1Password for Safari does not work with standalone vaults [iOS Password AutoFill is available]

Options

Comments

• brank
    brank
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to ruin your weekend, my friend. At least it's comforting to know there's plenty of us who use 1Password in "unconventional" ways and we're not the crazy ones here which is how the 1Password owner's response made it seem to be, that anyone who used this feature was nuts.

• Bigozorus
    Bigozorus
    Community Member
    Options

So disappointed again by how you are treating you’re old customer and supporters. I think it’s over between us, I won’t recommend you again and I’m not going to subscribe you’re stupid monthly plan. I was there since 2015 and 1P v.4

• brank
    brank
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

This was covered in this week's Reddit AMA thread where the 1Password founder, Dave answered questions from the audience. And I'm sure much to his surprise, the most upvoted question was about share sheets.

Here's the gist of Dave's response:

"In all honesty I haven't used the share sheet in years and the same can be said for most of our team. If you have a standalone license, feel free to email customer service for 50% off for the first three years of subscription."

Hope that helps.

• blackph0en1x
    blackph0en1x
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

I am giving a try at bitwarden and so far import from 1Password worked. iOS app has both share sheet functionality and autofill.
    Free accounts are stored in cloud by bitwarden's servers but with $10/year you get a license to host your own bitwarden server.
    I asked them to enable Premium account trials, if you want, feel free to support my request at https://community.bitwarden.com/t/individual-premium-account-trial/33759/2 and retweet this https://twitter.com/theblackph0en1x/status/1441710670165204992?s=20
    At the moment this is the best alternative I have found and I think I will switch everything over to a self hosted solution on my pi4.

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member
    Options

1Password's original implementation worked only with Safari and used the Mac keychain to store the database. If they had stuck with that model they would be out of business. Apple now does everything the original 1Password did. In this environment they have to innovate or die and it is quite clear from their responses here, there, and everywhere, their memberships are their innovation.

AB said in another thread:

Standalone licenses are no longer for sale. Membership is the future.

That is the most clear statement anyone could ask for. If that isn't what you're into, then find something else. Maybe Apple's keychain does everything you need and is free with your Apple device.

• blackph0en1x
    blackph0en1x
    Community Member
    Options

@soshiito I think most of us have understood this. The problem is they purposely removed the share sheet function in iOS at all taking away a core functionality we all have paid for in version 7.x. This is not a correct behavior from AgileBits and they surely know they are blackmailing user into switching to their subscription model. In iOS 15 you can use plugins (if you have a subscription) but what happens to who is still on iOS 14?
    AgileBits is unfair to their customers and I am doing my best to get a complete refund from Apple because they removed core functionality I already paid for.

• Olivaw
    Olivaw
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

I registered just now just to add my voice of discontent to this thread.

I’ve used 1Password for years and have paid several times to upgrade the standalone 1Password on my Mac.

Only today did I notice you broke the share sheet function in iOS when I needed to access it, which I tend to need several times a week.

I hadn’t updated to iOS 15 on my iPad yet, so thought that might be needed to restore the functionality. When I did and tried to enable the extension, I was told it wouldn’t work with my standalone vault (which is on iCloud, so not exactly standalone) and found I’d need to subscribe to your software as a service?!

And in this thread I’ve also found that you’re completely removing support for standalone vaults from the next version of 1Password?!

I will not subscribe to SaaS. So, sadly, it looks like it’s time to move to an alternative. Thankfully iCloud Keychain has greatly improved since I first started using 1Password.

Congrats, AgileBits. You’ve lost a loyal customer who’d happily paid to upgrade the app on Mac several times over the years and sent several customers your way who’ve also paid for standalone licences. Once I’ve decided on an alternative, I’ll be recommending they move away, too.

• Olivaw
    Olivaw
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

I registered just to add my discontent to this thread.

I've been a 1Password customer for many years (edit: apparently since 2015), paying at least three times to upgrade the standalone 1Password for Mac (edit: apparently just twice - once for the initial licence and once to upgrade to version 7).

