1Password 8 Printing

Options

Comments

• TheMacMommy
    TheMacMommy
    Community Member
    Options

First off, I am clawing my way towards a paperless life. Paper causes so many problems and I loathe how much is still on paper that doesn't need to be. However, I have to chime in an echo the same sentiments as those who have posted before me regarding the need to print out a hard copy, even if it's something temporary or to be used as a stepping stone into living the zen life of 1Password that I enjoy. In an ideal world, everyone would use 1Password, but unless you've worked closely with the elderly and some of their families, you might not be able to appreciate just how much of an ask it is to get them to use, maintain, and purchase a subscription to a password manager, let alone most technology. This is a population of people for whom 1Password is becoming a really essential estate planning tool.

Senior citizens are also some of our most vulnerable when it comes to scams which makes it even more crucial to use a password manager with them. Teaching them about their growing digital footprint is a monumental task at times. Many of them are dealing with cognitive decline or recovering from a stroke or illness. Most family members are either unaware or just overwhelmed with this part of aging so they hire help. Paperless in an incredibly hard sell for a lot of senior citizens and their families yet, so upgrading to version 8 will not win them over if they can't have a hard copy. To them, not having a hard copy means out of sight, out of mind and then they will forget all of what 1Password can grow to contain. Many seniors live on a fixed income where their family manage their finances and then we as consultants have to go and try to sell a 1Password subscription to them. I've been doing this for many years and from my experience, it's when I've printed out a hard copy they can store in their safe that they truly see the value in 1Password as an estate planning tool. That's when they will want to pay for it when they can really see and hold in their hands what it does.

I know it's been explained that the printing feature wasn't removed from 1Password 8; that it was just not baked in because it's a rewrite from the ground up, but to those of us who've been using 1Password for ourselves and teaching our clients for a decade or more, it's a lost feature from our perspective and one that WE will have to justify to our clients when we advise them to upgrade. I do not disagree with any of the reasons for why you shouldn't print out passwords. I always discourage my clients from doing so, but some of them are just at a point where they really do need the crutch of paper to even get started using a password manager. It's truly better than the alternative of them writing their passwords on scraps of paper in a disorganized manner that results in data loss or getting locked out.

I believe being able to print hard copy could be a selling feature. You already make it so 1Password users can share their passwords in a web browser to others who don't have 1Password and there's an advertising opportunity when that happens. Why not do something similar with hard copy printouts? Add warnings about why it's better to use 1Password in the cloud and why it's better to share with a Family Plan β€” put it literally in writing on the printout that explains what will happen when they need to update a password or details about something in their estate planning. Design a 1Password Paper Shredder character and put it on the printouts to encourage them to let go of the paper because their details are safely stored an accessible from the cloud. Give them an opportunity to think about how they could make their family's lives easier with estate management by using software β€” even if it results in printing paper for a little while to get them around the learning curve and embracing how information can be beautiful.

• @RossA,

Thanks for sharing your feedback and use case, I can see how printing would apply in a scenario where you don't intend on keeping items that needs to be shared with folks who may not use 1Password. I've added a proxy vote on your behalf to our internal tracker. πŸ‘πŸ»

@TheMacMommy,

I appreciate you taking the time to write this post and share your insight. I think you make some excellent points about meeting people where they're at and how we might see printing as an onboarding step instead of a final destination. I've shared these thoughts with the team and added you to our internal tracker on the topic. πŸ™‚

ref: IDEA-I-1475
    ref: IDEA-I-1458

• benedickmiller
    benedickmiller
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

Still waiting... please, please, restore (this is not a new feature request) the ability to print from 1Password. I believe it is the only app on my computer that has no print function.

Your own advice not to print sensitive data is not really true: when setting up a new 1Password account you recommend printing the Emergency Kit to keep in a safe place.

This is on your own web-site: Follow these tips to prepare your Emergency Kit and store it safely:

Print a copy to keep in a safe deposit box or with your passport or birth certificate.

There are many reasons to want to print one's own personal data. The fact that 1Password8 does not allow printing of a user's own personal data is a reason not to use it, a reason to look for an alternative. I would rather keep using 1Password as I have used it for many years, and it is very good, but sadly this feature, and this attitude to user's needs, may be the thing that drives me to use a different service in future.

• Hi @benedickmiller πŸ‘‹πŸ»

Thanks for sharing your feedback about this, you make an excellent point! While the benefit of printing your Emergency Kit vs your data itself is that printed data can't be updated the same way a 1Password account can, I do recognize why folks may still prefer it.

