Date format is incorrect in 1Password for Mac

Options

Comments

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

Why was the date issue not there in 1pw7? Why should it be in beta when you've been using date since a very long time?

• @vishalsheth

1Password 8 is a complete rewrite of the app and doesn't use code from 1Password 7. Hopefully the fix will go through testing without issues and be included in a production update soon.

When the fix is available in the production version you'll see it noted in our release notes: 1Password for Mac Releases

Thank you for your patience.

-Dave

• StuartDZA
    StuartDZA
    Community Member
    Options

So when is this going to be fixed? This is a very important issue for people who don't use the MM/DD/YYYY format (i.e. everyone on the planet who isn't in the USA) yet there are several posts showing that this has been outstanding for some YEARS now.

Can 1Password please show a little respect to their global customers and get this one sorted out.

Thanks.

• @StuartDZA

I have some good news to share! We're currently testing a fix for the issue in the nightly version of 1Password for Mac. Hopefully the fix will go through testing without issues and be included in a production update soon.

When the fix is available in the production version you'll see it noted in our release notes: 1Password for Mac Releases

Thank you for the continued patience.

-Dave

• Hello everyone,

Version 8.10.12 includes improvements for how 1Password uses the date format set by macOS. For anyone who has been affected by this issue, can you please update and let us know if you're still seeing any issues with date format:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click on **Check for Updates...*

You can find a list of all changes in 8.10.12 on our release notes page: 1Password for Mac Releases

-Dave

• hsafer
    hsafer
    Community Member
    Options

No joy.
    I am looking at a secure note that has date fields.
    One shows 28/3/2019 in edit mode and 3/28/19 in display mode.
    I am running macOS 13.5.

• jgwhite
    jgwhite
    Community Member
    Options

No joy for me either I’m afraid. Running 8.10.12 on macOS 13.5 and the passport issue/expiry fields I was concerned with are still formatted the American way (which is to say, the wrong way 😉).

• I'm sorry that the improvements in 8.10.12 haven't resolved the issue for you. I'll let our developers know so that they can look into this further.

@hsafer

Are you still using the Israel region? I see that you posted that earlier in the thread.

@jgwhite

Can you tell me what region and date format that you're using in macOS Settings?

-Dave

• hsafer
    hsafer
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, still in Israel. Here is a screenshot of my Language & Region settings.

• BusterBill
    BusterBill
    Community Member
    Options

From my limited checking, the time issue I was experiencing appears to have been addressed. That is to say, time is now in the desired HH:mm:ss format, whereas it was h:mm:ss am/pm before.

• jgwhite
    jgwhite
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P here you go:

• jgwhite
    jgwhite
    Community Member
    Options

And here’s what the 1Password UI is showing me for a couple of date fields in a passport item:

• VincentBounce
    VincentBounce
    Community Member
    Options

Bug solved by version 1Pwd 8.10.12 macOS-Windows, perfect, thank you!✅

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

@hsafer

Thank you for posting a screenshot showing your date and region settings in macOS. I've passed those along to our development team so that they can investigate further.

@jgwhite

Thanks for the screenshots as well. I can reproduce the same issue that you're running into if I have "English (US)" set as primary under Preferred Languages. But if English (UK) is primary then 1Password displays the date format correctly. I'll let our developers know about this and I'm posting it here in case it helps you in the meantime. You might need to click on another item and then back onto an affected item after changing the language to see the difference.

@BusterBill and @VincentBounce

I'm happy to hear that 8.10.12 resolved the issue for you both. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#8747

• jgwhite
    jgwhite
    Community Member
    Options

if I have "English (US)" set as primary under Preferred Languages. But if English (UK) is primary then 1Password displays the date format correctly

Interesting. Unfortunately I’m hesitant to make “English (UK)” the primary language because I mostly write US English for work and auto-correction would be confusing. Goes without saying, but ideally I’d like 1Password to adhere to the system’s setting for date formatting irrespective of the primary language.

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

@jgwhite

Understood, I posted the suggestion just in case it would be helpful to you or to someone else with similar settings. Our goal here is to completely fix the issue for everyone so that workarounds aren't necessary.

I've forwarded the information that you provided to our developers. Hopefully we'll have more news to share in a future update soon. Thank you again for your patience.

