Ventura's Passkey system & 1PW Questions

Options
Gordon101
Gordon101
Community Member

My wife and I use Safari and 1PW. We have the Family version and both only use a single shared vault. This makes it easy to share, use each other's machines and trouble shoot.

What we both want to maintain is the ability to go to either computer and use 1PW to login to sites with Safari. We are not opposed to using the Passkey system - just don't won't be shut out of the other's browser because we fail Touch/Face ID.

Can you give us you view on how 1PW and MacOS 13.x will work together?

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hi there @Gordon101

We do plan to support passkeys and there's a blog post here that may help to show how we see that working:

But (and this is probably the more important part right now), passkeys haven't been widely adopted, and passwords are still the main way that users sign in to websites and apps. As much as new operating systems like macOS Ventura and iOS 16 support passkeys, they're not mandatory, and your existing 1Password setup will keep working as it does now – 1Password 8 has been tested with macOS Ventura and it works great!

Keep an eye on our Blog to see what's new. If you have any questions or need any more help, please let me know :)

– Grey

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member
    Options

Grey your reply is super helpful. Just one question you may know the answer to -- does a macOS Ventura have to "opt in" for the passkey process? i.e. how easily could a person start using it accidentally?

Right now often when passwords are changed Safari presents a Save option-- I don't know if it is passkey or passwords -- I just know the options are "Never, Save and Not Now".

• @Gordon101

Although not many websites use passkeys right now, Safari will indeed present a prompt asking "Do you want to save a passkey for [Website]?" that you can cancel if you wish.

Right now often when passwords are changed Safari presents a Save option

If you'd like to turn this off so that only 1Password prompts you to save your passwords then you can do so by following this guide: Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.