Backup TOTP seeds?

qualys
qualys
Community Member
edited January 2021 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello!

I'm currently migrating my Authy TOTP codes one by one scanning the QR codes with 1Password in order to use 2FA with my own sites, as Authy doesn't provide a way to export my seeds.

Just of curiosity if I export a vault to an opvault file or .1pif will this also includes my seeds and will I be able to recover access to my codes from backup?

Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @qualys, welcome to the 1Password community!

That's an excellent question! Yes - the exported data will contain the full entry details, including the TOTP data. While the exported file doesn't contain your TOTP seeds in plaintext, the data can be re-imported into 1Password and the entry will continue generating TOTP codes that you can use to access your accounts.

Let me know if you have any questions! :smile:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@qualys
    Just to mention this. If you have all your TOTP codes in 1Password you can edit such an entry and copy the full path / url into e.g. another password manager if you want it.

So I took all of my TOTPs with me when playing around with other software and came back to 1Password. ;)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@qualys:

@DenalB is right, in 1Password you can also copy TOTP secrets manually. It is helpful in some situations. :)

If you have other questions, our team is always happy to help. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks @Greg! :+1:

• Thanks everyone. :smile: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.