-Dave

• sshipway
    sshipway
    Community Member
    Options

+1 again. This is really important - the US is the only place using the confusing MDY format of dates and it makes things difficult for the rest of the world.

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

@sshipway

Can you please make sure that you're running version 8.10.12 or later which includes improvements for how 1Password handles the date format set by macOS. If you are seeing the issue on the latest version of 1Password then, to help our developers investigate further, can you please post a screenshot of the following screen:

1. Click on the  in the menu bar.
    2. Click System Settings.
    3. Click General.
    4. Click Language & Region.

Please post the screenshot here. Thank you!

-Dave

• sshipway
    sshipway
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I'm using Linux, but updating to the latest version is now showing me dates in sane format everywhere. I should have thought of that earlier. TVM

• @sshipway

I'm happy to hear the the latest update has resolved the issue for you. 🙂

-Dave

• posttoast
    posttoast
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Problem still hasn't been solved here. I'm on 1Password for Mac 8.10.13 (81013005), region is set to The Netherlands. In edit mode the date-format is correct:

When viewing the item, it's still in the silly mm/dd/yyyy format:

These are my region settings:

• fok
    fok
    Community Member
    Options

Still broken for me on both macOS 8.10.13 and iOS 8.10.14. Region is set to Germany on both. Primary prefered language is English (US), secondary German (Germany), but that shouldn't have any influence at all if using locale correctly.

• @posttoast and @fok

I'm sorry that the latest version didn't fix things for you both, thank you for the additional details. I've passed them along to our development team so that they can investigate further.

-Dave

• dalembertian
    dalembertian
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any timeline for this fix? I see reports of this for more than a year. It's not just annoying, it's actualy dangerous, as in some cases it's not possible to distinguish (e.g.: 12/09/xxxx). I got a whole document application rejected because I filled in the wrong dates, which I have copied from 1Password. That completely defeats the purpose of having a centralized repository.

Some fixes are really taking a lot of time to happen. Another example is holding the key "option" (on a Mac) to see the passwords. How about some basic clean up before new slick features?

• andrehjan
    andrehjan
    Community Member
    Options

I noticed the fix is mentioned in the release notes of 8.10.13, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me. It's even more confusing as in edit mode a Date field is following MacOS ( 10/09/2023 ), but as soon as I save the item it shows 09/10/23. Also the modified and created dates of items are wrong, even as the last checked date:

• @dalembertian and @andrehjan

I'm sorry that you're still seeing an incorrect date format in 1Password. If you're already running the latest version of 1Password for Mac then can you please post a screenshot of the following screen:

1. Click on the  in the menu bar.
    2. Click System Settings.
    3. Click General.
    4. Click Language & Region.

Please post the screenshot here. It will help us to fully resolve the issue.

-Dave

• SebDanielsson
    SebDanielsson
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Running 8.10.3 on macOS here and still don't get the correct date and time format. In this case there seem to be an Apple related issue since the System Settings window is showing "September 13" even after setting Sweden as region. Maybe the region setting only configures formats such as currencies, measurement system etc?

I feel like a configuration option inside 1Password would be preferred since even Apple can't do this properly...

• andrehjan
    andrehjan
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hi Dave,
    I noticed I was using a language which is not in the list of languages you can choose: English, without (US) or (UK) etc. I compared this with an other MacBook on the same 1Pwd version and where the date was correct, this MacBook was using English (UK) as primary language. I changed the language from "English" to "English (UK)" and restarted. Now the dates are correct in 1Password. Only thing is that 1Password was updated from 8.10.13 to 8.10.15 during the restart, so two parameters has changed, language and version.
    But as you can see in the screenshot, even before changing the language the date was in the preferred format in the System Settings, but not in 1Password. Apparently 1Password is looking at the language, and not the date format in System Settings.
    But I'm happy, after changing the language my issue is solved.

• dalembertian
    dalembertian
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @andrehjan , the trick worked for me as well!

Coincidence or not, I'm also in the Netherlands, and also had this "English" as primary language. I changed it to "English (UK)", and now dates show the correct format in 1Password. Not sure what's the relationship, since the date format was already mm/dd before, but anyway - I'm also happy now!

• Thanks for that confirmation @dalembertian