The option to export from 1Password is grayed out.

Options
Sariputta
Sariputta
Community Member

Export option is grayed out in 1Password 7. I have "All Vaults" selected. Fix?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015) 1Password Store
Extension Version: No idea
OS Version: macOS Big Sur 11.1 (20C69)
Sync Type: No idea
Referrer: forum-search:Export grayed out

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Sariputta

I'm sorry for the trouble. Exporting can only be done from a specific vault. It cannot be done from the 'All Vaults' view. To export, please switch to the vault containing the items you wish to export. If you'd like to export from multiple vaults, you'd need to do each individually.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Sariputta
    Sariputta
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, thank you - that lets me get a little farther with the process, but not much. 1Password is simply declining to respond in any way to some of my commands, such as Check for Updates..., and now, I discover, it's doing it with Export as well. Your response let me get as far as selecting the Export command and entering my master password, after which...nothing at all happens. You may begin to understand why I want to export all the data I have stored in 1Password...

• Sariputta
    Sariputta
    Community Member
    Options

Do I need to start a new thread if the suggested fix doesn't suffice?

• Sariputta
    Sariputta
    Community Member
    Options

I posted a question earlier about exporting 1Password's data. I received a helpful response from Ben, but then immediately ran into another problem - Ben told me how to get the Export command un-grayed-out, but after I did that and entered my master password to okay the export, nothing at all happened. I had noticed earlier upon telling 1Password to check for updates that it did nothing when I gave it that command, and now it's doing nothing after I put in my master password to export data. I responded to this effect in my conversation with Ben but received no reply, so I'm guessing I need to start a new thread to get a response? Thanks...

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015) 1Password Store
    Extension Version: Not installed
    OS Version: macOS 11.1 (20C69)
    Sync Type: No idea - can't find anything about sync in prefs
    Referrer: forum-search:1Password not responding at all to some commands

• @Sariputta

You do not need to start a new thread. Please continue here. The forums/community is not a chat type service. Users and staff may come and go during the day. Let's see what we can do to get things sorted out.

Have you given1Password a complete quit? Please try these steps and let me know how it goes.

• Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder. Then try the export again.

I had noticed earlier upon telling 1Password to check for updates that it did nothing when I gave it that command,

How did you check for updates? We have an updater icon that shows in the Dock. This is a byproduct of a change that Apple made to show recently used applications. This updater will not run directly. You may receive an up to date message. It's best to check for updates from within the app.

From the menu bar, select 1Password 7 and "Check for Updates..."

• Sariputta
    Sariputta
    Community Member
    Options

Terrific - thank you, tommy, that did it (silly me - I thought that by quitting the app I was quitting the app "completely"). I've now, finally, managed to export my data.

I thought I was checking for updates by doing as you describe: choosing "Check for Updates..." from the 1Password 7 menu. In fact I'm sure of it...and yet when I go to that menu now (or to any other of 1Password 7's menus) there is no "Check for Updates..." item to be found.

• @Sariputta

If you do not see Check for Updates, you might be using the Mac App Store version. Open 1Password and got to Preferences > Updates. Is there an update tab? If so, you should be able to check for updates from there.

• Sariputta
    Sariputta
    Community Member
    Options

Aha - interesting; now that I've "completely" quit and relaunched 1Password, the "About..." panel has gone from saying "1Password Store" to saying "Mac App Store". And no, there is no reference to checking for updates in the Preferences pane either, beyond updating the list of compromised websites under the Watchtower tab. I can't find anything about checking for updates (to the app) anywhere in the UI. Typing "update" in the search field under the Help menu doesn't even return anything about updating 1Password - it only returns help about updating various aspects of the macOS and its software.

• Sariputta
    Sariputta
    Community Member
    Options

Oh...I guess that's because App Store apps rely on the App Store's update system, huh?

Meh...I don't like not having the option to check for updates. I'll have to remember that when I buy apps through the App Store in future.

Anyway, I got my export done and learned a lot about 1Password (and that installing the App Store version on top of the 1Password Store version leaves matters somewhat confused and less than fully functional).

Thank you for your help. I'll have to reassess whether I want to continue using 1Password now that it's working more as it's supposed to. I still think it's poorly designed software, but if it contributes more to my computing than it detracts, it's worth holding onto. We'll see.

• @Sariputta

You are free to use either version. If you would like to switch to the website version, you can do that. That will bring back the check for updates. If you continue to use the Mac App Store version, the Mac App Store will handle all updates.

• The Mac App Store version does not support our licenses. If you have a license, you will need to use the version from our site.
  • Sariputta
    Sariputta
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting. Okay - thank you.

• You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.