Now that 1password 8 for Mac is released. What would happen to version 7?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

What kind of future support are we looking at for version 7? macOS 13 support? future security updates? Would love to hear any plans that AgileBits team has in mind.

1Password Version: 7.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• Hey @wattachai:

Great question! Now that 1Password 8 is released, 1Password 7 for Mac will no longer receive updates. Although you can continue to use 1Password 7, we'd recommend using the latest version of 1Password so you can receive feature and security updates, so you should upgrade to 1Password 8 when you have a chance.

If you have any questions or concerns about upgrading to 1Password 8, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Jack

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P thanks for your prompt reply.

What about 7.9.5 beta 0 as shown here? https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7? Do you plan to cancel this release as well? It would be bad news for sidekick and arc browser users.

• user12345
    user12345
    Community Member
    Options

I hope you will provide security updates for 1Password 7 for some time. I have no plans of "upgrading" to the Electron based 1Password 8.

I just moved away from the app store version to the version downloaded from your website to avoid eventually having it auto update to version 8. App store updates have also been problematic every single time so I'm fine with that, but I do want security updates. That's important.

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi @Jack.P_1P huge concern here since 1password 8 is NOT in the App Store, so I have no safe enough way to "upgrade" to the "new and upgraded" electron based 1password 8.

• Hey @user12345:

Generally speaking we'd recommend using the most up to date version of 1Password. With that said, 1Password 7, whether it's downloaded from our website or the Mac App Store, will not update to 1Password 8 without your express permission.

@xmarcelo:

Would you mind sharing a bit more about your concerns about the safety of upgrading? As it currently stands, 1Password 8 is only available directly from our website, but we haven't closed any doors just yet and we are evaluating our options for 1Password 8 for Mac on the Mac App Store. Signing up here would be the best bet if you'd like to be kept in the loop: https://1password.com/mac-app-store-subscribe/

Jack

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

hi @Jack.P_1P

While from my perspective this all move to electron is way out of the right direction, I still wanted to keep using 1Password, and —why not—, recommending it, but taking it out of the Mac App Store opens a lot of doors and windows for security-related problems. Think not of tech-savvy users, but our mothers and grandmas. If they have to download anything from outside the App Store then you're not making it easier for them. I'm also worried moving out of the App Store means in the near future you'll stop supporting the Mac. Even Microsoft Office can be downloaded now from the App Store, so moving out of it looks like a bad sign of nightmares to come.

• Hi @xmarcelo:

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll share your feedback with the team as we continue to evaluate our options.

Jack

• hezor
    hezor
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

I'd like to see 1Password 7 being supported for a long time. 1Password 8 is the first 1Password ever that I had to downgrade because it simply is just so much more worse than 7. I've been using 1Password since 2012 and never before have I had to do this. Too bad, because it requires so much effort to migrate to another password manager solution, but it starts to look like it needs to be done when 1Password 7 loses all the support.

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    Options

Would the 1Password team please continue to provide security updates for 1Password 7 Mac for a period of time while the inevitable kinks get worked out of 1Password 8 for Mac?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@hezor and @billj

Thank you for the reply. 1Password 8 is the future and I would love to hear more about the issues that you're both running into so that we can improve 1Password 8 and make it even better.

I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

This discussion has been closed.