Face ID Not Working [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Options

Comments

• Bootsies
    Bootsies
    Community Member
    Options

The latest update from 1Password did not fix my issue with accessing using facial recognition. It continues to ask me to input my password even though it appears my face was recognised correctly. Very frustrating issue!!!

• snakemamas
    snakemamas
    Community Member
    Options

Hi after a problem with my iPhone led me to have to reset both my iPhone 11 and my iPad 9 gen, both were updated to newest iOS after reset. Then biometrics reset. Neither of them are recognizing the biometrics. I’ve since uninstalled the app, reset both devices again, and reinstalled app both are running v 8 of 1Password. And tried again. I’ve checked all the settings on both devices and biometrics are turned on and set up in every place I know about. I’ve tried glasses on/off on the phone with Face ID, and different fingers on the iPad. I’ve cleaned them, tried different lighting. I’ve no clue what went wrong. Please help? TIA

Phone: iPhone 11 on iOS 16.1 (20B82)
    IPad: 9th Gen on iOS 16.1 (20B82)
    Both running newest version of 1Password in AppStore as of Nov 2

• wi987
    wi987
    Community Member
    Options

Is this issue ever going to be fixed? Seems like it should be a VERY HIGH PRIORITY. It has been going on for 3 months now.

• FezVrasta
    FezVrasta
    Community Member
    Options

Could you at least provide an in-app button to clear the 1Password data from the Secure Enclave so that the Face ID setup can start over cleanly? There's a specific API to delete items from the Secure Enclave.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/1395547-secitemdelete

• Geriko
    Geriko
    Community Member
    Options

As I read the update I thought 'finally! Better late than never! "then the bitter disappointment 😬everything as before Face ID does not unlock the app. Nothing, maybe a fix in the autofill but I didn't have time to check better, so for now 1 - I don't know what they fixed as stated in the App Store page of 1password8 by c b the developers (maybe the problem is only mine) 2 - I continue with L using version 7 which differs little ....un dear greetings to all

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

Because of all this hoopla I decided to install 1PW8 on my phone this morning. I’ve been using 7 on both my phone and iPad with no issues. I’m leaving 7 on my iPad to be able to compare the two. 8 has no Face ID issue either in the main app or the Safari extension. Face ID unlocks both properly. Of course I’ve never and most likely would never do a reset all settings so I don’t expect to run into this issue.

My initial reaction is that I think I prefer the look of 7 but I’ll take some time to decide. In the meantime 7 will remain on my iPad. And other than the emails coming in about new log ins, which are quite annoying, there haven’t been any issues so far. I do hope those stop eventually.

• rujamajoco
    rujamajoco
    Community Member
    Options

I thought it was just me with this issue. Within Safari extension on IOS it never offers FaceID , only password. But outside of Safari it always offers faceid.

I agree the developer should have fixed these issues by now. I am looking for an alternative now after 6 years with 1password. It is becoming unwieldy and V8 is not an improvement in most of its aspects. Performance is quicker, but functionality getting confusing.

• Bootsies
    Bootsies
    Community Member
    Options

I have upgraded to 1Password 8 for IOS. Recently had to re-set my iPhone settings and since then I cannot use Face ID to open 1Password. I have configured all settings correctly on my iPhone and 1Password is recognising my face and showing a green tick momentarily before returning a response to advise I must first enter a password before setting up my Face ID. I repeat this process over and over and over again. Including disabling Face ID in my phone settings and reenabling and no change. It will not let me log in without entering my password each time. Recent update from 1 Password has not fixed this issue with me accessing my 1Password app on my iPhone. Can you please advise?

• Jcornetto
    Jcornetto
    Community Member
    Options

Using 8.9.7. Had to reset my face id on my phone and now face id works everywhere but 1password

• Jcornetto
    Jcornetto
    Community Member
    Options

It always says I need to use my password before I can use face id. Using iOS 16.1

• Bootsies
    Bootsies
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue and even after deleting my app and reinstalling it still doesn’t work. Latest app update did nothing to fix this issue. Will not complete the process to open the app without entering the password. Every other app on my phone works without any issues using face log in.

• Kh0rn
    Kh0rn
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

Having the similar issue now.
    Autofill fails FaceID check on iPhone 14 Pro Max iOS16.1.
    Strang thing is that it is instantly failing.
    Normally if you turn the phone away, the system would wait for a face to come "in rang" to check.
    Now it's just instability failing/vibrating if I click on a login. Doesn't matter if a face is there or not.

