Fill and Submit not listing correct Logins in Firefox 23

Options
reelstuff
reelstuff
Community Member
edited August 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I just updated to firefox, 23, (should have waited) but had some other issues and bugs I needed access to so updated.

Noticed almost right away a problem with the functionality of 1 pass, which appears to effect communication between dialog forms and the DB query operation process.

Rather than try to describe the issue here is a video detailing the issues in real time, (pardon the humorous anecdotes)

note it may take a few moment to load the video depending on your network speed.

http://www.stickyadz.com.s3.amazonaws.com/pass.mp4

I think I will go back to the previous version until they get this corrected, I have seen something like this in the past, but not quite this much blocking.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry that you're having this problem. Please try saving a new Login manually like this:

1. Visit the forum's dedicated login page: http://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin
    2. Enter your credentials, but DO NOT submit the form.
    3. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.
    4. Change the title and make any notes (if desired).
    5. Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

Using the above technique I was able to save and fill a sample login at:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin

Manually saving a new Login can be useful for logins that are either problematic to begin with or were once working but have since stopped. Saving a new Login item allows 1Password to refresh everything it "knows" about the page. Login pages often change as websites are updated and this can be a necessary but very useful tip. :)

Please let me know how it goes.

• Rich
    Rich
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. I think I'm seeing a similar problem to reelstuff since upgrading to Firefox 23.0.

I'm on Mac OS 10.6.8, 1Password 3.8.21 and Firefox plugin 3.9.19.

After a restart of Firefox the normal invoking of the 1P plugin works as expected. It can open a webpage, fill in the details, and then submit them.

However, after some period of time or based on something happening such as closing the Firefox window (but not quitting the app), the plugin stops working properly. You can pop-up the window but typing may not work as the search box does not have focus. Getting focus and then typing works but clicking an entry does not cause a new tab to open.

I've also seen a situation where the 1P list showed found entries only under the "Fill and submit login" section despite the selected Firefox tab being blank. The "Open login in new tab" section was blank. No amount of re-typing or clicking on the section headers made a difference.

The only way I've found to return the 1P plugin to a functional state is to restart Firefox.

After Firefox updated the other day various other plugin I use (such as Tab Mix Plus) have been updated, and I've not yet had a chance to go through disabling them to find out if there is an interaction causing an issue or narrowing down the circumstances that show it.

• tangalo
    tangalo
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problems after updating to FFv23. Have tried both 3.9.19 and 3.9.20b2 plugins. I'm using OSX 10.8.4. Sometimes the dropdown from the FF plugin toolbar button is completely blank. Sometimes the dropdown "fill login" offers the userid/pwd from the previous time it was used and will fill in the userid/pwd on the current page even though it is for a completely different URL! Something's definitely broken with FFv23.

• reelstuff
    reelstuff
    Community Member
    Options

What I ended up doing was to shut down, then reboot, using safari, once I started using safari, everything worked correctly.

• tangalo
    tangalo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi reelstuff,
    Do you mean FF started to work OK after using Safari or have you switched to Safari full time and stopped using FF?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Do the problems persist if you create a new Firefox profile and install only the 1Password extension in it?

• Rich
    Rich
    Community Member
    Options

I've created a new Firefox profile and installed only the 1P extension. I think the problem does persist.

This is what I am seeing. I start FF and choose the new test profile with just the 1P extension installed, leaving you at just the FF start page open in a tab. Click the 1P icon (or use the keyboard shortcut) and type "ama" to get the Amazon details. Hit return. A new tab opens, it goes to Amazon, fills in the details and submits. All as expected. Sign out of Amazon and close the tab, leaving just the FF start page tab. I can now go back through the process of invoking 1P; logging into Amazon by typing "ama" and hitting return; letting it opening a new tab, filling in the details and auto-submitting; signing out and closing the tab.

However, as soon as I close the FF window (but leave FF running), and then open a new window things start to fall apart.

We are back with just the FF stat page tab. After clicking the 1P button typing has no effect. The Amazon entry in the list is highlighted already too. Clicking the Amazon entry opens a new tab and logs in as you would expect. Clicking the search icon in the 1P extension will allow you type and search as expected.

