1Password 8 Printing

Options
13»

Comments

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, add me to the list as well, we have to keep using 1PW7 because of this feature. Its really disappointing when vendors remove features that we are actively depending on...

• Your feedback's been recorded, @wavesound, thanks for letting us know this is important to you. Let me know if there's anything else we can help with. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-1458

• abc123
    abc123
    Community Member
    Options

1password is a great product. This episode should have all of us wondering: what is really motivating the decisions being made by the engineers?

Best case scenario: engineers rushed an incomplete product out the door.

Worst case scenario: engineers think a hard copy backup will never be needed on their “foolproof product.

Regardless, engineers’ interests are not aligned with ours when it comes to robust availability of our data during a large scale failure, hack, or death.

Please add me to the list: correct this regression.

Thank you!

• Thanks for your kind words and feedback, @abc123.

I've added your voice to our internal tracker on this topic, let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

• johnnygoodface
    johnnygoodface
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

WHAT???? No printing???? WHY WHY WHY???? Security is killing features, again! I needed to print my own card to save to my bank vault this morning, but I guess I'll have to export, then open, then print, what a mess!

I also used to print certain cards (set with tags) that I'd include with my will for my dad. But now that option is gone!!! (yeah yeah I save all my passwords to a USB key, but that's much harder to use compared to a good old fashion piece of paper)

Just for that I regret to have upgraded to 8. So disappointed.

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• PeterG_1P
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hi folks, I have added your votes to our internal issue tracker regarding printing items. Thank you!

@johnnygoodface I'd be interested to learn more about your use case here - for example, I'm not sure what you meant about printing your card to save to a bank vault.

@CliffGudgeon - I think what's happening is that the export feature is exporting all the items from a given account. We do have an internal issue open to be able to export a given subset of items - let me know if you'd like me to add a vote on your behalf and I'll be happy to do so. 👍

ref: IDEA-I-777

• johnnygoodface
    johnnygoodface
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P Once a month I print my own Identity Card which contain a bunch of personal information, password, lock combinaisons, encryption keys for USBs, etc. I put that paper sheet in my bank vault so that it's easily readable for when I'm gone.

Also, I've tags a bunch of logins entries (for example: "ForDad") and all print those on a regular basis again for my bank vault. I'm doing all that because it's much easier to read this information compared to using a USB Key (1. plug in the encrypted USB key, 2. type in its password, 3. open the file (remember that CSV or 1PUX are not easy to print for someone NOT good with computers) 4. print ALL the passwords, 5. and finally look for the needed password within all those printed passwords)

Please re-instate the print functionality

Thanks

• mhbmhbmhb
    mhbmhbmhb
    Community Member
    Options

Wow seriously you can not export your file and print from 1PW 8? I just paid for a 1-year family plan and I knew this was a feature available in the past. Why would you take this away?

• @johnnygoodface,

Thanks for sharing more details about your use case. We generally recommend using a copy of your Emergency Kit for similar purposes. As the data stored in 1Password is dynamic and always subject to change, keeping a safe way to access your account can ensure more accuracy than keeping a static copy of the data itself. That said though, we do recognize the part we play in estate planning and hope to bring improvements in the future. I've shared your feedback with the rest of the team.

@mhbmhbmhb,

It is still possible to export from 1Password 8, you can find more information on our website: How to export data from 1Password

I've also added your feedback re: printing to our internal tracker on the topic, thanks for letting us know it's important to you.

ref: IDEA-I-285

• rporegan
    rporegan
    Community Member
    Options

Add my vote to enable printing. My use is a little different from the other commenters here, so I thought I would add my perspective. I use 1Password as a secure vault for a small number of documents and information that I need to access. They often contain things that I need to share - medications I take, medical histories, the dates and batch numbers of vaccinations, and so on… I'm not printing out passwords (although I might need to do that too at some point), but I do need a simple way to print such information while also keeping it secure. 1Password was how I accomplished all of those things. Please restore ASAP..

• @rporegan

Thank you for sharing your use case, I've passed it along to the team. 🙂

In the meantime, you can still print the items that you mentioned individually when you log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app).

-Dave

• johnnygoodface
    johnnygoodface
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

Print individually on the Web (and in colour in top of that!) ? I didn’t know it was a thing. Now if you could make it work with tags (to do multi-printing) I could live with that… easier within the app and more flexible but web only would do a very good first step!

• @johnnygoodface

Thank you for the suggestion! I've passed it along to the product team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-30498904

• tsee
    tsee
    Community Member
    Options

Adding my perspective on why I want to print everything in my 1password vault.

It was suggested that the info in the vaults changes often. Actually the reason I use 1password is so I can make very complex/long passwords for my most important (financial, credit card, etc) logins. They do not change often. I usually only change them when I learn about a hack on the site i have a login for. I also have multi-factor-auth on all of those login's.

I have a "second tier" of logins to sites where I don't have credit card, bank, or other critical info. I've started using 1password on those sites to make more complex logins, so again they don't change often.

I have a family vault with my spouse, and a separate one for work. It is quite possible that my wife or I will make a mistake (fat finger, copy/paste error, or whatever) and loose a login. I used to print a hardcopy list every so often and put it in the safe "just in case". A "belt and suspenders" approach if you will.