EDIT: This started the last few days out of the blue, maybe after the iOS 16.1 update. I did NOT do any kind of reset settings etc.
    Only thing that was changed is the Master password roughly a month ago. But autofill was working fine afterwards.

iPhone 12 Pro Max running iOS 16.1 does not have the problem

• Kh0rn
    Kh0rn
    Community Member
    Options

On the iPhone 12 Pro Max, it is reproducible failing one time like on the 14PM after turning Autofill off and on again in settings.
    After the one time fail it's working fine again.
    Not so on the 14PM.

It's feels like a tow different APIs from FaceID used, because the failed attempt counter is not getting reset.
    After the instant fail when clicking on the login, manually clicking on FaceID button in the "Autofill login popup" works.
    But after roughly the five+- website the Mastepassword is needed although there were successful authentications in between.

• npr
    npr
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

I had to reset my iPhone 14 Pro, and now 1Password 8 will not take my FaceID. The FaceID popup does come up from the dynamic island, followed by a green check-mark in the popup when it gets accepted, then I'm prompted by 1Password to enter my password manually. Every. Single. Time. All my passwords for other apps etc. are very long and complex and stored in 1Password, so this is a showstopper in getting my phone back up and running. I've tried restarting my phone, disabling/enabling FaceID in the app, and deleting and reinstalling the app. Any suggestions before I change my 1Password master password to "123"?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• aphonic
    aphonic
    Community Member
    Options

Dave is Face ID working again? It still doesn’t work on my iPhone 13 Pro. I just get the no shake every time, everything else works with Face ID, which indicates it’s properly configured to me.

• jackbrannen
    jackbrannen
    Community Member
    Options

When I open 1PW on my iPhone, it triggers the FaceID authentication. The FaceID works successfully, shows a checkmark, and then goes away. But then 1PW doesn't unlock. Instead it says, "That didn't work. Check your password or try again." Then I have to type in my master password to get in.

1Password Version: 8.9.7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS 16.1
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• mkor89
    mkor89
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue as everyone — had to reset my phone settings a couple weeks ago and since then faceid on 1password (only) doesn't work.

Is there any movement on this issue? I am currently trying out other options, it's kinda dealbreaker to me that this seems to have lasted months.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

It seems everyone having this issue reset their settings for some reason. I haven’t read one post on any forum, and I’ve asked on several of them, about this issue from anyone who didn’t reset their settings. This is the only forum where I’ve even seen this mentioned. I was hesitant to install 8 because of the posts here but I have now installed 8, and deleted 7, on my phone with no issues. Face ID works perfectly every time. That suggests to me that there is an iOS issue for those who did this settings reset. Which also suggests that the solution will have to come from an Apple update with Agilebits and other developers working with them.

• johnconners
    johnconners
    Community Member
    Options

@pappjo: FYI - I've never reset my phone and had the problem as soon as I installed iPassword 8. However I directly reported it to support via email rather than using the forum so don't assume it only applies to those who reset their phones, I'm one!

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

I’m not assuming it only happens to those who reset settings but that’s the vast majority of cases reported here. I’ve asked on several of Apple’s own forums and never got any replies except one person who stated he had never seen the issue. I do believe there is something specifically causing the issue. But even on the App Store reviews the only ones mentioning the issue also mentioned that settings were reset. I think it’s safe to say that it’s not a widespread problem. I had hesitated using 8, still have 7 on my iPad, until I got some feedback in those other forums. Until your post I haven’t seen any here that didn’t mention the reset. So I went ahead and installed it on my phone with no such issues with Face ID.

• Hi @jackbrannen, we're really sorry for the trouble here. This is an issue that the team is working hard to resolve and we hope to have a fix for it soon. Your best bet is to keep 1Password up to date so that you have the fix as soon as it's available: https://support.1password.com/update-1password/

It will also be in our release notes: https://releases.1password.com/ios/

Some users have opted to redownload 1Password 7 to regain Face ID functionality. If you had previously downloaded version 7, you can find it in your app purchase history.

Thanks for your patience while we work on a solution. I've added you to our list of affected users and someone will reach out when it's resolved!

• jackbrannen
    jackbrannen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update. Respectfully, my "subjective experience" with 1Password is that there always seem to be little things breaking, suggesting an ongoing QA problem. It's not fun.

• rigourmicrohydrin
    rigourmicrohydrin
    Community Member
    Options

@mallory.j_1P – please add me to the list of affected users.

• hoellein
    hoellein
    Community Member
    Options

Have been experiencing this for about 4 months now. Pretty much stopped using the app on iOS.

• FezVrasta
    FezVrasta
    Community Member
    Options

@mallory.j_1P is there any chance you could implement a workaround like the one I described here?
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/663244/#Comment_663244

• spinksj
    spinksj
    Community Member
    Options

+1 experiencing this problem as well.

This discussion has been closed.