Unlocking 1Password Browser Extension Doesn't Unlock the Main App (or Quick Access)

mixture
mixture
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Mac

I think this wasn't like this before...

Latest 1Password 8 on Mac (on latest Ventura).

I use Firefox.

When I unlock 1Password in Firefox first, it does not unlock the actual 1Password app or the Quick Access in menu bar.

If I unlock 1Password main app first (or Quick Access), then the Firefox 1Password is also unlocked.

This is probably not intended behavior? I wonder what's wrong here.

Similarly, when I lock 1Password main app, it locks the Quick Access as well, but the Firefox 1Password remains unlocked and I can continue use 1Password through the browser. I'm pretty sure when I locked 1Password main app before, it also locked the browser extension.

1Password Version: 8.9.14
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: 13.2
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Hello @mixture! 👋

I'm sorry that 1Password isn't working correctly. It sounds like you may be running into a known issue with communication between 1Password in the browser and the 1Password app. Our developers have released a fix for the issue in the latest version of 1Password, can you please update to version 8.9.15:

How to keep 1Password up to date

After updating please restart your Mac. Let me know if you still see the issue. 🙂

-Dave

• josephc
    josephc
    Community Member

I have the same issue. Click the 1password extension in Firefox and it lets me type my password but then when i hit enter, it doesnt unlock. I go the the actual 1password app and can unlock it which also unlocks the firefox extension in the browser.

It started happening around the same time as OP. Is there something else I can do to resolve this?
    I've also tried using the Chrome extension when 1Password is locked and that works as intended so assume the issue lies with Firefox.

1Password Version: 8.10.8
    Extension Version: 2.11.0
    OS Version: 13.4.1
    Browser: Firefox 115.0.2

• tata
    tata
    Community Member

Hi, same here, opening/unlocking the extension in Firefox doesn't work. It probably started with 1Password 8.10.8.

1. Open extension in Firefox. What actually opens, is the app.
    2. Unlock app then. Seems to be o.k., no error message.
    3. Extension is still locked - as well as is the app itself.
    4. Open app directly, unlock.
    5. App is unlocked, and so is the extension.
    6. Locking app locks extension, too.

1Password Version: 8.10.8
    Extension Version: 2.11.0, latest possible in Firefox
    OS Version: 10.15.7

• @tata

Can you check to ensure the following is enabled? If not, please enable it.

1Password > Preferences (Settings) > General - Keep 1Password in the menu bar

--

If that's not fruitful please try the following.

1. Turn off - 1Password > Preferences (Settings) > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser
    2. Right-click on the browser toolbar icon, selecting Settings (General Tab) and then disable Integrate with 1Password app.
    3. Quit the browser completely! A full quit, not a close or minimize to the dock.
    4. Quit 1Password. Look for our helper in the menu bar and then right-click and select quit.
    5. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder and unlock.
    6. Turn On - 1Password > Preferences (Settings) > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser
    7. Open your browser.
    8. Right-click on the browser toolbar icon, selecting Settings (General Tab) and then enable Integrate with 1Password app.
  • tata
    tata
    Community Member

Thank you, @ag_tommy. Enabling the menu bar did the trick. Small step, big difference.
    However, it used to work without 1Password in the menu bar. It was of no use to me and still isn't - except that everything works again now. Never mind.

• @tata

Correct it used to be different. Now the menu bar app must be present or you'll encounter a case like you did. This is a relatively new change that was actually a bug fix on our end. My apologies for the trouble. I'm happy to hear things are working again. If that changes for some reason we'll be here to help.

This discussion has been closed.