Biometric unlock not working

Options

The biometric feature doesn't appear in my browser. However, sometimes, it seems to unlock on its own without me doing anything, but not always.

My browser, showing the 1password desktop app is open:

Demo from latest blog post:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @hallsofmontezuma 👋

I'm glad you reached out. The new Shared Lock State feature we just released should be enabled and working automatically. I'm curious if you're able to unlock the 1Password for Mac desktop app with Touch ID. Could you double check that for me?

I'm hoping a restart will solve some issues, so let's start there. Can you please hold down the option key and click the 1Password icon in the right side of your menu bar? Then click on Quit 1Password Completely. Additionally, right click on the Chrome icon in your dock and select Quit. Go ahead and reopen both 1Password and Chrome once that's done.

Give it a quick test, and let me know how you get on!

• hallsofmontezuma
    hallsofmontezuma
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kaitlyn,

Thanks for your reply.

I can unlock 1Password for Mac with Touch ID.
    Restarting Chrome and 1Password doesn't help.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional details @hallsofmontezuma .

Let's make sure that all moving parts here are up to date:

• Chrome should be on version 91 or higher.
    • The 1Password extension in the browser should be on version 2.0.1 or higher.
    • The 1Password desktop app should be on version 7.8.5 .

If that is indeed your setup, please give your computer a restart, open and unlock the desktop app first, then launch Chrome, wait a few moments and see if the extension unlocks by itself. If it did, then you should be good to go.

If it didn't unlock by itself, let's try setting this up in a cleaner test environment:

1. Create a new user profile in Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2364824
    2. Switch into the new profile and install only 1Password in it: zhttps://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/
    3. After installing it, 1Password should set itself up automatically via the desktop app and add your accounts into itself. If it asks you to sign into your account on our website, then it is unable to communicate with the desktop app for some reason, in which case we'll need you to send us a diagnostics report and some logs.
  • travelton1
    travelton1
    Community Member
    Options

I too have issues with the Chrome 1pass not automatically unlocking when the local app vaults are unlocked via TouchID. Restarting Chrome, the local app, and my computer doesn't seem to fix it. The only way I've been able to reliably fix it is to disable and enable the extension.

1. Right click on the 1Pass Icon in the extensions bar.
    2. Select "Manage Extensions"
    3. Toggle the extension off, then on.

I do have multiple Chrome profiles, and often I have both profiles open. Curious if this is causing issues.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2021
    Options

Thanks for the info @travelton1

If you find a way to reproduce this issue on demand, please let us know how so we can forward it to our developers for improvement.

• travelton1
    travelton1
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron Are there any tips for troubleshooting this? It continues to occur, and is really frustrating. I noticed yesterday that 1password notified me that my browser was (apologies, can't remember the exact verbiage) unverified and that this might be because Chrome is updating. I quit and started Chrome back up, and now the 1password extension does not sync state with the my local 1password application that's currently unlocked. Restarted everything, toggled the extension on and off, no change.

• @travelton1

It might be useful for us to get a better look. I'd like to ask you to grab a console log from your browser, as well as a diagnostics report from your Mac. Send it to support@1password.com with a link to our current topic thread. We'll take a look and let you know what we find.

• jasonoviedo
    jasonoviedo
    Community Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

Guys, truth is the latest extensions are not working properly. They lock down after seconds and/or randomly. TouchId is not prompted, even if 1password main app is open. It happens in all browsers (Chrome, Safari, Brave). I've tried with Safari new extension (cmd+shift+x) and old extension (cmd+). Sorry guys to say this, [profanity removed by 1Password staff, this is a family friendly forum] even though it looks nice and works nice on the few occasions that work as intended. For what I've read, this is far from being isolated incidents. You broke usability completely on this release

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasonoviedo:

TouchId is not prompted, even if 1password main app is open.

For confirmation, when you say "open", do you mean open and locked, or open and unlocked?

I've tried with Safari new extension (cmd+shift+x) and old extension (cmd+)

Cmd+Shift+X is the keyboard shortcut for when you use the new browser extension in Chrome or Firefox, Safari still uses the Cmd+\ keyboard shortcut (or the shortcut you configured under 1Password for Mac Preferences > General tab > Keyboard shortcuts section, so if that's not working for you, it's worth double checking that you did not set the keyboard shortcut to something else.

• jasonoviedo
    jasonoviedo
    Community Member
    Options

For confirmation, when you say "open", do you mean open and locked, or open and unlocked?

