1password installation stopped. A newer version is already installed

Options
josiahknight
josiahknight
Community Member

After trying to update my 1Password, I get a error message every time I restart the computer:

"1password installation stopped. A newer version is already installed"

This has me stuck in a endless loop of trying to install a update that I don't need. Please help in removing this updater.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.4
OS Version: Windows 10
Referrer: forum-search:1password installation stopped. a newer version is already installed

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hello @josiahknight, I'm sorry to learn you've encountered this problem. We'll help you get it fixed!

To start, I'd highly recommend signing into your account at 1Password.com, and doing a quick check-over of your data there. If everything looks OK, then download a copy of your Emergency Kit, which you'll need later on in this process.

Once that's done, we can proceed to part 2, below. 👍

Time for a Reset

Here is a procedure that will reset your local 1Password database. To be clear, it will not affect your data at 1Password.com, which is why it was important to verify that things look good there first.

What this will do is prompt your 1Password app to pull a good copy of your database down from our servers, which may be all that's needed to fix this issue. Here's what to do:

1. Verify that 1Password for Windows is closed: Right-click the 1Password icon in the system notification tray ( ^ ) at the bottom of your screen. Select Exit, if the process is running.
    2. In the Windows search bar type: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password and press enter. This will open the 1Password folder.
    3. Rename the "1password.sqlite" file to "1password-backup.sqlite".
    4. Reboot your PC and try to restart 1Password for Windows.

When the app comes up, sign in with the information contained in your Emergency Kit.

Does that fix the issue for you? I'll look forward to learning how this goes!

• josiahknight
    josiahknight
    Community Member
    Options

I went ahead and followed all the steps mentioned. The same message is still popping up when starting up the computer. No apparent change to the issue.

• Hello @josiahknight, I'm sorry to hear that you've continued to receive this message during the update process.

Can you please provide some additional details via email to support+windows@1Password.com so we can help to investigate? Please do not post these details in the forums.

If you are able to open and unlock 1Password, can you send a diagnostics report:

If you are unable to open and unlock 1Password, I'd like to ask you to send us some 1Password logs from your Windows device:
    1. In the Windows search bar copy and paste the following and press enter: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\logs\
    1. Select everything in this folder, and then right-click and choose Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.
    1. Then, attach that zip file to your reply here.

Can you also include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox. Thank you!

• josiahknight
    josiahknight
    Community Member
    Options

I have done so. Email on its way.

• AliH1P
    Options

Hey @josiahknight, we`ve received your email and should have a reply out to you shortly. Thanks!

ref: HSX-12156-927

This discussion has been closed.