Cannot enable Touch ID on M1 Pro MacBook Pro

Options
ryugoo
ryugoo
Community Member
edited March 2023 in Mac

I have a MacBook Pro (macOS Ventura 13.3) with M1 Pro and recently added fingerprints to Touch ID and removed old ones. Now I can no longer use Touch ID with 1Password. The startup screen shows the message "Your system's security settings have changed. Enter your password to unlock."

I have tried completely uninstalling 1Password using an uninstall tool and reinstalling it, deleting all fingerprints registered on the Mac, turning it off and on again, etc., but the problem persists.

Is there anything I can do to get Touch ID to work?

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: macOS Ventura 13.3
Browser:_ Google Chrome

Comments

• @ryugoo

Are you using an Intel device or Apple silicon device? The following steps may help. It might also require us to take a deeper look with a diagnostics report. Let's hope that's not needed.

Intel:

1. Disable whichever unlock method(s) you're using there -- Touch ID and/or Apple Watch unlock -- completely from within 1Password Preferences > Security and in System Preferences

2. Check for any apply any remaining macOS updates --  Apple Support - Update macOS on Mac

3. If you have not done so already on any applicable Mac(s), do an SMC reset --  Apple Support - How to reset the SMC of your Mac

4. Restart your Mac(s) normally.

5. Setup your preferred unlock method(s) again: Touch ID to unlock 1Password on your Mac or ⌚ Apple Watch to unlock 1Password on your Mac

M series:

The M series does not have an SMC reset. That said, step 4 is the closest equivalent to it. Do not skip step 4

1. Disable whichever unlock method(s) you're using there -- Touch ID and/or Apple Watch unlock -- completely from within 1Password Preferences > Security and in System Preferences

2. Check for any apply any remaining macOS updates --  Apple Support - Update macOS on Mac

3. If you have not done so already on any applicable Mac(s),  Apple Support - How to reset the SMC of your Mac. Not applicable on an M series Mac. Proceed to the next step.

4. Fully shut down the Mac. Wait a few seconds.

5. Start your Mac(s) normally.

6. Setup your preferred unlock method(s) again: Touch ID to unlock 1Password on your Mac or ⌚ Apple Watch to unlock 1Password on your Mac

• ryugoo
    ryugoo
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

@ag_tommy

Thank you for your reply!

I am using a MacBook Pro with Apple Silicon, so I tried the method you described. But unfortunately the problem could not be solved. The Touch ID item in the settings is still grayed out and cannot be turned on or off. Please let me know how to do this so I can submit a diagnosis.

• ryugoo
    ryugoo
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Looking at 1Password_rCurrent.log, I see

INFO 2023-03-29T10:54:25.039 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(13)) [1P:foundation/op-apple/src/biometry_service.rs:286] System biometry info: BiometricStatus { current_policy: BiometricsOnly, current_method: TouchId, current_availability: EnrollmentChanged }

is displayed in the log.

Of course, the system's Touch ID is working effectively and can be used to unlock macOS and in situations where administrator privileges are required.

• @ryugoo

I'm sorry that Touch ID still isn't working to unlock 1Password. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• ryugoo
    ryugoo
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Diagnostic results were sent via email.
    Please see below for the support ID number.

JSY-88135-782

• Thanks @ryugoo

Please continue the discussion with my colleagues. Now that we have a direct line of communication going I am going to close this topic.

ref: JSY-88135-782

This discussion has been closed.