Face ID Not Working [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Options

Comments

• CaptainJD
    CaptainJD
    Community Member
    Options

@afboodai you can restore v7 from App Store, then clicking the ‘person logo’ (top right), and going to your ‘Purchases’ section where you can re-download.

• Hi folks,

Thanks for following up. This is a high-priority issue we're actively working on resolving. In the meantime, we do have a solution that's worked for other people running into this, but as it requires factory resetting your device and restoring from an iCloud backup, it's definitely something that should be done at your own risk. We're hoping to know more soon on this, so waiting for the fix would be recommended, but if you'd like this sorted out right away here are the steps to follow.

It's important to note that there is the potential for data loss here. As with anything that involves resetting and restoring your device, ensure that you have a full backup of your device before proceeding. I realize this isn't an ideal solution, but it's currently the best option for resolving this issue.

1. In the Settings app, tap your name at the top > iCloud > iCloud Backup. Then turn on "Back Up This iPhone / iPad" if necessary and tap "Back Up Now". Allow the backup to proceed.
    2. Use the < back arrow at the top-left corner repeatedly to return to the main Settings list.
    3. Tap General > Transfer or Reset iPhone / iPad > Erase All Contents And Settings.
    4. Follow the onscreen instructions to make a final backup, sign out of your Apple ID, and erase the device.
    5. When the device restarts, choose your language, country/region, and Wi-Fi network, then choose "Restore From iCloud Backup".
    6. Sign in with your Apple ID and choose your most recent iCloud backup.

After performing these steps, the other important thing to do is to avoid using any options from the Transfer or Reset iPhone menu in Settings > General. We've found that using Reset All Settings may be linked to this issue.

Jack

• Hi folks,

Thanks for following up. This is a high-priority issue we're actively working on resolving. In the meantime, we do have a solution that's worked for other people running into this, but as it requires factory resetting your device and restoring from an iCloud backup, it's definitely something that should be done at your own risk. We're hoping to know more soon on this, so waiting for the fix would be recommended, but if you'd like this sorted out right away here are the steps to follow.

It's important to note that there is the potential for data loss here. As with anything that involves resetting and restoring your device, ensure that you have a full backup of your device before proceeding. I realize this isn't an ideal solution, but it's currently the best option for resolving this issue.

1. In the Settings app, tap your name at the top > iCloud > iCloud Backup. Then turn on "Back Up This iPhone / iPad" if necessary and tap "Back Up Now". Allow the backup to proceed.
    2. Use the < back arrow at the top-left corner repeatedly to return to the main Settings list.
    3. Tap General > Transfer or Reset iPhone / iPad > Erase All Contents And Settings.
    4. Follow the onscreen instructions to make a final backup, sign out of your Apple ID, and erase the device.
    5. When the device restarts, choose your language, country/region, and Wi-Fi network, then choose "Restore From iCloud Backup".
    6. Sign in with your Apple ID and choose your most recent iCloud backup.

After performing these steps, the other important thing to do is to avoid using any options from the Transfer or Reset iPhone menu in Settings > General. We've found that using Reset All Settings may be linked to this issue.

Jack

• stefanodottori
    stefanodottori
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Jack.P_1P

First things first, I couldn’t agree more that the mitigation you provided is not the ideal solution.

Factory reset, a device independently if is a iPhone or iPad, just because of a single app is unacceptable.

The amount of time it takes to restore a iCloud backup can be significant if the user have a lot of apps installed like myself.

I recently downgraded to 1Password 7, and the Face ID is working as is should be.

Seems to me that the problem is not your devices, but in this new version of 1Password or maybe is a undisclosed bug in iOS or iPadOS, because of the variety of devices affected.

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P
    "After performing these steps, the other important thing to do is to avoid using any options from the Transfer or Reset iPhone menu in Settings > General. We've found that using Reset All Settings may be linked to this issue."

as above.. this is also not acceptable. I should be able to reset my device settings anytime I want, without having to worry that an app will then stop working.

For MONTHS 1password has failed to properly acknowledge and explain why the current "stable" app doesn't work with FaceID. You should be considering crediting all your users for the months you have been deficient in acknowledging, explaining and resolving a very BASIC feature you advertise that is not working for MANY users.

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Took nearly a month since the first post for 1Password staff to reply.. I'm a little shocked at what is going on at 1password. I've tried support via email as well, they. didn't even know about this issue.. yet here on the community.. it's everywhere. It's acknowledged by 1password staff on reddit.. but only a few weeks ago.. and nothing since then.

No blog post. No support article. No note in the app store. Do you see why we are frustrated @Jack.P_1P ?

