Date format is incorrect in 1Password for Mac

Options

Comments

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

I’ve observed something new and different. When I look at an item with date the date format is DD/MM/YY. When I edit the same contacts it’s showing me DDMMMYYYY. My suggestion was that it appears in DDMMMYYYY format and show all orders. This is on iOS.
    On android it’s different. On my pixel it’s yyyy-mm-dd. This is when I open an item. In edit it’s Dd/m/yyyy.

• Mr_V
    Mr_V
    Community Member
    Options

Still no change for me as of v8.9.15 on macOS. Times and dates in 1Password remain stubbornly in US format, regardless of system settings.

• kamion
    kamion
    Community Member
    Options

When will the world date filter to the production version? I'm on the current 1Password for Mac 8.9.15 (80915001) and the dates are still the US version.

• @kamion

We don't have a date for when this will reach the Production version, but you can find out what's new each time 1Password updates by choosing the question-mark icon next to the "+ New Item" button, then What's New in the dropdown menu.

Alternatively, you can visit our 1Password Releases blog directly:

1Password Releases – Mac

• kamion
    kamion
    Community Member
    Options

The release note for 8.9.12 seems to say that localization for dates and time have been added.

but on 1Password for Mac 8.9.15 (80915001), the dates are still being shown in US format:

The Settings on my Mac are correct:

Is there some setting to be done or option to be turned on?

• okand
    okand
    Community Member
    Options

Using 8.10.0 and it still appears incorrectly for me. Changing the language to some other place in the world where the order is sensible doesn't change the numbers either, this behaves like it is hard-coded.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

same problem here - please correct the date format - this used to be correct but for some reason it's broken now

• okand
    okand
    Community Member
    Options

This only happens on mac by the way. The dates appear in the right order in version 8.10.0 on windows.

• jgwhite
    jgwhite
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

Are there any updates on this? I just botched my passport dates while booking a flight due to this issue. I’m using 1Password for Mac 8.10.0 (81000055).

• Mr_V
    Mr_V
    Community Member
    Options

I've been ignoring this as a minor annoyance, but like @jgwhite I just had real-world consequences when I based the answer to a colleague's question on a date I read from 1Password, leading to some embarrassment for me — 4 November, not April 11.

As a programmer myself, I tend to have understanding for the challenges developers face. But for heaven's sake, time/date representation is a solved issue where in any high-level language or framework, you have built-in facilities to do the hard work for you.

I cannot offhand think of a single Mac app I have ever used that had an issue with displaying times and dates in the format I selected system-wide. At which point I'm starting to think, if a company has this much of an issue fixing a trivial problem like this over such a long period of time, why would I believe they still have the technical savvy to protect those most personal secrets I entrusted to them?

I mean, come on. That cryptography and infosec stuff is supposed to be hard. This should be simple!

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

I wonder if this problem is caused by their switch to electron. Instead of having native controls that use system's date/time settings automatically they now have to do the conversion on their own. Nevertheless it's annoying that this is still not fixed after such a long period of time.

• mduchev
    mduchev
    Community Member
    Options

@kamion The same release notes are in the latest beta (8.10.1). Alas, the issue is still there. This is getting ridiculous at this point...

• ondrejfuhrer
    ondrejfuhrer
    Community Member
    Options

I was going to report the same thing and just saw so many complaints about this dating more than year back!?!?! This is getting a bit ridiculous to be honest.

• bmikle
    bmikle
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys! The current behavior (1Password for Mac 8.10.3 (81003012)) is quite weird. When I choose a date it shows in a proper format, matching my system settings (D-M-Y). However, after I save the date, it shows in US format (M-D-Y). Please fix this, it's extremely confusing.

• Thank you all for your patience and for continuing to report date/time localization issues for us to look into and fix. Our developers have completed some foundational work on addressing these issues which was included in the 8.9.12 update to 1Password but there is still more work to be done. I'm sorry for the frustration that the issue is causing and I want to assure everyone that our developers are working on this and hope to improve the situation even further with a future update to 1Password.

I've forwarded all of your comments to the development team so that they're aware of how the issue is affecting your workflows.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#8747

• Mr_V
    Mr_V
    Community Member
    Options

Still no change whatsoever in 8.10.4

I'm about to give up on all of this.

• Our developers still have this issue in their backlog and plan to release further localization fixes in the future.

-Dave

• jgwhite
    jgwhite
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

@Dave_1P thanks for personally replying to this thread, it’s appreciated.

After it’s all fixed I’d love to read a post-mortem on this issue. Speaking as a developer who’s had many run-ins with internationalisation (and time zones) I’m sure I’d learn a thing or two from y’all.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@jgwhite

Just in case there was a misunderstanding: I'm not founder Dave, just another Dave who also works at 1Password. 😊

After it’s all fixed I’d love to read a post-mortem on this issue. Speaking as a developer who’s had many run-ins with internationalisation (and time zones) I’m sure I’d learn a thing or two from y’all.

We'll definitely document the fix on our release notes but I'll pass along your specific request to our development team as well.

-Dave

• jgwhite
    jgwhite
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P ah ha! Well, your words on this topic are just as appreciated as founder Dave’s would be. Thanks for passing along my request!

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thank you again for the suggestion. 🙂

-Dave

• matiaskorhonen
    matiaskorhonen
    Community Member
    Options

The macOS app shows dates in the wrong format for my region and system settings.

A screen shot of the macOS 1Password app

As you can see from the screenshot, the date is shown as ‘MM/DD/YYYY’ which is not how most of the world wants to see dates. The language and and region settings in macOS are correct and every other app on the system shows dates and times as expected.

macOS date settings

1Password should respect the system settings for date formats, or at least provide a way to set the date format if you're not going to do that.

1Password Version: 8.10.4
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 13.3.1 (a)
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• wooliudo
    wooliudo
    Community Member
    Options

having exactly the same problem. The display format seems to be stuck in the weird US formating, regardless of system settings. Oddly, in editing mode, the format is following the system setting. But once it's saved, it'll revert back to US format

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

Why is it difficult to update the date format? Allow all possible options be available and let users choose which ever they want. The chosen format would remain for 1password.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@matiaskorhonen and @wooliudo

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. This is on our developer's backlog and I've added your reports to the internal work item open for the issue. We plan to get this fixed in a future update to 1Password.

-Dave

• SebDanielsson
    SebDanielsson
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

As a Mac user in Sweden but who prefer to have the system language set to English it would be really nice we could change the date and time format in 1Password. I've set the date format in macOS settings to the ISO standard which is what we use in Sweden but 1Password doesn't respect that and seems to default to the format that's used for the set language.

I would like 1Password to either:
    1. Use the date and time format that's configured for the operating system. In my case: YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS
    2. Or offer an option inside 1Password to override the default MM/DD/YYYY 12 hour clock behavior.

Note that the separators in the ISO standard separate year, month and day with dashes and not slashes😉

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @SebDanielsson! 👋

I'm sorry that 1Password isn't correctly localizing the date and time to match what you've set in macOS. This is a known issue that our developers have in their backlog and that we hope to fix in a future update. Of the two options that you presented we're aiming for the first: 1Password should match the locale settings of macOS on your Mac.

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to us. 🙂

-Dave

• SebDanielsson
    SebDanielsson
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome, can’t wait😃

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thank you again for the feedback. 🙂

-Dave

• Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

I just switched from 1P7 to 1P8 and ran into this frequently. It's really hard to always read and understand the dates in 1P8 correctly, especially because all other software shows the dates in the right notation. Please, please fix this and show you care as much about non-US customers. This is so unlike the 1Password quality I knew..