Date format is incorrect in 1Password for Mac

Options

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Arnoud

Thank you for the feedback and I'm sorry for the friction that the issue is causing. I've forwarded your request and comments to our development team so that they're aware of the impact to you.

-Dave

• leedxw
    leedxw
    Community Member
    Options

I came there to report the same thing. I have YYYY-MM-DD set as date format in macOS (13.4)

In 8.10.7 the date editor uses YYYY-MM-DD (but without leading zeros) but the display is still DD/MM/YYYY

• Dave_1P
    Options

@leedxw

I'm sorry that the issue is affecting your use of 1Password as well. I've added your report to the internal work item open for the issue.

-Dave

• nikxda
    nikxda
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I am having trouble with the date formats on macOS. My passport expiry is shown in MM/DD/YYYY, even though my date locale is clearly set to DD.MM.YYYY. In 1Password 7, as far as I can tell, it used to be DD/MM/YYYY.

I have literally had a ton of trouble because of this because I entered my passport expiry date wrong on an airline form. As both numbers in the date can be flipped and will still show a valid date, this error isn't easy to catch, either. After looking this up, it has been first reported over 1.5 years ago! That is not an acceptable timeframe!

Can you please share a specific timeline for this to be fixed? I have been in touch with email support over this and they told me it would be forwarded and eventually fixed. This was months ago as well, with no update at all. It is not a hard thing to fix! Yet, it causes a ton of trouble for the affected members.

I realize the company likely uses North American date formats, but please consider the impact on the European folks on here, too.

Cheers

1Password Version: 8.10.8
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS 13.4.1
    Browser: Not Provided

• Dave_1P
    Options

@nikxda

I'm sorry that you're also affected by the issue. I don't have an update to share at the moment but I can tell you that our developers are aware that this is something in need of fixing that is causing friction and frustration for many people.

I've passed along your comments to the team and I'll continue to push to have us improve how dates are localized so that we can improve the situation.

-Dave

• Smileybarry
    Smileybarry
    Community Member
    Options

Here to echo @nikxda . It’s been over a year and the one version still supporting date formats is now EOL, leaving non-US users with a broken format.

You even already have this partially programmed, as “created/modified” fields and the date fields in edit mode on iOS use the system format, but not date fields in “view” mode:

And in edit mode:

• posttoast
    posttoast
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this.

I noticed, just in time, that my drivers license would expire the 10th of May and not the 5th of October (5/10/2023 is October for me, not May). Was not happy about this. Come on guys, this is a very annoying bug that has actual real life implications.

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2023
    Options

@posttoast

Good morning! I'll let the team know you've encountered this. I'm sorry for the trouble.

ref: dev/core/core#8747

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

I’m surprised on how long does it take to take care of date format. This is going on since more than a year and still there’s no update for it? I’m sure this is one of the easiest part in the software compared to the complete app and the system.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

It‘s almost two years now since it was reported. For me this is slowly but surely also a sign of lack of respect towards your international customers.

• VincentBounce
    VincentBounce
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Unlike the Windows version, 1Password 8 macOS doesn't display dates properly. It doesn't follow the customized macOS date format set in the OS main settings. Please find screenshots below.

Mac

Mac settings

❌1 Pwd 8 Mac date display (not the format defined in the Mac settings)

Windows

Windows settings

✅1 Pwd 8 Windows date display (it's the good format defined in the Windows settings)

Thank you in advance for fixing this issue.

1Password Version: 8.10.8
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Not Provided

• fok
    fok
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue: macOS and iOS locale is set to 24 hour clock and German date format (dd.mm.yyyy), but this is ignored by 1Password 8.10.8 on both platforms and I see AM/PM and US date format.
    On iOS at least the timestamp for modified/created of an entry is correct, but data entries are not, on macOS both is broken.

This bug has been reported several times in the past by different people, but has been ignored until now. When will this finally be fixed?

It's very annoying and can lead to mistakes when you use 1Password to track passport and visa expiration dates. It's also very inconvenient when you always have to doublecheck the date format and calculate in your head.

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P @andrew.l_1P

Is the date format so difficult to manage? How long does it take for a small thing like this?
    On iPhone:
    View it for an item the format is M/DD/YY. In edit mode it’s DD MMM YYYY.
    On Android:
    View it for an item the format is YYYY-MM-DD. In edit mode it’s DD/M/YYYY.
    On Mac:
    View it for an item the format is M/DD/YY. In edit mode it’s DD/M/YYYY.

WHY SO WIERED AND FUNNY THING? Simple is let people choose the format in which they want to view date. Then keep it fixed.

• Hi @VincentBounce & @fok

Apologies for the trouble you have seen with date formatting in 1Password on Mac, this is a known issue that our development team have been actively investigating and working on. The team recently worked on improvements regarding this on Apple platforms which is currently available through the Nightly channel.

You can wait for the improvements to come to 1Password for Mac through the Beta and Production update channels, or you can access it now by switching to the Nightly channel: Use 1Password beta releases :)

• @vishalsheth

The team believes they have this resolved on Apple platforms which is currently available through our nightly channel.

