Firefox browser extension doesn't do anything

Options
plaintxt
plaintxt
Community Member
edited July 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm setting up a new MBP and can't get the browser extension to do anything. Clicking the (locked) browser icon opens a small window containing an "Open 1Password" button that doesn't do anything when clicked.

In the desktop app, I've made sure that Preferences > Browser > Connect with 1Password in the browser is checked. I've also read suggestions to enable the browser extension to run in private windows, so I've enabled that as well- even though I almost never use private browsing.

I've quit 1Password entirely, have removed and reinstalled the browser extension, and have restarted my computer. No change.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: 12.3
Browser:_ Firefox 102.0.1
Referrer: forum-search:open 1password

Comments

• @plaintxt

I notice you are using 12.3. Could I recommend updating to 12.5? It was released recently. I would think updating would prove helpful.

If it provides no joy, can you try the following?

1. Right-click on 1Password in the toolbar and select Settings.
    2. Disable app integration in the General section.
    3. Quit your browser
    4. Open 1Password > Preferences > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser and disable the option.
    5. Quit 1Password. From the menu bar, use the Quit option.
    6. Open 1Password and unlock.
    7. Open 1Password > Preferences > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser and enable the option.
    8. Open the browser.
    9. Right-click on 1Password in the toolbar and select Settings.
    10. Enable app integration in the General section.
  • plaintxt
    plaintxt
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_tommy. None of this worked. I've updated to 12.5. No change.

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2022
    Options

@plaintxt

Thanks for updating. 🎉

I borrowed some tips from one of our extension team members. 😉 Could you give them a try? There are some adjustments. If they are not fruitful I'd like to get you over to our extension team via email for additional troubleshooting. If needed please email is using support+forum@1password.com and include the following.

Username: plaintxt
    Link to this topic: https://1password.community/discussion/131675/firefox-browser-extension-doesnt-do-anything#latest

--

It sounds like 1Password in the browser and the 1Password app are having a little trouble communicating. Let's try the following steps to see if we can bring things back into function:

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar and click 'Settings'.
    2. Scroll down to "Integrate with 1Password app" at the end of General section and toggle it off.
    3. Scroll down to "Accounts & vaults".
    4. Sign out of your account and Sign in again.
    5. Fully close the browser.

After that, please give your computer a restart to ensure no pending process prevents 1Password from connecting with the browser. Once your computer turns back on, continue with the following:

1. Open and sign into the 1Password app first.
    2. Click '1Password' in the top left corner and select 'Preferences'.
    3. Under the General section ensure 'Keep 1Password in the menu bar' is checked.
    4. Under the Browser section ensure 'Connect with 1Password in the browser' is checked.
    5. Then go ahead and re-open Safari and turn on the "Integrate with 1Password app" option again.
    6. Fully close the browser to ensure the settings take effect.
    7. Then test things out again.
  • plaintxt
    plaintxt
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Thanks, I'm good to go now.

My 1Password account had never been connected in the browser. I don't know how that flow should have happened, but it hadn't. In other words, scrolling to Accounts & Vaults showed that no account had been connected. Now that it's been added, the extension is working as expected.

• Sounds like things are working nicely now @plaintxt I'm glad to hear that. 1Password in the browser should pick up on the fact the app is installed and you can usually forego the need to sign in individually provided all the switches are flipped.

We can help track down the trouble if you find it does not stick now that you signed in. Just send us an email or reply here. Either is fine. Have a great day! support+forum@1password.com

This discussion has been closed.