It's been said a number of times that printing is not secure. It would be helpful to know exactly what the risks are. I.e if my macBook drive is encrypted, and I print to my home wifi network printer over a secure connection and the printer is secure, is that a big risk relative to all the other ways that bad actors are trying to steal our credentials? What i'm suggesting is that 1password should allow printing, and help us understand and minimize the risks we are taking.

Thanks!
    Tom

• @tsee

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback! One of the problems with printing your passwords is something called "versioning". Sure, you could print all of the items in your vault and then, momentarily, have a perfect copy. But the copy would only remain a perfect copy until you changed one of your items. And then you'd need to update just that one item in your printed copy since you probably don't want to print dozens or hundreds of pages when you change just one item. In my experience, maintaining a printed copy of items can get unwieldy very quickly. What if you update a username for a website while you're on vacation and away from your printed copy? You might forget to update the printed copy when you return because of the stress associated with travel. Or what if a family member changes something in an item that is in a shared vault without telling you? Suddenly your printed copy is outdated and you won't even know it.

That being said, there are ways around this problem. For example, 1Password could set a tag letting you know that an item was updated and then the tag could be automatically removed when you print that item. That is definitely something that has been suggested to the team before.

When it comes to the risks of printing your items there are a couple big ones that I can detail off the top of my head:

1. When items are stored in 1Password they're protected by our end-to-end encryption. The only way to unlock 1Password and see your items is by using your account password and Secret Key. A printed copy of your items is no longer protected by that encryption but is available plain text to anyone who might stumble across it.
    2. Even when the 1Password app is unlocked 1Password still has other systems that continue to protect your data. For example, on the Mac we invoke a macOS security feature called Secure Input when you edit an item to make sure that what you type into 1Password won't be intercepted by other applications or keyloggers. When you print items our security processes are no longer involved and your data goes through your system unencrypted and unprotected by 1Password. This means that not only does your printer have access to your items, but so does the printer's driver, the communications method between your computer and the printer, and any apps or appliances on your device, the printer, or the network, that might be snooping along the way.

Are you trying to make your items available to someone else in the case of an emergency? Or are you concerned about something happening to 1Password and you'd like to have a backup of your data just in case?

-Dave

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member
    Options

I look forward to news of being able to print out accounts, passwords too in a secure manner.

• @9AmberMoog

Thank you for adding your voice. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-30626377

• PaulRussam
    PaulRussam
    Community Member
    Options

My reason for wanting it is simple:
    I have many passwords/logins related to my employer, should I leave I need to be able to give them a copy, not only to ensure they can continue to login to the site/whatever but more importantly so that I can't be accused of denying them access post my leaving.
    I want to be able to hand them a printout/pdf with everything related to them, have them acknowledge they received it and then be done.
    Suggesting that they get 1P is a no go as "they know how to do passwords" (you can guess what that means).
    I just want a way to simply 'hand over' everything related to them should the need ever arise.

If there's another way to export all items with a particular tag in a universal format (pdf etc) I'm all ears.

• @PaulRussam

Thank you for the feedback. We have a special version of 1Password designed specifically for businesses and teams that makes employee onboarding and offboarding easy and secure and keeps company passwords under the control of the company. I encourage your employer to reach out to business@1password.com so that we can explore how 1Password can help.

-Dave

• tsee
    tsee
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P
    Thanks for the reply!
    You asked: "Are you trying to make your items available to someone else in the case of an emergency? Or are you concerned about something happening to 1Password and you'd like to have a backup of your data just in case?"
    Its actually both, and I'm concerned about "user error" where my wife or I just mess up some of our data.

I read your reply and have the following responses:

Versioning: Yes it is a concern, but it's something i'm willing to manage.

Tagging: An automatic tag on changed items would be interesting. But for me it would be more interesting to be able to print items that have a certain tag that i've added.

Risks of printing: The risks you outline are pretty much what i expected. It comes down to how much security i put on my local network and devices, and how much i trust all the hardware/software between 1password and the printed page. For the things I want to print, I either have MFA, or they are passwords for websites where I don't keep much PII or sensitive data(no credit cards, bank accts etc). So the risk level of printing is acceptable for me.

thank you!
    Tom

• @tsee

Its actually both, and I'm concerned about "user error" where my wife or I just mess up some of our data.

Even if you make a mistake or accidentally delete an item you can always restore that item or revert back to a previous version: View and restore previous versions of items

That being said, thank you for the feedback! I've passed along your request for a print feature to our product team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-30924080

• Charlzey
    Charlzey
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to printing passwords and putting them in a safe. Individually or a bunch at a time.

• abc123
    abc123
    Community Member
    Options

In software development, a regression is the introduction of a change that adversely affects existing features or functionality. As such, it is common for a regression to be observed as a bug.

Nobody is “requesting a feature”. We want you to correct a regression. Namely your “version eight” removes the ability to print. Or at least allow us to install version 7.

More importantly we want you to take robustness and security seriously. We want a product that works without internet, without payment, and even without electricity. This is what you get with a printout stored in a safe.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Charlzey

Thank you for adding your voice.

-Dave

ref: PB-31352588

• My colleagues and I have forwarded all of your requests to add printing to 1Password 8 to our product team. Changes to 1Password are planned and decided according to a variety of factors which include, but are not limited to, feedback from folks on the forums. We really appreciate everyone's thoughts and suggestions, they help us make 1Password even better.

I'm closing this thread since it's rather old now and I'd like to save folks from receiving notifications on each new comment. If anyone else would like to voice their request for this feature then please create a new thread. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.