Update from Beta issues

jFred
jFred
Community Member

I have been running 1PW 8 Beta for a while. I just tried to update to the production channel.

Downloaded the installer from the website and ran it. When trying to open up the desktop app, I get the following error (see screen shot) " You’ve used a newer version of 1Password on this device. Update to the latest version to keep using 1Password. Contact support@1password.com if you need help. ".

I used AppZapper to completely remove 1PW and reinstalled, same error. I also get the same error when opening up 1PW in the browser using 2.3.3 and Microsoft Edge

Thoughts?

1Password Version: 8.7 ?
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: MacOS 12.3.1

Comments

• jFred
    jFred
    Community Member

Update, just downloaded the latest Beta and was able to install. Beta version is: 80800011, on BETA channel.

What's the best way to get back to the production channel?

• Dave_1P
    edited May 2022

Hello @jFred! 👋

This issue can occur if you've used the nightly version of 1Password 8 and then tried to switch to the beta or production version. The Nightly version uses an updated database format that isn't yet available with the production version. The following steps will reset 1Password 8's data on your Mac so that 1Password 8 can download a fresh copy of your data from 1Password.com

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in the menu bar (if it's there) and click Quit.
    2. Open Finder, and click the Go menu > Go to Folder...
    3. In the box that appears, copy and paste the following exactly:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/

and press Return.

1. You'll see a folder called Data – right-click on the folder and select Compress "Data".
    2. Drag the original Data folder to the Trash.
    3. Wait a few moments and then open 1Password 8. You'll be taken through the first setup process.

Let me know if that helps or if you run into any issues. 😊

Edit: I've simplified the instructions so that they no longer require using the Terminal.

• gersam
    gersam
    Community Member

Is there going to be a fix so you can just update via the production installer?
    I have 5 family members who will need to update now that it is officially released.
    They won't have any idea on how to run terminal commands

• RichieB
    RichieB
    Community Member

While this work around does allow us to switch from the BETA channel to PRODUCTION channel I would have expected 1Password 8 to offer this switch interactively. A little pop-up saying "1Password 8 is now officially released, do you wish to stay on the BETA channel?" would have been nice.

• @RichieB

This has been brought up internally and the team is working to rectify this trouble. My apologies that you encountered this.

@gersam

Change the settings inside 1Password to production channel and when the next public update happens they should move over silently.

• jihad
    jihad
    Community Member

@Dave_1P I'm having the same issue, running your command gets me "No such file or directory".

Noting that:
    1. I use two accounts in my Mac. One for work and one personal. Where I try to access 1password from both usually. the issue happened when i tried accessing it from my other accounts and it broke both. :(

• jihad
    jihad
    Community Member

Update:
    So I had to Manually go to:
    /Users/[EACH MAC USER]/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data

And delete the .sqlite file, for each mac user I have on my machine. :D
    For some reason even if it was deleted from my current logged-in user only OR the other user only, it still doesn't work.

• jFred
    jFred
    Community Member

Thanks @Dave_1P, I am still on the beta and it's working. I did reset to the production channel in settings. Just waiting for the next prod release to propagate. I am happy to wait for that.

• @jihad

I'm happy to hear that you were able to resolve the issue. For anyone stumbling onto this thread in the future, I've edited my instructions above so that they're easier to follow and don't require the use of the Terminal.

@jFred

Sounds good! You'll be switched over to the production release on the next update. 😊

• nthanharding
    nthanharding
    Community Member

Same here, would be nice if there was any answers to these support queries!

• @nthanharding

Your posting to an issue from May. Do you have a support id from an email submission? If so, please provide it. What is the nature of the issue you're experiencing? With this request from May your issue may be different. Please let us know more.

This discussion has been closed.