Some sites I use have a secondary queston/password page after the initial login details. With 1P in this state they don't work as before. Choosing the item to fill in the answer either opens a new tab to fill in (that's not going to work) or if I force it to use the current tab it tries to reload the page first (which also won't work).

When you open the 1P extension the previously typed text is still there and the last selected entry is highlighted, even if you go to a site that you have login credentials stored for.

Only restarting FF will get us back to the earlier working state.

I haven't been able to provoke Safari (I'm on v5.1.9) into the same or similar behaviour, but I generally don't use Safari.

Hopefully that helps.

• Rich
    Rich
    Community Member
    Options

I've just reverted to Firefox v22.0 and I'm getting all the normally expected behaviour from 1P that I've come to know and love. And that is with my original profile with all the other extensions installed.

There is some change in FF 23 that 1P does not get along with.

• tangalo
    tangalo
    Community Member
    Options

I have also created a FFv23 profile with only a 1P extension and still have the same issues ...

1. open up FF with profile for 1P only extension and navigate to log in page of siteA
    2. click toolbar 1P icon which offers correct "Fill Login" for siteA
    3. click "Fill Login" for siteA - log in form is filled in as usual and submit
    4. log off siteA and close FF window (but not FF itself)
    5. open new FF window and navigate to log in page for siteB
    6. click toolbar 1P icon which still offers "Fill Login" for siteA not siteB
    7. if I click on this "Fill Login" it will fill siteB log in form with siteA userid/pw

if, at this point, I search for siteB in the 1P drop down, it will find it but, on clicking it, 1P opens a new tab rather than completing the log in form on the current tab.

I also sometimes get a blank drop down when clicking the 1P toolbar icon but haven't yet been able to reproduce this at will.

I think this is pretty much the same behaviour that Rich describes.

• reelstuff
    reelstuff
    Community Member
    Options

Here is what happened in my case, I closed out FF, started using Safari, it worked fine, Did not bother using FF again for a while, until the next day I had to use it to access a tool on another server, so I ran FF, (interestingly it ran as normal, the 1 pass dialog ran correctly)

So, what ever the main issue was I suspect was corrected by running a different browser which is odd that it also fixed the issue with the FF extension, but hey Im good with that, LOL.

• tangalo
    tangalo
    Community Member
    Options

I'm going back to FFv22 for the time being. Will keep an eye on FF updates and/or 1P updates to see if this problem is fixed. I hear there may be some other issues with FFv23. I know it's unlikely but passwords are too precious to risk any possible consequences of unintended behaviour.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for following up on this, folks. I've mentioned this to the developers so they can investigate further. If there is anything else I can help with in the meantime, please let me know!

OPX-20

• Rich
    Rich
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks khad.

My guess is that reelstuff is seeing similar problems with FFv23 after running Safari but they have been masked by restarting Firefox. Tangalo's experience largely echoes mine.

In case anyone else is considering reverting to FFv22 I thought I should say that downloading the app from Mozilla's website (find the link to v23 and change the 3 to a 2 in the URL) and copying it over FFv23 worked for me. There were no issues with it using my profile that had been used for FFv23. Of course your experience may differ so it would be wise to take a copy of your profile folder (~/Library/Applications Support/Firefox/Profiles) just in case before running FFv22.

You should also probably prevent the auto update feature before quitting FFv23 too (Preferences > Advanced tab > Update sub section).

• DingoBlue
    DingoBlue
    Community Member
    Options

I cannot add anything to the above - just to say that since the upgrade to FF23 the 1Pass Extension does not work correctly. Reloading the Add-on will very temporarily clear the problem but it soon reverts to not working.

FF23 - Mac 10.8.4 - 1Password 3.8.21 - FF 1Pass Add-on - 3.9.19

• tangalo
    tangalo
    Community Member
    Options

You can also get FFv22 from here https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/22.0/mac/en-US/
    Go to the parent directory for other languages and further up the path for different OS etc. Yes, it's a good idea to turn off auto update before overwriting v23 - I speak from experience.

• reelstuff
    reelstuff
    Community Member
    Options

quick update, Its back and it appears to be the same issues as before, except that restarting firefox, was not part of the pattern in the first set of tests, > @My guess is that reelstuff is seeing similar problems with FFv23 after running Safari but they have been masked by restarting Firefox. Tangalo's experience largely echoes mine.

