Face ID Not Working [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Comments

• ag_mike_d
    edited October 2022

Hi folks,

Thanks for your messages and feedback. We understand your concerns and would like to see this resolved as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please take a look at this post from my colleague, @GreyM1P. I hope this is helpful!

ref: dev/core/core#15937

• sebrk
    sebrk
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Have the same issue on a new iPhone 14 Pro. What I don't understand is that 1Password is reading a binary system message right? Either Face-ID worked or it didn't work? This bug might be better addressed at Apple tbh. I don't get how this can even can happen in user space.

Edit: reading the "official" post of resolution still sounds like an Apple bug.

• McMike
    McMike
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Same here, glad not to be alone. App can be unlocked by face id just fine, however within Safari on all family devices (iPhones and iPads all with latest OS) we constantly need to enter the passkey - makes the software almost unusable. Hopefully Passkey is going to be implemented on all websites soon so there is no need for extra passwords everywhere.

• Bootsies
    Bootsies
    Community Member

I have upgraded to 1Password 8 for IOS. Yesterday I had to re-set my iPhone settings and since then I cannot use Face ID to open 1Password. I have configured all settings correctly on my iPhone and 1Password is recognising my face and showing a green tick momentarily before returning a response to advise I must first enter a password before setting up my Face ID. I repeat this process over and over and over again. Including disabling Face ID in my phone settings and reenabling and no change. It will not let me log in without entering my password each time. Can you please advise?

• Bootsies
    Bootsies
    Community Member

I have upgraded to 1Password 8 for IOS. Yesterday I had to re-set my iPhone settings and since then I cannot use Face ID to open 1Password. I have configured all settings correctly on my iPhone and 1Password is recognising my face and showing a green tick momentarily before returning a response to advise I must first enter a password before setting up my Face ID. I repeat this process over and over and over again. Including disabling Face ID in my phone settings and reenabling and no change. It will not let me log in without entering my password each time. Can you please advise?

• @McMike

If Face ID is working to unlock the main 1Password 8 app but not 1Password for Safari then you're not affected by the issue being discussed in this thread which involves Face ID not working for 1Password 8 itself. You can find more information about Face ID and 1Password for Safari on the iPhone and iPad here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/661435/#Comment_661435

@Bootsies

I'm sorry that you're affected by the issue. Our developers are working on a fix that will hopefully be available in a future update.

-Dave

• garywan1
    garywan1
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

I’ve always saved my passwords in both 1p and iCloud Keychain both. New IPad. Now if I have iCloud Keychain allowed… 1p won’t offer to save. And picID doesn’t work with 1p either. I see this issue is months old. My faith in 1p/agile has taken a real hit. I don’t care to spend my time reading about workarounds or erasing my new iPad. It’s 2022. I did that in 1999. When will this be fixed?

• Pombo
    Pombo
    Community Member

More there one month to fix that major bug? As an iOS developer I feel very worried about what is happening in the code to cause this Face ID problem. After a device reset my Face ID stopped to working, probably 1Password create some hash and stored in keychain some information that changed after the reset. For a second I get the message “ That didn't work. Check your password and try again.”

Please guys, fix that problem soon as possible. Is very annoying :(

• notMyUserName
    notMyUserName
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

To those posting that installing version 7 fixes the problem - it doesn't. I'm still on version 7 and have been having this problem (and I'm having it right now) since I got an iPhone in July. Un/reinstalling version 7 does temporarily fix the problem but it always comes back sooner or later. For me, at least, this is not a version 7 vs. version 8 issue since I've never used version 8.

This is a massive and recurring headache for me since I use a strong master password and don't know it and don't carry it with me. I rely on Face ID on iOS to access my passwords (I used the fingerprint reader on Android which always worked fine). So if I'm away from home and need to get a password (like last week when I was traveling), I'm just screwed (like last week when I was traveling). This really, really, really needs to get fixed sooner rather than later. If it doesn't get fixed soon I can't I can't keep using 1Password and have, for now, stopped recommending it to others.

• Poelpetater
    Poelpetater
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Same issue, trying to fix an unrelated problem I did a reset of all settings on my iPhone - after that 1Password fails to recognize my face every time and I have to manually enter my password. I subsequently did a reset of FaceID on my phone (every other app works fine), I disabled/enabled FaceID on 1Password, restarted my phone a few times, deleted 1Password and reinstalled again a few times as well, but every time I open the app it scans my face and it seems to fail and then shows the message "you need to enter your account password before you can use Face ID".

Before "resetting all settings" FaceID was working fine with 1Password 8.

Submitted diagnostics, but received no reference number reply from Bitbot...

• lyndadiane
    lyndadiane
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

Even when 1Password shows checkmark for my Face ID, it still asks that I use password

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Face ID not opening 1Password

• Ianlopshire
    Ianlopshire
    Community Member

A new version of the app was released today. Still no fix...

• zacharye
    zacharye
    Community Member

FYI to anyone following this thread, there’s another new update today but it still doesn’t fix this bug.

Anyone from 1P have any updates?

• dgold105
    dgold105
    Community Member

Yes new update today and it doesn't fix it. Frustrating.

• seanzxx
    seanzxx
    Community Member

It's so disappointing.
    The new version of 1password 8 doesn't fix this annoying issue.
    Would someone provide the ETA?

• Hey @lyndadiane,

Thanks for messaging us! To confirm, are you using Safari and 1Password on your iOS device? If so, we had an issue that has been recently resolved and will be updated when your 1Password for iOS app updates next.

Which version of the 1Password for iOS app are you using?

Josh

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

On the other thread most are posting that this did fix their issues. Some had to delete the app from a device and re-install it to get it completely resolved. Some only had to do this with one device and not the other but again most are reporting it’s fixed.

• lyndadiane
    lyndadiane
    Community Member

Using iOS 8.9.6
    and Safari. I can use Chrome if it works better.

• lyndadiane
    lyndadiane
    Community Member

Using iOS 8.9.6
    and Safari. I can use Chrome if it works better.

• idawood
    idawood
    Community Member

I tried deleting and reinstall after this update. Still FaceID not working on v8. It’s extremely disappointing that a company which is charging subscription the subscribers but not fixing a major problem. They should provide a refund of the time the product is not usable.

• ings
    ings
    Community Member

FWIW for me the fix worked on iOS, but on iPadOS I had to uninstall 1Password, reboot, and reinstall in order to get it to work.

• planb21
    planb21
    Community Member

This update did not fix it for me. Even reinstalled the app & soft reset. This is pretty much unusable for me like this… unacceptable

• LordGiotto
    LordGiotto
    Community Member

I’m facing the same issue with 1Password 8 since months ago: I had to reset the settings on my iPhone and FaceID didn’t work from that moment on!

I tried to uninstall the app, disable and re-enable FaceID, and everything else.
    Now I’m using 1Password 7 in order to being able to use it.

Please 1Password team, fix it! It’s really frustrating not being able to use the last version of your software because of this bug! I’m happy to pay for your service (which is awesome), but I don’t want to be forced into using version 7.

• lyndadiane
    lyndadiane
    Community Member

Password 8

• @lyndadiane

Thank you for the response. There's a known Face ID issue in 1Password 8 for iOS that our developers are investigating and it sounds like you're affected. So that I can confirm this, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• FriedYoda
    FriedYoda
    Community Member

Todays update, 8.9.7, did not resolve this issue.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

I have same issue. Updating to 1P 8.9.7 did not correct my face ID issue

• Lexden16
    Lexden16
    Community Member

Likewise. This problem is causing me to lose confidence in 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.