Today, I found 1Password in share sheets wasn't working on my iPad. I use this function at least a few times a week with sites that don't seem to trigger auto-fill properly. At first, I thought the issue was that I hadn't yet updated my iPad to iPadOS 15, so I did that. Then, when I tried to enable the extension in Safari, I had the prompt that the extention doesn't work with standalone vaults and that I'd need to subscribe to your software as a service to regain similar funcitonality that you removed!?!

And then I came here, found this thread, and learned that you're actually going to break (sorry, 'remove support for') standalone vaults in the near future?

I will not subscribe to SaaS.

So apparently it's time to look for an alternative to 1Password. Thankfully iCloud Keychain has greatly improved since I first started using 1Password many years ago.

Congrats, AgileBits. You managed to push away this loyal customer who's not only happily paid to upgrade the standalond 1Password for Mac app, but also referred a few friends who themselves paid for the standalone licence. As soon as I decide on a replacement, I'll be recommending it to them, too.

• brank
    brank
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

@Olivaw the thing is, agilebits doesn’t care about you. I didn’t realize it until I started reading up on the company but they took venture capitalist money and now need to constantly grow. Per their AMA, they released 1password 7, the first paid standalone upgrade in 5 years and got very few people upgrading from 6 and couldn’t keep running their business in a way that would keep expanding quickly enough for the VCs.

Once you take VC money, the only that thing that matters is short-term growth. Else since the VCs control the board, they oust the CEO and implement their own leadership who will prioritize short-term growth over all else. ROI is the name of the game.

When 1password 7 stand alone license flopped, instead of looking in the mirror and saying “maybe we didn’t provide enough value for the price of the 7.0 release, maybe we hired too many developers, maybe our operating costs are too high” they instead said, “stand-alone software licenses are broken, we need SaaS”

It’s very similar to incels who don’t shower, don’t dress well, don’t eat well, don’t exercise, and then women don’t want to date them. But there’s something wrong with women! How dare women not date them? Something must be fundamentally wrong with dating!

• Olivaw
    Olivaw
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure why, but editing my post apparently deleted it. So repost:
    ///

I've been a 1Password customer for many years, paying at least three times to upgrade the standalone 1Password for Mac. (edit: apparently just twice - once to buy the initial licence and the second to upgrade to v7.)

Today, I found 1Password in share sheets wasn't working on my iPad. I use this function at least a few times a week with sites that don't seem to trigger auto-fill properly. At first, I thought the issue was that I hadn't yet updated my iPad to iPadOS 15, so I did that. Then, when I tried to enable the extension in Safari, I had the prompt that the extention doesn't work with standalone vaults and that I'd need to subscribe to your software as a service to regain similar funcitonality that you removed!?!

And then I came here, found this thread, and learned that you're actually going to break (sorry, 'remove support for') standalone vaults in the near future?

So apparently it's time to look for an alternative to 1Password. Thankfully iCloud Keychain has greatly improved since I first started using 1Password many years ago.

Congrats, AgileBits. You managed to push away this loyal customer who's not only happily paid to upgrade the standalond 1Password for Mac app several times, but also referred a few friends who themselves paid for the standalone licence. As soon as I decide on a replacement, I'll be recommending it to them, too.

• Olivaw
    Olivaw
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure why, but editing my post deleted it. So trying again:

I've been a 1Password customer for many years, paying at least three times to upgrade the standalone 1Password for Mac. (edit: apparently just twice - once for the initial purchase and the second to upgrade to v7.)

Congrats, AgileBits. You managed to push away this loyal customer who's not only happily paid to upgrade the standalond 1Password for Mac app several times, but also referred a few friends who themselves paid for the standalone licence. As soon as I decide on a replacement, I'll be recommending it to them, too.

• blackph0en1x
    blackph0en1x
    Community Member
    Options

If you have some IT skills, (very little) spare time and a place to host it I would suggest implementing a "self hosted" bitwarden instance. I just did that and will let you know how it works. Just need to figure out how to transfer my current data from 1Password as it seems that data export is not working correctly...

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

@Aaron Pinsker, AB frequently merges threads with the same topic.

• brank
    brank
    Community Member
    Options

@Aaron Pinsker Oh yes, good point that AgileBits made it really difficult to even find the standalone license purchase option. It was buried down several layers deep and you really had to know where to look.