• part121
    part121
    Community Member
    Options

I'm now in the same boat as everyone else. My phone got stuck in "Do Not Disturb" mode so I had to reset all settings on my iPhone 14 Pro Max running iOS 16.0.2 and 1Password 8.9.5. After the reset all apps except 1Password 8 were working. I played around endlessly with Turing off & on Face ID for 1Password, I deleted and reinstalled 1Password and reset Face ID twice. None of this helps. Oddly, I see the little green circle in the "Dynamic Island" which confirms that Face ID worked, however 1Password insists on having the master password every time. Sounds like I have the reset-the-phone-and-broke-it syndrome that everyone else is reporting..

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

I sympathize with what’s being posted here as I had decided to stay with 1P 7 long ago and am not having issues. But I keep seeing posts about resetting the phone as triggering the issue. I am really curious why so many people have reset their phones. I’ve only done a reset network settings on my phone years ago because of some issue with my cell connection at the time, I don’t really remember what it was since it’s been so long. Other than that and having had almost every iphone produced, including my current 14PM, there’s never been a need to do this. Whats going on to cause all these resets?

• Omzig
    Omzig
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue and I had done a settings reset to resolve other issues.

I had both 7 and 8 installed so I could maintain the Watch app as that seems to have been cast aside.

Both 7 and 8 would not respond to FaceId tried all the simple steps above but nothing worked

I will not restore the device from backup that is just a ridiculous solution to this issue.

The fact that this is taking so long to resolve is just extremely disappointing and another straw on the camels back

I ended up deleting both versions, hard restarting the iPhone and installing version 7 and all is well.

So I then reinstalled version 8 and it still has the problem but version 7 still works.

I will leave 8 installed just to see if it ever gets fixed as if I dump it I’ll never know.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

@AMonitorDarkly To give a phone to someone else you’d do an erase all content and settings essentially creating a new phone for the other person to set up and use. Which is what I do when selling or trading my phones, after pulling the sim out so a new owner can transfer their sim from their old device into it to continue their cell service. Which if you think about it is exactly what the 1P folks are saying to do to resolve the issue on your own device followed by restoring from a back up.

So if you did that, which is not a reset, that’s a total wipe, then that would mean that the suggestion from Agilebits to do this does not work. That’s a serious problem, but I don’t know how it’s possible since the phone would be completely cleared of all data.

But I don’t believe others are doing this when they mention “reset”, that’s what has me wondering what’s going on that has them resetting. Even resetting network settings has never caused such an issue when I was advised once by Apple Support to deal with an issue. All that does is delete your WiFi network log ins and makes the phone re-acquire your cell connection if there’s an issue with it. And that never affected the 1Password app. But I don’t use 8, I’m staying with 7.

• Omzig
    Omzig
    Community Member
    Options

Can’t leave version 8 installed as it pops up when trying to logon to apps etc so in order to continue using Face ID with version 7 , version 8 gets deleted and now I won’t know if it ever gets fixed unless I constantly look for updates in the App Store

• neungkl
    neungkl
    Community Member
    Options

I also got the same issue. Here are my experiences so far:

• I can use FaceID normally until I tried "Reset All Settings" on iPhone
    • After "Reset All Settings", all other apps still work perfectly fine with FaceID (especially bank apps) except 1Password
    • I tried everything, uninstall/reinstall, reset FaceID, restart the phone, but never try to factory reset because why should I reset my whole phone for only one broken app?
  • daneel
    daneel
    Community Member
    Options

Despite the security setting in the iOS app to enable use of TouchID or FaceID to unlock 1Password on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, the app always asks for my password. I haven't updated my iPad to 1Passsord 8 and everything seems to work just fine, so either there's an issue with 1Password 8 or with iOS 16 or both.

Can anyone please advise on how I resolve this issue? Is it a known issue?

1Password Version: 8.9.5
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS 16
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member
    Options

A 1Password staff member provided the most information I have seen on this issue here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/659092/#Comment_659092

• anoopva
    anoopva
    Community Member
    Options

This issue still not fixed till now, even factory restore didn't help. Anyway I got below reply from support team.

Hi Anoop 👋

Thank you for contacting us here at 1Password Support. My name is Jac, and I'd be glad to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues unlocking 1Password on your iPhone with Face ID. After looking at the diagnostics report from your device, you are experiencing a known issue currently in 1Password for iOS where the app fails to unlock after successfully prompting for Face ID. Our development team is investigating this bug further and are working on a fix for this bug, so that you'll be once again be able to unlock 1Password with Face ID.

We always recommend keeping 1Password up to date to receive the latest features and bug fixes:

How to keep 1Password up to date
    1Password Releases
    Whilst our developers work on a fix for this issue, we are able to offer the following workarounds in the meantime:

Continue using 1Password 8 and unlock with your account password each time.

Re-download 1Password 7 which will allow you to unlock the app with Face ID until a fix is available in 1Password 8.

