Experiment #1 - Default Details

Options

Comments

• @iamncdai Great question! Currently this feature is only enabled for Individual and Family accounts but it's great to know you're keen to try new things on your Business account.

• joenash3
    joenash3
    Community Member
    Options

I like it, though picking from my short lists only takes a sec.

• Just a call out that Labs is now live on the latest Stable release. We're hoping this will increase the amount of feedback we get. Super glad people are finding it valuable so far and we've already made a bunch of changes based on your feedback, so please keep it coming!

We're also making some improvements to the UI for the filling experience. This will make it clearer that the item at the top is the one that you've set as your default and separates it from the rest. You can check it out in the latest nightly extension if you're interested. Would love to hear feedback on that change. We're hoping it will ship in the next stable as we continue to iterate on this project :)

• nightoftheoak
    nightoftheoak
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Matt! (and anyone else that might be monitoring this thread). I love the new defaults feature and I think it's super helpful.

1. Does this experiment help you get things done faster and with less friction? Without a doubt. Filling out forms and credit card information is annoying. macOS has the built-in ability to fill both already using Safari, of course, but the 1Password fill has always been better and more reliable (e.g. it fills the right stuff into the right fields every single time). Now, supercharged with the ability to choose defaults for both the identity and the credit card fill, it's next level and I love it!
    2. Should we ship default details in the Stable product? Please, please, please do!
  • Jeff Burger
    Jeff Burger
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, this is a helpful feature.

• lphillips0825
    lphillips0825
    Community Member
    Options

Yes and Yes

• WDC
    WDC
    Community Member
    Options

I really like this feature. I am invariably seeking the proper ID and cc ... no longer the case. Good addition!

• mathminded
    mathminded
    Community Member
    Options

I really like this and think you should incorporate it into the core product. I have many identities and credit cards but usually only use a specific identity and card in almost all web transactions.

• yvrhnl
    yvrhnl
    Community Member
    Options

1.Yes, and 2.Yes.

• brisssou
    brisssou
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Does this experiment help you get things done faster and with less friction?
      Somehow, but favorites were providing a similar feature. Putting favs first in the list would achieve the same.

2. Should we ship default details in the Stable product?
      Improve favs?

• johnjamesjacoby
    johnjamesjacoby
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    1. Yes
    2. Yes

Big fan!

One thing I noticed: the phrase "payment card" is used in the label, but "credit card" is used everywhere else in the app (even to categorize non-credit & debit type cards).

My general feedback is: before reaching production in the beta branch, the more basic stuff like "what do we even call this thing" is already sorted. I suspect that means still filtering Labs through your various internal checks & processes (Q&A, polyglot, etc...) which might defeat part of the purpose, etc... but we don't really know the difference 🤣

Edit: rewritten to sound less critical & more supportive ☮️

• howardoakland
    howardoakland
    Community Member
    Options

yes to both questions

• ChuckN
    ChuckN
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I have a number of ID's and Credit Cards. This feature is useful to me. When picking out which ID it would be useful if a preview of the ID info shown was displayed before selecting.

• greenplanet
    greenplanet
    Community Member
    Options

Yes to both questions

• matt.g1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

Thanks for all the feedback so far! This is super helpful. @johnjamesjacoby I've added that feedback about the naming inconsistency to our list for triage. Much appreciated.

@brisssou you're totally right about the Favorites as they exist today. I think Default Details is a much more direct way of creating that experience. Many users wouldn't make the connection that they could use a favorite in this capacity. Ultimately what are trying to do with Default Details (and whatever it evolves into in the future) is to recognize that not all items are the same. Some are distinctly yours, some are items you keep on behalf of someone else, some are shared items with differently levels of importance between users.

An example could be a credit card you share with a spouse. It could be your default, but their secondary. This model allows for that distinction elegantly whereas favorites are shared, so it would be boosted for everyone. I do also recognize that we then need to spend some time making Favorites more useful for the use cases they serve in this model. Definitely something we're exploring as well!

• johnjamesjacoby
    johnjamesjacoby
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

@brisssou I use favorites and never made the connection that those entries would be prioritized in other areas. Like, it never occurred to me to star/favorite my own identity with the intent of bumping it up in the pickers. Rather, favorites were just a very specific kind of "tag/category/taxonomy" displayed with special preference in the GUI.

Secondarily, these 1password settings essentially act as overrides for existing browser settings (attached, Safari):

I can totally imagine "Favorites" being beefed up separately, and/or some kind of control over the presentational order of suggestions in an auto-complete GUI, but if I'm understanding the intent of these Labs settings correctly, they're subtly different things?

@matt.g1P thank you & you are welcome! Labs is a super good idea! It will absolutely increase engagement with testers; just be careful what y'all wish for! 🤣

• juldum
    juldum
    Community Member
    Options

I've activated the feature on the iPhone app, but I don't understand how it's supposed to work on iOS since Safari handles AutoComplete? Am I missing something?

• EddyExmann
    EddyExmann
    Community Member
    Options

Yes very usefull if you recorder several id's and or credit cards in the 1password DB. Yes please incorporate in future release, with the options to use default or not.

