Date format is incorrect in 1Password for Mac

Options

Comments

• posttoast
    posttoast
    Community Member
    Options

That’s not actually a fix though, is it? I have my language set to US English for a reason. Changing it to UK English because of a bug in 1P which STILL hasn’t been fixed, seems rather silly.

• hsafer
    hsafer
    Community Member
    Options

+1 @posttoast
    I find 1P v8 less friendly to use that v7. This is an egregious example, but not the only example.

• @SebDanielsson, @andrehjan, @dalembertian, and @posttoast

Thank you for posting details about your configuration. I've added everything to the internal work item open with our development team.

You can indeed workaround the issue by changing your preferred language but, just to be clear, that isn't considered a fix by the team. The issue is still open internally and active work is being done to get things working correctly for each of the cases being reported to us in this thread.

Thank you again for your patience. 🙂

-Dave

• posttoast
    posttoast
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

If there is any way for me to help you guys resolve this issue (test build, log files, whatever) please let me know. It would be very nice if this would finally be fixed.

• @posttoast

The issue is reproducible here on our end so no other information is needed for now, however I'll definitely post here if our developers do request anything else. Thank you for the kind offer to help. 🙂

-Dave

• posttoast
    posttoast
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P , any news yet?

• @posttoast

1Password 8.10.18 was released yesterday and contains this in its release notes:

We’ve fixed an issue where dates weren’t properly formatted in some regions when US English was selected as your language.

— from 1Password Releases – Mac

Try updating and using US English in a non-US region and let us know how things go.

• posttoast
    posttoast
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Nope.

This is the non-edit-mode:

(this should show 13/7/23, or preferably even 13/7/2023)

This is the edit mode:

This one is correct.

Same issue still also on iOS, in the latest version of 1P (8.10.18).

Once more, for completeness sake, my region settings in MacOS 14.0:

What I honestly don't get (and I am genuinely interested) is why this is so hard to test. You guys have Macs right? Just set your language to US English en your region to The Netherlands. I have reproduced it on 4 different machines here in the office. It feels like you think you fixed the issue but didn't actually test it before releasing.

• fok
    fok
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, nothing has changed for me on 8.10.18 on macOS or iOS. My settings on all devices:

• alexn
    alexn
    Community Member
    Options

I confirm the same behaviour on 8.10.18 on Sonoma with my Region - Spain and language "English - Primary". And I agree that the fix is looking like not tested at all.

• SebDanielsson
    SebDanielsson
    Community Member
    Options

Same here running Sonoma. I think Apple changed the behaviour in Sonoma.

@GreyM1P did the developers test on Ventura or Sonoma?

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

Why can't I have a different date format? I'm not getting an option for DD MMM YYYY.

• posttoast
    posttoast
    Community Member
    Options

@SebDanielsson I can't imagine this works differently in Sonoma. I have a MPB2017 running Ventura at the office, I'll check if it's fixed later today on there and will report back here.

• SebDanielsson
    SebDanielsson
    Community Member
    Options

They did change it. The date in the menu bar on Sonoma is in the wrong format where it was not under Ventura. If the change had any effect on 1Password is still not certain.

• posttoast
    posttoast
    Community Member
    Options

I just checked on Ventura with the same region settings, same issue there. So it seems the developers didn't test on Ventura as well.

• VincentBounce
    VincentBounce
    Community Member
    Options

1Pwd Mac 8.10.16: date format follows the macOS settings for:
    ❌passkey date | ✅custom date fields | ✅modified/created date

1Pwd Win 8.10.16: date format follows the Windows settings for:
    ❌passkey date | ✅custom date fields | ❌modified/created date

It would be good to fix the red crosses. Maybe the developers can call the same function to get the right output according to the OS settings.

• posttoast
    posttoast
    Community Member
    Options

Weird, because for me custom dates also don't work (expiry date in my screenshot is a custom date field).