If you'd like to use the nightly, we'd welcome your help to make sure everything is correct. If not, let us know and we can get this back before the team once again. Use 1Password beta/nightly releases

• cc @viswiz My post above if you're so inclined to give it a try.

• jgwhite
    jgwhite
    Community Member
    Options

Great to hear we’re close to seeing this resolved. I’ll reiterate my suggestion from earlier: it’d mean a lot to see an engineering post-mortem of some sort for this issue, even a brief one.

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

Thanks but I would not like to get on nighty version. I wold prefer stable versions only. If this is solved then why not push it out to normal versions?
    As I have shared in my earlier post that I would prefer supporting all combinations for date so when a user select a format, the same view remains good throughout 1password. I wold always prefer date and year in numbers and month in words to avoid any errors in reading dates.

• All improvements progress through a testing stage. Nightly > Beta > Production. A proposed improvement does not land immediately in our production builds. Testing is needed to ensure things work as desired. That's where folks like you can assist if you wish. If not, no worries, not everyone likes those things and that's ok, we understand that.

If the nightly/beta is not something you're interested in, the next best thing to do is to wait until the improvements make it to the production build. I can't speak on when that may happen but only that it will be after the team has taken it though all the build cycles.

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

It’s been 2years now that we’re talking about the date issue. I don’t thing it’s such a thing that it takes 2 years. I know the team is working hard to bring in great options.
    All of us know that move from 1pw7 to 1pw8 was not that great.
    When such features are ready it soils be pushed to the main version and not left for the whole new thing.
    Rome was not built in a day but also time didn’t appear in a day. The progress need to be seen.
    Your watc watchtower is already an issue.
    These are my views.

• Thank you for your views. The changes are in the nightlies where they will be until they reach the beta and finally the production builds.

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

I understand but features like date can’t take so long.

• pixelmachine
    pixelmachine
    Community Member
    Options

I think this issue must be one of the most perfect example of Brooks's law I've ever seen. I second the request from the previous poster for a write up from Dave T. This issue and how it's been handled has severely damaged my trust in 1Password.

• ndfred
    ndfred
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I also got quite confused in the past with birthdates on passeports showing up in the wrong format, UK locale with French language on macOS here, will try the nightly build and let you know if the problem is fixed.

I find the tone of the replies quite troubling here: "please release to prod right away" is not what I would expect from a critical app like 1Password, so I am actually glad this goes through all the typical testing and release stages along with all the other improvements in the next release, while I understand the "BUT I NEED IT NOW" feeling, this is software development 101 really.

And a lot of people looking for someone to blame / calling for a public post-mortem post for what is arguably a minor issue instead of testing / giving feedback on the nighly build that fixes the very issue they complained about and is by definition super tricky to test across all different locales. Help by testing, to make sure you don't complain a couple weeks from now when the fix doesn't work for you! Contrary to anyone's intuition, calendar / locale bugs are really tricky to get right.

Off we go:

• ndfred
    ndfred
    Community Member
    Options

Hit this issue as I was looking up birthdates in passeports, so super happy to see this fixed. For complainers, please test the nightly to make sure it fixes your problem, contrary to what I have seen calendar / locale bugs are tricky to fix because you have such a complicated matrix of setups (every country out there basically).

Kind of baffled that the response to "we've fixed it" is "please skip all the testing and dump this into prod" or "point me to someone I can blame through a post-mortem post" and no "I've just tested this and it solved my issue". If this goes to prod in a few weeks and doesn't fix your problem you will be mad again, so do your part and test it to see if it solves the problem you care about.

• ndfred
    ndfred
    Community Member
    Options

Case in point: the latest nightly didn't fix the issue for me.

1Password for Mac 8.10.12 (81012006)
    macOS Ventura 13.5 (22G74)

Locale settings, note the DD/MM/YYYY format:

Before on a passeport entry, notice MM/DD/YYYY:

After, still MM/DD/YYYY:

Expected DD/MM/YYYY like the macOS locale settings specified:
    1/2/2017 or 1 Feb 2017

• jgwhite
    jgwhite
    Community Member
    Options

And a lot of people looking for someone to blame / calling for a public post-mortem post for what is arguably a minor issue

Just wanted to gently push back on this. For me, a post-mortem would serve two purposes:

1. Give us confidence that the issue has been solved in a manner that prevents it recurring in future
    2. Satisfy technical curiosity — 1Password do a great job sharing engineering details of their products, and I’m sure the explanation of this issue would be illuminating/educational for other UI engineers.
  • Ben
    Options

Hi @ndfred

I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble with this item while using the nightly. Can you please try creating a new item, and see if the problem also applies in that case? Also, as a troubleshooting step, what if you edit this existing item and re-enter the dates. Does the problem persist in that case?

Please let me know.

Ben

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

I cannot try trial versions. Can we have the date format updated?

• Ben
    Options

@vishalsheth

The changes are currently available in nightly builds of 1Password. If you need the fix today, you'll need to use the nightly. After the fix is tested in nightly it'll progress into beta and ultimately into a stable build, but I couldn't say with certainty when that will happen. It'll depend on how the testing goes.

Ben