• @juldum you need to make sure you’ve enabled the extension for Safari. Take a look at: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-safari-ios/

• Hap67
    Hap67
    Community Member
    Options

Just tried the defaults. It will come in very handy, however one enhancement. Could we have anything archived either not show up, or at the bottom of the list. I have archived credit cards - including several that were "acquired" by other and thus cancelled. I archive them to have a record of those numbers, but they frequently show up. I think that anything archived shouldn't show up unless I specifically ask for it.

• steins
    steins
    Community Member
    Options

1. Does this experiment help you get things done faster and with less friction?

The recent experiment with the Identity Manager has shown promise in streamlining the process of filling out online forms. After the initial setup, it makes tasks faster and reduces friction. However, some areas of improvement could enhance the user experience:

Initial Learning Curve:

The first few uses can take time and effort. While the intention is to make things easier, the initial setup can be counterintuitive, especially when encountering websites with varying terminologies for similar fields.

Field Recognition:

I noticed the Identity Manager did not recognise synonymous terms like "Company," "Organisation," and "Business" as being the same. This required me to manually create custom fields for each word, even though they represent the same information.

User Experience:

The default ID feature worked seamlessly once the custom fields were set up. However, users may see setting up these custom fields as a nuisance. They might need help to create new custom fields for every possible variation of a default field name, leading to potential complaints about the feature needing to be fixed.

Recommendation:

If there's a way to map these synonymous terms in the backend, it would significantly enhance the user experience. By automatically recognising and filling out fields regardless of the specific terminology used by different websites, users wouldn't need to create multiple custom fields in their default ID. Implementing this change could make the Identity Manager a game-changer in the market.

2. Should we ship default details in the Stable product?

Yes, but only after the above items are addressed.

• rbegleiter
    rbegleiter
    Community Member
    Options

This idea is good (setting preferred identity and associated details). It would be even more useful if this feature allowed users to create more than one of our own "bundles" (of ID, payment method, etc.), name them ourselves, and select their "order of presentation." I might want to create one bundle of my ID with payment method #1, another bundle of my ID with payment method #2, etc. Allowing users to determine their order-of-presentation within 1Pwd would make their use predictable. And it would allow users to set different orders on their desktop machines, on their laptops, on their mobile devices, etc.

• gustavojk
    gustavojk
    Community Member
    Options

This idea is good (setting preferred identity and associated details). It would be even more useful if this feature allowed users to create more than one of our own "bundles" (of ID, payment method, etc.), name them ourselves, and select their "order of presentation." I might want to create one bundle of my ID with payment method #1, another bundle of my ID with payment method #2, etc. Allowing users to determine their order-of-presentation within 1Pwd would make their use predictable. And it would allow users to set different orders on their desktop machines, on their laptops, on their mobile devices, etc.

• PieterS
    PieterS
    Community Member
    Options

(sorry, I didn't scroll through all past comments; please ignore if already mentioned)
    You might want to take the current Collection into account for filtering the list of items to choose from. I have an explicit "Archive" vault, and also shared vaults for my (under age) children; now I had to rename some items in order to be sure I selected the correct defaults.

• Mychale65
    Mychale65
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    1. LOVE this feature!!!! My 1Password was always defaulting to my mom's identity.... drove me nuts! This is fantastic!!😀
    2. Absolutely provide this in the stable product... everyone will love it. And I hope more default choices will come along for all the categories! ❤️

On a side note... it took forever to find the comment window!!! Weird that it's at the bottom, rather than the top. 🤔

• Rockinron
    Rockinron
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I love this feature, as it shortens my credit card list to zone in on the one I use most frequently, and the default identity will come in handy too, as I share with my wife, and have her ID in there also. Keep the enhancements coming and I definitely think these both should be in the final version. @Mychale65 I also had a hard time finding the comment window! 😆

• matt.g1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Hap67 thanks for the feedback. I've added that to the list for us to explore in followup work

@gustavojk the way we have currently been thinking about this long term is as follows:

• Each account would have a default identity that the user can set
    • Each identity can have multiple cards and/email addresses (maybe even physical addresses) attached to them. We started with 1 for the POC, but ideally we'd like to allow for more. For each identity you would also be able to set priority for these fields if you have more than one.

Really appreciate the feedback so far folks. If anyone has a chance to play around with the Beta extension I would really love some feedback on the new UI experience for your defaults. We wanted to make it clearer that what you were seeing is "special" compared to the other items in the list.

• Tutish
    Tutish
    Community Member
    Options

I have the options selected, but my default card and ID aren't first in my list. Nothing has changed for me. Latest version of 1password on S23 Ultra, Android 13. And on the desktop is windows 11. I've also turned it off and on again 😀 Cheers Justine

• @Tutish you can currently set defaults on Android and they will be reflected on all of your other devices attached to that account. Elevating them to the top spot on Android lands in the next stable!

• tuvomtomvu
    tuvomtomvu
    Community Member
    Options

good