• I’m sorry for the confusion. We expect that the fix included with 8.10.18 will improve the situation for some customers but are aware that it’s not a complete fix yet. If you are not seeing an improvement yet, your region was not included in this update. Our developers are continuing to work on the issue so that we can get the date format correct for all regions. If you’re still running into the issue on the latest version of 1Password for Mac then please post in this thread, and include a screenshot of your region settings, and I’ll make sure to get this information to our development team.

For those who have already posted that the fix didn't work for them, there's no need to post your information again and we're committed to getting things fixed for you as well.

-Dave

• fok
    fok
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Why is that fix region specific? 1Password should just use the date and time format provided by the operating system locale whenever a date or time is shown, no matter what language or region is configured. You can also have different date/time formats for the same region. I'm genuinly surprised that this seems to be so complicated since this is pretty basic and has been solved for decades.

• posttoast
    posttoast
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with @fok , as a developer myself this seems inefficient at best, but it even sounds a bit sloppy. And that is not a word I like to use in relation to software which stores all my passwords and private data…

Maybe a 1P developer can share some insights on this bug and the ways you are trying to solve this? Because I’m honestly starting to feel a bit anxious about this. I am completely aware that something “cosmetic” like region settings doesn’t influence the security of an application (per se), but the way this is handled, is starting to feel more and more unprofessional.

Sorry for being a bit harsh about this, It’s not to be taken personally. But I would really like to be proven wrong about my feelings.

• Erik1P
    Erik1P
    Community Member
    Options

What a mess, considering you can run into quite some trouble if you copy the date of issue of your passport in the wrong format on an application form for visa or plane booking ...

• posttoast
    posttoast
    Community Member
    Options

Or, if like me, you think you still have a couple of months before your drivers license expires, while in reality it’s only a couple of days ;)

• sweejin
    sweejin
    Community Member
    Options

I, too, am having the same problem where my 2021 iMac 24", 2016 MacBook Pro, 2021 iPad 11", iPhone 15 Pro Max, iPhone 12 mini is in the region of Malaysia, where we use the DD/MM/YYYY format. My 1Password client on ALL of my Apple devices are showing "modified" and "created" in MM/DD/YYYY. I checked the Language & Region in General Settings, the Date Format is shown as DD/MM/YYY.

Please help me change 1Password client to DD/MM/YYYY.

Thank you.

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

I fail to understand why should it take so long for such a simple update? This was never an issue with 1p7. What’s happening here? Why is the team not able to solve a simple problem which didn’t exist in the earlier versions?

• posttoast
    posttoast
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this issue yet?

• wilruns
    wilruns
    Community Member
    Options

this issue is driving me nuts, pls fix it ASAP, can't believe it's been more than a year for what appears to be a simple problem

• alexn
    alexn
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, it's so annoying. Every single time I need a date I have to slow down and think what format it is, where is a day and where is a month. Really breaking my workflow

• kuribits
    kuribits
    Community Member
    edited January 1
    Options

Since this hasn't been mentioned yet, the fix isn't working for Preferred Language set to English (Singapore) — Primary (Sonoma 14.1.2 and 1Password for Mac 8.10.23). 1Password is still using the US date format and not the date format set in Languages and Preferences. I agree with others that this isn't just a cosmetic issue but can lead to grave errors when entering info like expiration dates of important keys and documents. Please prioritise fixing this, at least for the preferred languages that have already been mentioned.

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

How can something go so wrong which was not an issue in 1pw7?

• fok
    fok
    Community Member
    Options

The fact that this hasn't been fixed in 1.5 years makes me doubt AgileBits software quality in general. What else is being handled so sloppy? Is this software really handling my passwords securely if the devs are not even able to output date and time values formatted to system locale settings?
    Or is the focus now mainly on developing business features for large corporate customers and not caring anymore about UX basics for the actual endusers?

1pw8 has been a rough UX ride so far on all platforms I use (iOS, macOS, Windows), but I gave AgileBits the benefit of the doubt when they decided to abandon 1pw7. Unfortunately more than 2 years later I'm still waiting for anything good coming out of it. :-(