Set default collection/vault for saving in 1Password 8

124»

Comments

• ajfordajford
    Community Member

Tossing in my support for this feature. I'm using the Family Plan, and regularly make use of a "Household" vault where shared household items and general shared things go, and the "Shared" vault where things we share with the kids go. However, the desktop app (where I routinely add notes, devices, insurance cards, etc) all require an extra step to put these items into the Household vault instead of the Private vault.

Given the fact that this exists in the browser extension it seems like something you should be able to backport to the desktop app, and it's clearly desired by at least a subset of users. For functionality that USED TO BE IN THE DESKTOP APP to be dropped and entirely ignored when you have customers requesting it.

• DMcWettyDMcWetty
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P Can you elaborate on why this critical feature was even removed in the first place? Was there some motive to kneecap the app for families? I don't mind keeping my family on 1P7 for the time being, but that's not a permanent solution.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

1Password 8 is a new app, built from the ground up. There are a lot of reasons for that, but tl;dr v8 isn't an update on top of the existing v7 code. Everything we wanted to include had to be built essentially from scratch. I wish I had more encouraging news to share here, but what I can say is that I've been advocating for this feature on your behalf to our product team. They have the challenge of weighing all of the various requests and ideas and deciding which will be the most impactful and what we have the engineering and design resources to accomplish. We continue to iterate on 1Password 8 and are building cool new things that customers are asking for all the time. Hopefully this, or something that addresses this use case, will bubble to the surface.

Ben

• jbg232jbg232
    Community Member

I would say that it's great to be "building cool new things" but without taking the prior "things" away. To me, that seems like an essential part of building a product, ie not taking away features of that product that customers were using (and I would add are the reason they are even using the product to begin with...)

• jms_1pjms_1p
    Community Member

With regards to the missing default vault setting (in 1Password 8), it's been reported above that the community feedback has been heard and reported to the development group. But unless I've missed it, we've not heard if the developers plan to add it back and, if so, is there a timetable that can be shared. Also we've not heard if 1Password 7 will be fully supported until this feature is added to 1Password 8.

As a person that supports other mac users professionally and personally, I've recommended 1Password to many. If there are no plans to add this feature back, then I need to change future recommendations and help former users migrate to another password strategy,

This timing is particularly troublesome as I'm getting more questions regarding the advantages of 1Password as iOS and macOS improve native support of passwords (e.g. 2FA).

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi folks,

As a company we tend to hold future plans pretty close to the chest. Good, bad, or indifferent, that's how we've chosen to operate. That said, I'll do the best I can to be transparent.

But unless I've missed it, we've not heard if the developers plan to add it back

There are no plans for this to return as it was in 1Password 7. We do have some changes we're planning that we hope will address the use cases outlined here, but it won't be a 1:1 with what existed previously.

and, if so, is there a timetable that can be shared.

I'm afraid not. The changes I mentioned above are part of a much larger effort, and so it will be a while before we see them in-app.

Also we've not heard if 1Password 7 will be fully supported until this feature is added to 1Password 8.

With the launch of 1Password 8, 1Password 7 is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. Although you can continue to use 1Password 7, it’s best to use the latest version of 1Password that includes all the latest features and security updates. For now, my recommendation for folks who want this would be to use the setting in the 1Password browser extension to set the vault to save new items in. To access those settings: right click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar, then select settings from the menu that appears.

Ben

• jms_1pjms_1p
    Community Member

Ben, thank you for the quick and mostly transparent reply. With that said, I don't understand this comment:

We do have some changes we're planning that we hope will address the use cases outlined here, but it won't be a 1:1 with what existed previously.

One could speculate. Maybe users will be able to change the displayed order of the vaults and new entries will be entered in the top vault. Obviously this is only a guess.

With the launch of 1Password 8, 1Password 7 is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates.

Important? Does that mean that some of the security updates to v8 will not be rolled into v7?

it’s best to use the latest version of 1Password that includes all the latest features and security updates.

This is a blanket statement that frankly deserves more nuance. It's certainly not best for me, many of my users, and others in this thread; that is, unless security or functionality of v7 becomes a problem. I hope developers at 1Password understand the latest features are not necessarily more important than formerly available features.

use the setting in the 1Password browser extension to set the vault to save new items in.

If changing this setting in the extension also changed the behavior in the v8 Electron app, then it would be clumsy but a suitable stopgap until the feature was added to the app. But my guess is that this change in the browser has no effect on the v8 app.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file