1Password for Safari does not work with standalone vaults [iOS Password AutoFill is available]

Options
124»

Comments

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member
    Options

Good luck, @Aaron Pinsker. 1Password is the "App of the Day" on the App Store today. Apple has never been afraid of breaking things in order to make way for forward progress. See for example the removal of the headphone jack. "Courage." AB has historically been on top of adding new Apple features on day one. Highly doubt Apple care about the death of the share sheet especially in light of AB adopting their newest tech: Safari web extensions.

• brank
    brank
    Community Member
    Options

@Aaron Pinsker Is it really a violation of apples TOS is AB removes a feature none of their staff even used?

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

@Aaron Pinsker @brank Funny, their staff was surely enjoying the new extension support all summer long while iOS was in beta. They demo'd it working in action the very night the first iOS 15 betas were released. They make it sound like it was SO much work and there was no time to look into standalone vaults. The founder, @dteare has been the epitome of a coward in this whole thing. Keeps saying how sorry he is and how he wishes he had a mulligan for some of his mistakes but is unwilling to fix things for all of us. I hope you all continue to crush the 1 star reviews and make them feel the pain of their actions.. I simply won't tolerate this nonsense.. I could give 2 sh*ts if Dave hadn't used the share sheet in ages.. he's been also enjoying the browser extensions beta for quite some time!

• brank
    brank
    Community Member
    Options

@volcom45 The founder admitted he made a mistake. He wrote a really nice multi-paragraph response admitting he could maybe have done things better. What more do you want from the poor guy? You can’t possibly expect him to fix the mistake, too?

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member
    Options

Standalone has been dead for a long time. The writing has been on the wall. Now they have said as much. It is unfortunate it took them so long to come out and admit it, but they have. They are not going to expend any further effort on it and the experience will only degrade. If you want local vaults, 1Password is not the thing for you and has not been for some time.

If you want the 1Password experience then a membership and the Safari web extension is going to give you that. If you do not, then your efforts would be better spent researching which alternative product has what you want. Complaining here, on social media, to Apple, and in App Store reviews is a waste of your time.

The best you might hope for if you want "local" vaults in 1Password is the self-hosted thing they have talked about, but made no promises on.

• blackph0en1x
    blackph0en1x
    Community Member
    Options

I just moved on and switched completely to bitwarden.

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member
    Options

I see. Thank you for adding clarity.

• brank
    brank
    Community Member
    Options

@Aaron Pinsker interesting. This then becomes a cost-benefit analysis for AB.

What does it cost to re-implement 7.78 in a way that users can get it again. Perhaps simply adding that code back into the newest 7.8x code as a 7.9 release. Then releasing 1password 8 as a separate app. Allow 7.9 to use share sheets and local vaults. Call it “1Password Legacy” and say “we’ve listened to our long-term customers and do not want to abandon them and hope they’ll someday decide to join us in the future”

Separate out 8.0 as the newest version as a separate app.

That has a cost to do this.

There’s also a cost not to do it. Each negative 1 star review on the App Store might be 10 or 100 or 1000 or more potential lost customers at a lifetime marginal value of $X which maybe when your NPV it, is between $500 and $1000.

So does the development cost of righting their admitted wrong exceed the cost of lost revenue from bad publicity? I don’t know the cost of re-developing 7.9 into the App Store as a separate app. Or even heck if they don’t split into two apps, just give us a warning to download the IPA to side load if we ever get a new device or mistakenly click “update all”

I would imagine the development cost is marginal and is likely lower than the cost of customer service dealing with confused and upset long-term customers. And that it’s far lower than the cost of missed revenue based on bad App Store reviews. The problem is we don’t know how forward-looking AB is. Their leadership team is likely very technical coders. And economics is tough for the novice to understand because it involves seeing the unseen.

Certainly, they can see the cost of releasing a legacy 1password app alongside the new 8.0. They can’t see the cost of not doing it, because that costs is potentially 1000s of subscriptions that are not purchased. How do you see a subscription not purchased?

The best advice I could give, if money is the only consideration, is to estimate the cost of lost subscriptions by monitoring the App Store reviews closely. And comparing subscriptions/downloads from current time when reviews are abysmal to the past when reviews were glowing. Adjust for seasonality. Perhaps comparing this year to last year around the same time is a better analysis than this week to last month because maybe 1password signups aren’t uniformly distributed throughout the year for whatever reason.

Although over time, potential customer base increases so don’t compare last September to this September. Compare growth rates. From the last week of September 2020 to the last week of September 2021, did the growth rate increase or decrease?

Of course this analysis is only necessary is money is important. If honor is important than they should revert the change to live up to their word. And if pride is more important then it doesn’t matter how many lost subs occur and how much missed revenue, reverting the change would admit defeat and hurt their pride.

So it depends on if they want to optimize for money, honor, or pride, and i would estimate reverting the change optimizes for both money and honor. Keeping the change as-is is a pure pride play.

This discussion has been closed.