• atteSmythe
    atteSmythe
    Community Member
    Options

As of a few days ago (I assume an update), 1Password is no longer in the "Share" list in any of my iOS applications. I had hoped that this was due to some difference between iOS 14 and 15, but after updating the operating system, 1Password is still missing from the share sheet. Uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password didn't help. Is there a setting or something to reenable it?

1Password Version: 7.8.1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS 15

• brank
    brank
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @atteSmythe

Thanks for joining our little community. Several of us made accounts this week to point out the same thing only to learn that it was intentionally removed to force us into a subscription model and because none of the 1Password team ever used it, so therefore none of the customers must be using it. And it's old, and newer ways exist that work better 95% of the time. So as long as you're not in that 5% (which I am, unfortunately), you'll love the new auto-fill feature.

• atteSmythe
    atteSmythe
    Community Member
    Options

I don’t understand why I should find this information in a thread about standalone vaults, when I am a subscriber. It’s also deeply disappointing that this team is so out of touch with user stories that they would dismiss anything outside their personal workflows.

I’ll give them some scant time to change their minds, but password management is a crowded space, and I’m sure I can find an a company who sees their app as applying to and assisting workflows for all personally identifiable information, not just passwords.

• atteSmythe
    atteSmythe
    Community Member
    Options

@brank That explanation doesn’t make sense to me. I’m a subscriber who will be driven away by this loss of functionality. I actually do like the built-in model for password completion, but this does not bring feature parity - it doesn’t offer to fill identity information or credit cards, and if the site is coded in such a way that the password fill option is not offered, the share sheet was a fast way to manually copy the password without leaving the application

• Olivaw
    Olivaw
    Community Member
    Options

So I’ve looked into these alternatives:

iCloud Keychain I really want to use it (they’ve even introduced TOTP for iOS 15 and it’s coming in macOS Monterey), but lack of support on macOS for browsers other than Safari and lack of support for multiple urls for an account is a big minus for me. Apple’s clearly putting effort into making it better, but it’s not far enough along for me; maybe next year.

KeePassXC I really like this. It’s free and open source and pretty flexible. I’d probably go with Strongbox premium for the iOS app. Minuses are that it doesn’t have an extension for Safari on macOS and I’m not really keen on syncing being the whole database file. (I’m aware of KeeShare, but unfortunately that’s not supported by Strongbox).

BitWarden This looks to be the closest of the three to 1Password in functionality and browser support. The free version requires hosting with them, but the 1 user premium sub is a very reasonable $10 per year and includes the ability to self host. In principle I prefer self host, but BitWarden actually gives a fantastic reason for hosting with them in the form of emergency access, which really sounds a pretty fantastic and secure implementation.

From this, I decided to give BitWarden a try and so far it’s looking good after a day of play. Assuming I continue to like it after a week, I’ll also migrate my husband over to his own $10 per year licence, too. I’d have gone with KeePassXC if it had a browser extension for Safari on macOS, but at the charity where I work, I’m actually going to recommend we pilot KeePassXC.

If 1password decision makers are reading this, you could take a cue from BitWarden on reasonable pricing for a sub model and the importance of continuing to support self-hosting, while at the same time providing a reasonable justification to host it with you that leaves the final decision ultimately with the customer.

• blackph0en1x
    blackph0en1x
    Community Member
    Options

@Olivaw I took the same path. Tried bitwarden free online and later found out about self hosting. I asked some question on their forum and got lot of support. Just to be clear there is an error on bitwarden's pricing page. You are able to self host with the free version too but you will only get option available on the free tier hosted by bitwarden. I've gone with the premium subscription too because I needed TOTP support and honestly think that $10/year is a reasonable price.

• tezutaku
    tezutaku
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

Why can't I use the in-app Volt?
    There is no choice but to disable the 1P extension of Safari.

• blackph0en1x
    blackph0en1x
    Community Member
    Options

@Aaron Pinsker Please share how you are doing this. The links I got from @AppleSupport on twitter don't work because I can't select the app because it was purchased several time ago. Thanks

This discussion has been closed.