I've added your thoughts to our internal tracker on the topic, let me know if you have any questions. πŸ™‚

• benedickmiller
    benedickmiller
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply. I donβ€˜t want to sound belligerent, but again: the lack of a print option does not prevent printing, it just makes 1Password8 less user friendly. A user can make screen-shots & print them. A user can use Copy/Paste to a text editor and print the resulting document. This is more likely to lead to poor security as these documents may not get deleted after printing, due to simple human error or forgetfulness. I would argue that not being able to print, in a controlled manner (perhaps as an admin option in the Teams product for example) may lead to poorer security as outlined above. And finally, this is not a new feature request, this used to be possible. I upgraded in good faith expecting more or better features, not expecting a reduced feature set.

• mtryJT
    mtryJT
    Community Member
    Options

I'd also very much like to be able to print a hard copy of all my passwords so I can keep a hard copy in my bank safe deposit box -- partially as a fail-safe, but mainly for my wife (who has very limited tech skills and doesn't know how to use 1Password) in case I become incapacitated or die. My previous version of 1Password for Mac allowed me to print a copy, but 1Password for Mac 8.9.4 doesn't seem to have that capability and I would really like to have that print capability back soon.

If that's not imminent, is there a way I can downgrade to an earlier version of 1Password for Mac that does still allow printing all the passwords for storage in a safe deposit box?

• @benedickmiller

Thank you for the feedback, I can confirm that Andrew has passed along your previous comments to the product team and I've added your latest comment as well.

@mtryJT

At the moment, 1Password 8 does not include a print feature and I've added your vote in favour of such a feature to our internal tracker. My recommendation would be to print and store a copy of your Emergency Kit in your bank's safe deposit box: Get to know your Emergency Kit

1Password 7 is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates going forward. I recommend that you continue to use 1Password 8. That being said, if you would like to revert back to 1Password 7 then you can follow these steps:

1. Click on the 1Password 8 icon in the menubar and click Quit.
    2. Open your Applications folder and drag 1Password 8 to the trash.
    3. Restart your Mac.
    4. Open your Applications folder and double-click on "1Password 7.app.zip" to restore the backup copy of 1Password 7.
    5. Double-click on 1Password 7.

I hope that helps. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• fthomsen
    fthomsen
    Community Member
    Options

Please add the print feature again to 1P 8!

• @fthomsen

Thank you for the feedback! I've added your vote to the feature request tracking item. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• BTWBL
    BTWBL
    Community Member
    Options

Along with many others, I'd like to add my voice to the request of being able to regain the ability print out ones passwords in v8. A lot of good feedback has been provided already, but I resonate the most with the comment made by @Tangible409 : "Removing it substitutes your judgement for that of your customers".

Thank you for taking a moment to read this.

• @BTWBL

Thank you for the feedback. I've added your vote as well. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• AkamaiGuy
    AkamaiGuy
    Community Member
    Options

I completely agree with RossA's September 28 comment. I have the same use case: leaving an organization where I have kept all work related passwords in my 1Password (in their own separate vault) and I need an efficient way to turn over all of them (152 items) and then erase from my system.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@AkamaiGuy

While I can't speak on behalf of the 1Password folks, you can export as 1PUX and convert one or more of the contained vaults to CSV using the onepux converter in the converter suite. See the README.

• AkamaiGuy
    AkamaiGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, MRC. Thanks for the suggestion. I can even export as a .csv right form the beginning (without needing the 1PUX step), but it does not allow me to specific just one vault -- it exports everything, including my personal information, so I now have to go through the .csv line by line and deleting what is not related to my former employer, and it 1) means I could make a mistake and 2) there is a cleartext document on my desktop (subject to time machine, offsite backups, etc -- which I've disabled, but the possibility exists that I did not do that in time).

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@AkamaiGuy

Yes, however the CSV export from 1Password 8 is very limited. If it satisfies your need, then by all means use it. The method I mentioned above allows a full export, and allows you to specify exactly which vault(s) you want output to CSV.

Do what's best for you.

• AkamaiGuy
    AkamaiGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @MrC. I investigated that option but am getting errors in the Terminal that look related to needing install things to my host machine that I don't feel comfortable doing. I'll just grit it out with the manual removal of items from the .csv. But I do appreciate the suggestions.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@AkamaiGuy

You shouldn't need to install anything. Regardless, if you can let me know what the error is, I can follow-up.

