Not able to remove item from Watchtower 'Ignored alerts' in edge case

Options
ajh0912
ajh0912
Community Member

It looks like if you ignore a Watchtower alert, then later the reason that item had an alert is now resolved, then under Watchtower > Ignored alerts, you no longer have the option to remove that item from the Ignored alerts area.

Steps to reproduce:

• Have an item with a Watchtower alert
  • Click Ignore in the Watchtower banner
  • Resolve the problem that caused the alert (e.g. add '2FA' tag)
  • Look under Watchtower > Ignored alerts
  • Observe that you can't remove the item from the ignored alerts list, as no 'Restore alert' - button is available because the Watchtower banner is hidden.

Steps to fix:

• Make the item have a problem again (e.g. remove the '2FA' tag)
  • Watchtower banner is visible again
  • Click 'Restore alert'
  • Observe the item is no longer in the 'Ignored alerts' list
    Resolve the problem again (e.g. add 2FA tag)

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.15 (81015001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @ajh0912! 👋

I'm sorry that you ran into an issue when dismissing ignored alerts. Our developers are aware of the issue and I've added your report to the internal work item that we have open.

Another workaround to remove the alert is to duplicate the item and then delete the original.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#15433

• ajh0912
    ajh0912
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave, thanks for the info.

I just happened to come across another bug related to Watchtower. This time with 'Vulnerable password' alerts.

You can end up with a 'Vulnerable password' banner, even if you have no password actually filled in.

Create an item (using a template that has a password field present by default, like Login/Password/Database), enter a vulnerable password (for example 'a'), save the item.
    Edit the item, clear the password field entirely, save the item. The 'Vulnerable password' banner remains.

• @ajh0912

The "Vulnerable password" banner not disappearing when you remove a vulnerable password from an item but don't replace it with a new password is a known issue and in our developer's backlog.

As a workaround for now, you can force Watchtower to check for vulnerable passwords again, and remove the banner, by turning "Check for vulnerable passwords" off and then back on in 1Password > Settings > Privacy.

Thank you for the report!

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#18641

• nrfirth
    nrfirth
    Community Member
    Options

If you ignore an alert and then go and address the issue that created the alert, it still shows up in "Ignored alerts" even though there is no longer an alert.

Ex. You have a Google account that is administered by an org that hasn't enable passkeys yet. So you ignore the alert so it doesn't show up. After the org enables passkeys, you add one to your account without restoring the alert first. That Google account will continue to show up in "Ignored alerts" even though the alert you ignored (passkey available) is no longer applicable. There is no way to clear it out of that list that I can find.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Not Provided

• nrfirth
    nrfirth
    Community Member
    Options

Additional info:

This is true in the Production (8.10.16) version, the beta version and the nightly version.

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thanks for linking the other thread @ajh0912. 🙂

@nrfirth

Our developers are investigating the issue and I've added your report to the internal work item as well. For now, as a workaround, you can duplicate the affected item and then delete the original in order to remove the alert. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.