FezVrasta
    Community Member
    Options

The standalone browser extension

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@cantgetagoodsn that's a nice list of applications or to be more correct websites / wrappers for websites. But none of them has created a desktop program or application. So you are comparing different things.
    I think absolutely no one including Apple is expecting developers to follow the HIG exactly word by word. But there is a huge difference between interpreting the HIG in order to optimize the UX/UI or completely ignoring the most basic UI principles like closing a window top left or top right.
    I've been using the early access version almost from day one on a separate partition/test installation and whenever I switch between my 1PW7 installation and the early access version I'm more than happy to leave early access as soon as possible. We got plenty of updates but not a single one has really changed even small parts of the UI on macOS to make it feel more naturally. And even pretty big regressions like the broken search, non working shortcut assignment on non English keyboard were fixed.

@Lars the home app is indeed a pretty bad example of Apple's own apps. Ironically it's a badly ported catalyst iOS app quite similar to AgileBits Electron approach with it's custom UI.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hey @FezVrasta - no current plans to release an SDK for our back-end, no. Also, just FYI, we no longer use 1Password X for the current browser extension; it's just called 1Password in the browser.

• Generic1PasswordUser
    Options

Well I have to say, I'm coming around to version 8. I've just got a new M1 Pro and performance is really good, especially for an electron app. I also switched to the Nightly builds and I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised.

Would I like a truly native app? Sure, but after seeing the progress of v8 on the Nightly builds I may finally have an electron app that is good!

(BTW, please can you inform Microsoft how you've done this as they're very much in the terrible Electron camp with Teams.)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the encouraging words, @Generic1PasswordUser! I don't have any contacts at Microsoft, but I'm very glad you like the direction 1Password 8 for Mac is headed. Stay tuned, there's plenty more to come. :)

• Ben
    Options

@FezVrasta

We found an unused animation that was running constantly in the background, eating up CPU time. We've removed that. The change should be in the latest nightly build. Please let us know if the higher than expected usage continues after you've had a chance to try a version with this change.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.