$ /usr/bin/perl convert.pl onepux -v --to_format csv testfiles/1pux/1PUX_Definitions.1pux
    Import summary:
       26 items discovered
    Export summary:
        1 document item
        1 email item
        2 login items
        2 note items
        1 database item
        1 wireless item
        1 software item
        2 bankacct items
        2 password items
        1 rewards item
        1 creditcard item
        1 outdoorlicense item
        1 medicalrecord item
        1 server item
        1 identity item
        1 socialsecurity item
        1 driverlicense item
        1 sshkey item
        1 membership item
        1 cryptowallet item
        1 apicredential item
        1 passport item
       26 total items
    Your output file is:
        /Users/cappella/Desktop/MCS_converted.csv

• AkamaiGuy
    AkamaiGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Appreciated. But that's ok. I've already scrubbed the file and triple checked. But thank you, very much, for trying to help me.

• andrew.l_1P
    edited November 2022
    Options

@CliffGudgeon,

Thanks for your feedback on this topic, I understand the importance of your family being able to access information in case of an emergency. I've added a vote on your behalf to our internal tracker on the topic, but in the meantime I recommend having a copy of your Emergency Kit stored somewhere safe. If filled out and up to date, this will contain the credentials necessary to access your 1Password account and the data it contains.

The down side of printing copies of your data is that if anything were to change, a company being compromised and you needing to change your password there, for example, that printed copy will then be out of date. Maintaining access to your 1Password account ensures that the data available is accurate.

Let me know how this goes for you or if you have any questions.

@AkamaiGuy,

Glad to see you found an alternative that worked for you! Ideally moving or copying items between 1Password accounts would be the easiest and safest way to transfer logins to an organization you're leaving, but I recognize this is only possible if they themselves use 1Password.

I appreciate you sharing your feedback and use case, I've also added a vote on your behalf to this feature request. Let me know if you have any questions. πŸ™‚

• AkamaiGuy
    AkamaiGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @CliffGudgeon . Thanks for your response, though I know the first half of it is boilerplate and does not apply to my situation. I needed to get information to a non-1Password user and I only wanted to export one vault (and not have to go through the Terminal to have to do it). Just having the ability to choose the vault upon exporting to .csv would have solved the problem. Once my former employer gets the data, it's on him to keep it up to date and not my problem.

• Appreciate the additional details, @AkamaiGuy! I agree it sounds like a vault-specific export option would've worked in this case. We have an open feature request to bring this to 1Password 8 so I'll add your voice to that as well. πŸ™‚

ref: IDEA-I-777

• AkamaiGuy
    AkamaiGuy
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thanks! I appreciate that.

While you’re at it, could you add in a feature request to restore the ability to edit items details from the mini window (or whatever it is now called in 1Password 8)? There are so many more clicks that need to be done right now to make changes than in 1password 7 which still feels like the superior version user interface wise even after all these months on the new version.

• Hi @AkamaiGuy,

Done! In case it helps in the meantime, you can use Quick Access to open an item in 1Password to edit it there. The keyboard shortcut for this is Shift+Cmd+O once the item is highlighted in Quick Access.

Your feedback has been recorded though and I understand how it would be useful to edit directly from the separate window. Thanks for letting us know this is important to you!

ref: IDEA-I-610

• taenzerme
    taenzerme
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there!

Add me as another request to bring back printing to v8!

Use case here: Sometimes we set up computers for customers and create accounts on several platforms for them. We store the initial passwords in 1Password and printed them out, handing them the prints with the computer (and request them to change them after first login). Had to reinstall v7 for this.

Kind regards
    Sebastian

• @taenzerme

I've passed along your feedback to the product team. πŸ™‚

In the meantime, are you already aware of our secure sharing link feature? It allows you to share items, securely and safely, with other people even if they're not using 1Password themselves. In your case, you could send your customers a share link to an item that contains their passwords:

-Dave

• taenzerme
    taenzerme
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave, thanks for your feedback!

Sure, we use this all day for many customers. Thing is, especially older people don't understand the sharing feature and miss they can show the password using the dropdown. The UI is somewhat counterintuitive. Especially for older people and people not very "IT-affine" people a simple handout helps a lot.

I'm all in for saving trees and paper, but sometimes you need a simple sheet of paper to get things done ;-)

• taenzerme
    taenzerme
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

@Dave_1P : Also, let's say we I have to sign up the customer for MS365 for email and 3-4 other online services. Sending out multiple mails to someone just getting a new email account... well, it doesn't work ;-)

• @taenzerme

Thank you for the reply. You can add multiple usernames/password/URLs to a single item by using custom fields: Customize your 1Password items

That being said, I can definitely see how a printed copy would help lots of folks. πŸ™‚

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.