Open and Fill Problems

jasnw
jasnw
Community Member
edited June 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Recently switched from v6 to v7 and having lots of problems. Will start with this one. I open the 1Password app, select a login item, and select "Open and Fill" in the website box. One of two things happens. If a browser window is open (Firefox 89.0) nothing happens. If no browser window is open, the menu drops down from the Mini icon in the menu bar. In neither case is the selected website opened. Also, in the case where a browser window is open, the Mini icon becomes non-responsive to a left-click and I need to shut 1Password down completely to get that resolved.

1Password Version: 7.8.5
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @jasnw,

I am sorry to say that it seems like Apple changed how browsers behave when minimized after a new update. To ensure 1Password can work correctly, please keep your browser open in the background (Not minimized on the dock) or use the 1Password extension in your browser to save and fill instead of the 1Password desktop app.

Regarding "open and fill" feature does not work in the 1Password desktop app. Please give your computer a restart first, and it should put things back on track most of the time.

If resetting your computer doesn't do the trick, you can try these additional steps to see if we can bring 1Password back and go from there.

Open the 1Password app => select 1Password 7 in the menu bar => Preferences => Browsers => Make sure that you turn on "Always keep 1Password extension helper running" option. If that option is on, you can close Preferences => Click on Help (On the 1Password menu bar on top of your computer) => TroubleShooting => Restart 1Password Extension helper.

If that doesn't work, please don't hesitate to send us an email at your convenience, and we will be with you shortly. https://support.1password.com/contact-us/

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member

Rebooted and tried "open and fill" from 1Password with Firefox open. No change in behavior from what I described in my original post. Tried doing this from the browser extension (which I reloaded yesterday) and got the same behavior. Didn't go to the website selected, and the Mini icon is not responding. I was able to restart the extension helper, but that doesn't solve the basic problem. I'll also sent this via email.

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member

More information. I was using the "classic" extension. I deleted that and installed the new version of the extension, and that appears to be working. I would, however, like to get the classic version working because that allows me to use my local password database and the new version uses only the online database.

• Nhat_Nguyen
    edited June 2021

Hello @jasnw,

Thank you for getting back. I got your email to our support page, let us continue from there, and we can update the process here later.

• derekmegyesi
    derekmegyesi
    Community Member

Morning all,

I too experienced this issue. I found that clicking the 'Restart 1Password Extension helper' solved my issue. Thanks :)

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the heads up, @derekmegyesi! I'll keep that in mind if anyone else runs into the same issue. :)

This discussion has been closed.