IOS app not available in Russia no more?

Options
Sszark
Sszark
Community Member
edited March 2022 in iOS

Is this a mistake, or you're going to suspend your business in Russia? Should existing users from Russia worry about their data accessibility?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• demas1252
    demas1252
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, they should. And not only from Russia. If a company takes away access to your data, this is a reason to think about whether it can be trusted to store them.

• throwaway187241
    throwaway187241
    Community Member
    Options

That's a strange decision. Let's hope the 1Password team issues an official statement. People remove their apps when they cross the border because they have to show their phones. Removing access to the app is dangerous and non-ethical. 1Password claimed to be privacy focused, but it takes privacy away from those who need it most.

• dropbear
    dropbear
    Community Member
    Options

Haven’t seen a 1P announcement. An official statement is appropriate. It needs to be posted to r/1password

• damianrodriguez
    damianrodriguez
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hey, community!

I need to change my billing and credit card information. For some context, I am a Bolivia Citizen that has been living in Russia for the last year, due to recent events I had to close my business there and move back to Bolivia, my 1password account had a Russian billing address and a Russian bank credit card. So far I was able to remove my billing address but I am unable to add a credit card. The message I receive is that 1password is not supported in my country? Bolivia is not supported or probably my account is under lockdown due to sanctions? Does anybody has any ideas! Thanks beforehand!

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

• antonme
    antonme
    Community Member
    Options

It’s really weird that there are actions but no public statement. That is not what you want from a company that handles your most private and important data. I am incredibly disappointed and disillusioned with 1Password.

The support email also answers none of my factual questions and just replies with some impersonal template text:

“Given the circumstances surrounding the invasion of Ukraine, we’re unable to accept payments from individuals or organisations in Russia at this time. But don’t worry, your data is always yours. If your subscription ends, you can access your 1Password data in the 1Password app on any device where you have already added the account. “

I do believe they have the right to stop service if they want to. It is the way they’re doing it is not worthy of the company I thought I knew and loved for many years. And I have been their customer since 2007.

• Hi @damianrodriguez:

As this is a rapidly evolving situation, and because each individual's circumstances may be different, we would have to work directly with you on your unique case. Since you've already reached out to us via email, continuing that conversation would be best.

Jack

ref: QAF-88853-313

• Sergji
    Sergji
    Community Member
    Options

Problem with payments, but why have they removed the possibility to top up and activate a gift card for Russia. Why other companies based in the US are very loyal to users from Russia and allow them to pay in cryptocurrency, I've been using 1pass since version 4 and this is just such a set-up. Why kill user loyalty in one fell swoop, what are ordinary people to blame? Nothing.

• vadimm
    vadimm
    Community Member
    Options

we’re unable to accept payments from individuals or organisations in Russia at this time

actually, there are some ways. I can't believe 1password does this. When we need it most to hide our data from the totalitarian regime.

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

https://blog.1password.com/responding-to-the-conflict-in-ukraine/

@Jeff Shiner
    As a current customer, not happy about this at all. I am based in the USA and now left to wonder if one day my country will be blacklisted and I'll be left stranded in a read-only mode without my password app that I've come to rely on every single day.

I for one love 1PW 8 and the Agilebits sync subscription but this action gives this model a huge black eye . Standalone licenses and local/dropbox hosting would've prevented this from happening.

There is no reason to punish the people of Russia. I would venture a guess that a huge portion of the population is against this war. I am also frankly quite appalled that you would base politics over the well-being of your loyal customers.

**This is THE worst decision in AgileBits history and should give pause to its all current customers **

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    Options

As an American, I am frankly really appalled by this decision.

• Ben
    Options

@antonme

A public statement is now available here:

Responding to the conflict in Ukraine

I apologize for the delay, but as Jack said above this is a rapidly evolving sitauton, and so we had to take the time to make sure we were on the right track. As Jack also mentioned, if anyone needs to discuss their individual situation, please email us: support@1password.com.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.