Face ID Not Working [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Options

Comments

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member
    Options

I think if you start fresh (no icloud backup restore) faceid won't work properly on v8

• ntaubman
    ntaubman
    Community Member
    Options

I was excited to see the update in todays app store, and doubly excited with the length of the patch notes.....until I wasn't.
    It's wild that an issue of this magnitude and one that is hindering such foundational chunk of the app is still unfixed. This was first reported in AUGUST and the only 'fix' is for the user to factory reset their phone.

I am seriously intrigued to understand how something like this happens. How does a company of this size which is "trusted by 100,000s of businesses" and god knows how many other users, be completely handcuffed by an issue like this?

I haven't seen any other apps/companies running into the same wall, that all use faceid. What's the deal?

1Password Version: 8.9.6
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• Nileane
    Nileane
    Community Member
    Options

Is this issue anywhere near a fix?
    It’s still happening despite the recent updates…

• LokiNYC
    LokiNYC
    Community Member
    Options

I had this issue (I'm also running iOS 16.1 beta, but that may not be connected). I had done Reset All Settings and it knocked out FaceID just for 1Password.

From a solution in another thread, I went through Erase All Settings and iCloud restore, and tested it by opening 1Password (which initially requires its password), then locking 1P, then testing if I could unlock with FaceID - which worked.

• @AMonitorDarkly

Thanks for following up. I've taken a look and, at the moment, the two issues don't appear to be related.

-Dave

• anoopbaiju
    anoopbaiju
    Community Member
    Options

better to switch to lastpass now. its been a month of waiting to get a solution

• msw70
    msw70
    Community Member
    Options

I’m also on the verge of downgrading back to 1P7. Latest iPhone OS and current 1P8. In my case, the app unlocks with Face ID, but not Safari.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

You can use both 7 and 8, just choose which is to be used for autofill. I’m still using 7 on all devices as I’ve not seen anything offered in 8 that I don’t have currently. No need to switch to another app.

• msw70
    msw70
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the tip @pappjo. I’ll reinstall 7 alongside 8.

For our friends at 1PW, here is a video showing the problem in Safari:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vS4eTU8e4MtWPBf36

• msw70
    msw70
    Community Member
    Options

I can’t seem to find the 1P7 download. Is that no longer available?

• Bakj
    Bakj
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

I also must add that simply saying we should check your blog to see when/if it has been fixed is a good example of bad customer relations/comms. Do better 1password.

• garywan1
    garywan1
    Community Member
    Options

Bought a new iPad Pro. After transferring all from previous iPad… I had problems so I “reset all settings”. After factory reset… 1P8 stopped recognizing Face ID.

Sorry to see this has been an unresolved issue for months. Any hope of a resolution? Perhaps Agile Bits should stop charging subscription fees till its fixed as a show of good faith?

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

I understand the issues some are having with FaceID/Touch ID with 1PW 8 but since the simplest strategy is to continue to use 7 or re-download it and all the issues go away, at least I’m not having any. So 1PW is still very much alive for me and my wife.

• reelfish
    reelfish
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

What is going on with this? latest update? Progress on bug remediation? Very frustrating that this is not working and you have removed passcode authentication.

Thankfully I can reinstall 1password 7 for iOS from my purchase history. Seems to be working fine with FaceID. Will be using this for now until you can fix this gigantic bug.

THANKS 1PASSWORD!!!!!!!!!!!

• msw70
    msw70
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @hegguardo!!

• hbpotato
    hbpotato
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks! @hegguardo

• ehed
    ehed
    Community Member
    Options

I’ve reverted to 1P 7 and so far it seems to work just fine. It’s also just a more familiar experience overall compared to 1P8. If you’re having this issue I recommend downgrading until the developers get around to fixing this edge case issue. I don’t get the sense it’s a top priority fix for them since they make most of their money from enterprise customers who are in a much better position to simply swap their device than a normal user.

• domrgn
    domrgn
    Community Member
    Options

I’m ready to cancel subscription to 1Password over this bug I encounter multiple times every hour.

• iOS Settings > 1Password > Face ID on
    • 1Password Settings > Security > Face ID enabled
    • 1Passwrod Settings > Security > Require password > doesn't matter what I select here… "Never" to "Every 2 weeks"

Every time I launch 1Password, OS level FaceID modal triggers, shows check confirmation of ID, but 1Password shakes and requires manual password entry.

• part121
    part121
    Community Member
    Options

My subscription is coming up for renewal later this week, and while I'd like to send that "unsubscription message" too, it still works on too many other platforms that I use. It would be the ol' "cutting off my nose to spite my face" scenario. I do feel your pain though @domrgn .

• patrickmignon
    patrickmignon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Same problem. FaceID it’s not working in 1Password8 (version 8.9.6) while it works in 1Password7 and has always worked in this version of the app.
    Of course, FaceID works fine elsewhere in my phone, either to unlock it or to unlock other apps that use FaceID.
    Thanks for your help / answer / solution.
    Pm

• svampire87
    svampire87
    Community Member
    Options

It has been two months since this bug was reported, but it is still open. The dev team should come out and share an update at least.

• martinewski
    martinewski
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

I’m having the same issue after resetting the iPhone settings. Sending the diagnostics by email now.

[#MLB-34334-673]

• pascalhos
    pascalhos
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue. I've emailed the diagnostic report, but have not received the Support ID number yet.

• vpaulino
    vpaulino
    Community Member
    Options

Legit thought I unfollowed this but keep getting notifications. Everyone, the solution is to delete version 8 and look at your purchased history and install version 7. Obviously reboot. God speed.

• dgold105
    dgold105
    Community Member
    Options

I agree. I don't think the issue is that the bug exists but rather the disdain with which 1Password has treated the customers who are experiencing it which make the app entirely unusable. Rather than keeping us all in the dark with barely any updates all they need to do is keep up in the loop with what is going on.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

I’m following a current discussion of 1PW on an Apple beta forum and none have reported such an issue with 1PW 8. So far I’ve only seen comments from the same people here who reset all settings which very few would ever need to do. In all my iOS devices for the last 15 years I’ve never done this and neither has anyone I know. So the issue is confined to a small set of users which makes it a difficult issue for any developer to pin down. And the simple solution if you did this reset for some reason is to use 1PW 7. You don’t miss out on anything. I’m not promoting 8 since I’m still using 7 and have no compelling reason to switch at this time. But the solution for those that created the problem for themselves is to use 7.

• daneel
    daneel
    Community Member
    Options

Is 1Password8 for iOS written using Electron?

This discussion has been closed.