Follow a step-by-step tutorial on resetting your iOS device and restoring from an iCloud backup. We’ve seen this method restore Face ID unlock functionality in 1Password 8, but it can lead to potential data loss. We’d only like to offer these steps if you’re comfortable with the process and understand the risks.

Let me know which workaround you’d like to move forward with that we can help.

Jac Peregrine-Davies
    Customer Support @ 1Password
    https://support.1password.com/

• anoopva
    anoopva
    Community Member
    Options

_# There is no fix for Face ID issue with 1password8. Even factory restore didn't help. Each time I have to enter my master password which is very inconvenient. I got reply from support team to use 1password7 until a fix comes for 1password8. _

VKK-42961-813

Hi Anoop 👋

Thank you for contacting us here at 1Password Support. My name is Jac, and I'd be glad to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues unlocking 1Password on your iPhone with Face ID. After looking at the diagnostics report from your device, you are experiencing a known issue currently in 1Password for iOS where the app fails to unlock after successfully prompting for Face ID. Our development team is investigating this bug further and are working on a fix for this bug, so that you'll be once again be able to unlock 1Password with Face ID.

We always recommend keeping 1Password up to date to receive the latest features and bug fixes:

How to keep 1Password up to date
    1Password Releases
    Whilst our developers work on a fix for this issue, we are able to offer the following workarounds in the meantime:

Continue using 1Password 8 and unlock with your account password each time.

Re-download 1Password 7 which will allow you to unlock the app with Face ID until a fix is available in 1Password 8.

Follow a step-by-step tutorial on resetting your iOS device and restoring from an iCloud backup. We’ve seen this method restore Face ID unlock functionality in 1Password 8, but it can lead to potential data loss. We’d only like to offer these steps if you’re comfortable with the process and understand the risks.

Let me know which workaround you’d like to move forward with that we can help.

Jac Peregrine-Davies
    Customer Support @ 1Password
    https://support.1password.com/

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member
    Options

Latest iOS beta doesn't even address this issue..

• Martijnn
    Martijnn
    Community Member
    Options

I've also noticed that since I've been using 1Password 8 on my iPad Air 2022 (5th gen) and my iPhone 13 Pro, both Face ID and Touch ID don't work well with 1Password. With every other app on my devices, Touch ID and Face ID work as they should.

• ehed
    ehed
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

Face ID fails for me too. To be more clear, the Face ID process works (I get the "check mark" animation) but the 1Password screen behind it does the incorrect-password-shake animation. I tried disabling then re-enabling FaceID, and also removed the app completely and re-downloaded it. No dice. Please advise! Here's a screen recording showing it.

Re: the message it shows ("You need to enter your account password before you can use Face ID") I have done this many times (essentially every single time I need to get a password out)

Edit to add: Also this did seem to start after I had to do a "Reset All Settings" at Apple Support's request to fix an unrelated issue.

https://imgur.com/a/JxlShRC

• Ianlopshire
    Ianlopshire
    Community Member
    Options

I am also experiencing this issue after doing “Erase All Content and Settings”.

I had other apps pop up and say something to the effect of: “Looks like something about Face ID has changed. Do you want to re-enable it?” Makes me think it’s a bug in 1 password and not iOS 🤷‍♂️

Crazy that it’s not resolved after this long

• xyzulu
    xyzulu
    Community Member
    Options
  • MarkAise
    MarkAise
    Community Member
    Options

Ticket number: [#IHA-35172-961]

Hello,

regarding this issue, after upgrading to iPhone 14 Pro Max. i no longer have this problem!
    When the ticket was issued, i was on iPhone 12 Pro. I have backed up the same phone and restored it via iCloud, everything now is working like before!! Face ID works every time with no problem. Just wanted to share.

• apl
    apl
    Community Member
    Options

There are quite a few messages in this forum about Face ID not working. It appears that this is after the user has had to reset the phone settings. This includes Touch ID users as well.

I have recorded what happens when you try and open 1Password using Face ID

https://share.icloud.com/photos/06bb6URTpocK982d93DETBwcQ

Face ID is being used on 15 other apps successfully and of course with logging into the phone. You can see in the video that Face ID verifies correctly with the green tick but then says that didn’t work and to check my password.

Any chance this could be fixed, Face ID should let me into my account but it never works.

• wi987
    wi987
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem as everyone else... FACE ID stopped working..... Per Apple Support they had me do a RESET ALL SETTINGS and after that FACE ID stopped working. Face ID use to work... Works on other apps but no longer on 1PASSWORD8

• kyiagga
    kyiagga
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem after phone reset (unrelated to 1Password) - iPhone X, iOS 16.0.2
    Very annoying - all other apps are still working with FaceID.

This discussion has been closed.