Set default collection/vault for saving in 1Password 8

Hello,

I am taking the 1Password 8 beta for a spin, and am trying to figure out how to translate one feature I use regularly in 7 into the 1Password 8 equivalent.

I have four vaults I have access to. Three are for me and contain logins I regularly use. The last one is a shared family vault that contains most of the parents' passwords. On all 1Password 7 installs, I exclude that last vault from the "All Vaults" group. I only want to pull up its logins when I explicitly ask for it. Also, on the parents' installs, I always set the "vault for saving" to the shared family vault.

For the former setup (me wanting to search all vaults except the family vault, it appears I can use the new "Collections" feature. However, it doesn't seem like there is an easy way to set a "default" collection that always pulls up when I launch the app. Any chance this could get added?

For the later, I also don't see a "vault for saving" option in the new app. Is there a new equivalent of this or is it something that could be added?

Thanks,
Lucas

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• Hi @lucasec,

Thanks for your feedback here! 1Password should be opening the collection you had active when closing 1Password. If this isn't the case, let me know, and I'll be happy to dig into it further with you.

As for the default saving vault, as the destination vault can be edited during the creation process, there currently isn't a way to configure an overriding default vault across all collections, but I know that this is definitely something that can be useful, so I've added your feedback to an internal issue we have on the subject.

Thanks again!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#9846

• At least for me, the main 1Password 8 app and the quick search view will come back up to the last collection but the collection resets to "All Vaults" when 1Password locks. So the default is not durable. It definitely does not survive reboots either.

• ag_anaag_ana 1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @lucasec, noted :+1:

• defiantdefiant
    edited January 5

Also seeing this with a family account on 1PW 8 for Mac and Windows

If I choose a collection, quitting the app and starting it again it just defaults to family account (or whatever it's called) which contains all vaults, rather than the previously used collection

If I choose a collection, then lock and unlock 1 password it defaults to the family account not the previously used collection

• PeterG_1PPeterG_1P

Team Member

Thank you @defiant for the additional detail. We're looking into this issue!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file