Authentication failure after Time Machine restore

Options
bdruth
bdruth
Community Member
edited October 2022 in Mac

I think I'm having the same or similar problem as was reported in the 1Password 8 beta forum. One difference is that I can authenticate into one of the two vaults (my personal one) - the authentication failure only happens on my Work vault.

I've contacted support+mac@1password.com as was indicated in that topic, but it's been 5 calendar days and I haven't heard back. I've tried basically everything I can think of, including booting into Recovery Mode and mounting the Macintosh HD - Data drive from Disk Utility so I can go in via Terminal and delete 1Password.app as well as all remnants of config/preferences from ~/Library. Nothing makes any difference. All my other devices (iMac & iPhone) seem perfectly fine, I even went through Recovery with my work admin and that didn't help the situation, either. I did end up having to re-auth on the iPhone and that ended fine as well.

I can sign-in fine via the browser using the same info as I'm trying to use in the app.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.6.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• bdruth
    bdruth
    Community Member
    Options

Removing 1Password 8 (with great difficulty) and re-installing 1Password 7 (from the App Store) seems to have done the trick - I'm able to authenticate both vaults now.

• Sorry @bdruth that we haven't gotten to you just yet. I'll try to flag a colleague for you or myself. 😉 Thanks for the follow-up. It will help with the submission you sent over.

• @bdruth

Apologies I do not see a submission from you. Do you have a support id number? Can you share it with me?

• @bdruth

Sorry talking to myself here. lol.

I think I found it under a different email. I'm replying there now.

• These are the steps I provided the user which resulted in a successful resolution. The steps I sent @bdruth have been added here at their request in the hopes of helping other members of the community who may find themselves in a similar situation.

----

1Password 8 looks much deeper for existing data than 1Password 7. I believe that the reset caused it to look at the old locations, possibly from any previous installations of 1Password 7. I think 1Password 8 was seeing the old account prior to the recovery. This is only speculation on my part. I can't be certain this is what happened in your instance.

I saw in the community that you went back to 1Password 7. So how do we get you back to 1Passwords 8? We set aside any databases that 1Password 8 may find.

1. It's imperative to the safety of your data that you ensure it is available on https://my.1password.com and ensure you have a copy of your 🚒 Emergency Kit and that you know your password.

2. If all data is present. Follow the instructions to completely remove 1Password 7 from your system.

How to uninstall 1Password - I have modified them slightly to fit your situation. See below.

1Password 7 app:

1. Click the 1Password icon in your menu bar and choose Quit.

In 1Password 7, choose Quit 1Password Completely.

1. Right-click on 1Password 7 in the Applications folder and select compress.
    • Delete the original 1Password 7 application.

1Password 8 app:

• No need to remove the 1Password 8 app.

--

1Password data:

1. In Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder, then enter the following path and press Return:

~/Library/Application Support/

1. Drag any files with com.agilebits in the name to the Trash.

Example: com.agilebits.onepassword4.plist

1. Choose Go > Go to Folder, then enter the following path and press Return:

~/Library/Containers/

1. Right-click on any folders with com.agilebits and 1Password in the name and select compress.

Example: 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

4a. - Delete the original folder referenced in step 5

1. Choose Go > Go to Folder, then enter the following path and press Return:

~/Library/Group Containers/

If you see “The folder can’t be found”, click Cancel and skip the next step.

1. Right-click on any folders with com.agilebits or 2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password and select compress.

Example: 2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password

6a. - Drag any original folders mentioned above in step 7 to the Trash.

• The steps above leave you with the zipped copy in place if you should need it and gives us a clean slate to work with.

--

1Password 8:

Choose Go > Go to Folder, then enter the following path and press Return:

~/Library/Group Containers/

Right-click on any folders with com.agilebits or 2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password and select compress.

Example: 2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password

• Delete the original folders.

• There should be two but the steps for 1Password 7 would have covered this. 🙂

--

Get going again:

Restart the Mac. Please do not skip this step.

Try to avoid opening any browsers until after opening 1Password 8.

Double click on the 1Password application to start 1Password 8 and go through the authentication process.

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2022
    Options

To avoid the original poster getting notifications of any follow-ups if someone needed assistance, I will be closing this. Please start a new discussion and reference this topic if needed, and we'll happy to assist you.

This discussion has been closed.