Both, the user experience is just not consistent. Sometimes unlock works. Sometimes I doesn’t. Sometimes the extension shows, sometime it doesn’t. That’s precisely the problem, non consistent, non predictable experience. I’ve used 1Password for a decade, I can clearly tell the experience broke after the release of the new browser based extensions.

Cmd+Shift+X is the keyboard shortcut for when you use the new browser extension in Chrome or Firefox, Safari still uses the Cmd+\ keyboard shortcu….

I use 1Password extensions (v2.0.2) in chrome an brave, cmd + shift + x tends to pop up the extension consistently. But it hardly ever offers Touch ID for unlocking, and it locks down unpredictably, sometimes after just a tab change.
    In safari, I have tried using 1Password mini (cmd + ) , which hardly ever works, I think there is a mismatch in the expected safari version or something, I need to restart the laptop in order for the extension just to pop up (just google 1password for safari not working, check this article for example: https://piunikaweb.com/2021/05/17/1password-working-with-apple-to-resolve-macos-safari-chrome-bug/)

I also installed the new web based safari extension (which also opens using cmd+shift+x) with similar results. In practice, I’ve had to resort mostly to just having main app open and copy passwords from there.

Sorry the long rant, this is just to emphasize my point, USER EXPERIENCE IS BROKEN. Love the product, but please, please, please, fix usability.

• @jasonoviedo

The inconsistencies you've mentioned are certainly troubling. It might be useful for us to get a better look at what's happening on your Mac. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac and send it to us at support+x@1password.com. This would go a long way in helping us pin down any underlying issues that could be interfering with native messaging between your browser(s) and 1Password.

• acpigeon
    acpigeon
    Community Member
    Options

I am struggling with the extension biometric functionality as well. I have two profiles within Chrome, one of the profiles works with fingerprint unlock, the other always requires password input.

• Chrome version: Version 92.0.4515.131 (Official Build) (x86_64)
    • 1Password Extension version: 2.0.5
    • The same problem happens when trying to use the Sidekick browser, which is built on top of Chromium, version: Version 90.10.12.11943 (Official Build) (x86_64)
  • ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @acpigeon ,

What is the version of the 1Password app installed on your computer?
    Are you on a Mac or on a Windows PC?

• acpigeon
    acpigeon
    Community Member
    Options

This is a mac, desktop app version: 7.8.7 (70807004)

• acpigeon
    acpigeon
    Community Member
    Options

Just confirmed that the Chrome extension still asks for the password when the desktop app is unlocked.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@acpigeon:

Can you please send us some logs so we can take a closer look for you?

After you have sent the email, please post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• acpigeon
    acpigeon
    Community Member
    Options

Here are the instructions I received over email that fixed the issue with Chrome:
    1. Quit 1Password completely by holding down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar beside the  logo.
    2. Quit your browser.
    3. Restart your Mac.
    4. Open and unlock 1Password.
    5. Open your browser and test again to see if the issue is resolved.

Both my Chrome profiles now can use biometrics! This didn't work for Sidekick (which is based on Chromium), digging in a bit more to see if that can be addressed also.

• acpigeon
    acpigeon
    Community Member
    Options

And got it working with Sidekick after updating the 1Password app beta version. Thanks to email support for working with me on this :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @acpigeon! I am glad to hear that both things are working for you now :)

• chrisnat
    chrisnat
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_ana, not to hijack the thread, but I have the exact same issue. I am also using Sidekick as my main browser (Sidekick runs on Chromium).

Can I switch to the 1Password Beta Version as well, and if yes, how can I do that?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @chrisnat ,
    Yes you can.

Here's how to install the beta version of the desktop app and below it you will also find the beta version of our extension: https://support.1password.com/betas/

Give your computer a restart after installing both for good measures.
    In case things still don't work as expected, send us the following to support+x@1password.com:

• chrisnat
    chrisnat
    Community Member
    Options

I am still experiencing the problem. It seems the extension fails to communicate with the desktop app (Desktop app port disconnected. Error: Specified native messaging host not found.)

I followed your instructions to send a detailed problem report.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @chrisnat ,

We'll continue the conversation via email after we look at the logs you sent :)

• IvoNet
    IvoNet
    Community Member
    Options

Has this been resolved? I am experiencing the same problems with Google Chrome. All other browsers work just fine (safari / brave / firefox). I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension in multiple orders with and without reboots in between or restarts of the app (both browser and 1Password) also in multiple orders.

• @IvoNet

Which version of 1Password are you using? Can you help me out and specify the issue you're experiencing? This topic started about biometric unlocking but seems to touch on other subjects. I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.