Since I did not restart firefox, the first go around, my apologies if that was not clear, )

After the miraculous, recovery, the following day, the same behavior appeared again.

This time I attempted to reproduce the behavior of the previous day.

Started, safari, (extension worked correctly as before)

Tried the same website with FF, 23, no change, (different circumstance, this time the dialog was completely blank and failed to respond)

So, I closed FF, 23, booted it again and this time the issue resolved, but wait, this lasted for moments only, (remember it was last in a blank state)

No data was transported, after a reboot, data was served, however upon the next login the data was again stuck on the previous screen, (last and only successful login)

Currently the behavior is fixed.

I tried clearing out the history cookies, ect, to no avail.

Going back to previous FF until the bug is discovered and corrected.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the continued follow up on this issue. It looks like something in Firefox 23 changed/broke. We're working on a fix on our end (if possible), but I don't have a time frame.

• socalmactech
    socalmactech
    Community Member
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi,

A Macbook Air, running 10.8.4, and the most update version of 1Password. Firefox 23.0.1, 1Password the only extension - which has been uninstalled and reinstalled twice.

Here is the description of the problem:
    I tested 1P mid-afternoon and it worked 10 times on 10 sites in sequence. Then, an hour later, it failed again, and got stuck on the last login I had used. Now, hours later, it is still stuck, in the same place. I have quit 1P and re-opened it, still broken. I have logged into 1P when I re-opened it, still stuck.

I'm quite sure if I re-start the Mac, 1P will work again for the initial hour or so, of the initial logins, but later it will fail. This has been the consistent pattern.

Any suggestions?

Paul

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi @socalmactech,

It sounds like your issue might match one of the known issues. Are you experiencing one (or both) of these?

Or is what you're seeing different than those? Could you please describe in as much detail as possible the steps you are taking, and what you are [not] seeing happen when you say "it failed"? With some additional information from you we can then provide you with specific assistance.

Thanks!

• socalmactech
    socalmactech
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Khad, sorry about the double post.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem. Sorry for misspelling your username. You probably would have seen the notification if I spelled it correctly the first time. :)

I merged your post with this existing thread, but please let me know if there is anything else I can help with in the meantime.

• iwbyte
    iwbyte
    Community Member
    Options

In case you need more data, same issue here FF 23.0.1 on Mac OS X. Works fine when I relaunch firefox, but after a while it breaks. Keyboard command will bring up 1Password window, but if its locked I can't log -in (can type in password but no clicking/returns work) and if unlocked all results are blank

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @iwbyte! I think we have it under control, but I will definitely post back here if we need more information. Much appreciated.

• wsf
    wsf
    Community Member
    Options

I have a somewhat awkward circumvention. When the 1Password extension begins acting up (mine is usually good for a few logins after startup), going to the 1Password extension entry in the FF Add-ons menu (under the Tools menu) and disabling and then re-enabling gets a new shot. No restart of FF is required, and, hence, current open connections are preserved. When you go back to the 1Password extension, it will require the password to be entered. In my case, it is good for another few login attempts; it correctly reflects the current web address.

• iwbyte
    iwbyte
    Community Member
    Options

wsf, thanks for tip - that seems to work so far for me and yes, is much better than quitting FF.

• dave26
    dave26
    Community Member
    Options

I have seen similar experience with FF. Every time the system goes to sleep, the extension does not work correctly. Pressing the keyboard shortcut opens the extension, but at the last password used before the sleep state. It does not come up locked. Disabling and then reloading the extension makes it work and it comes up locked the first time. Unlocking with the password makes it work correctly. Restarting FF does not work, unless I restart the helper from 1Password.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Those of you having this problem, would you be willing to try the 1Password 4 for Mac beta? If so, please email us and include a link to this thread and your forum username.

• GaryP
    GaryP
    Community Member
    Options

Just piling on here to let the admins know that others are also having the same frustrating experience. Very annoying. I would be willing to try any option to eliminate the need to restart/disable/re-enable, etc.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@GaryP, please do email us with a link to this thread and your username as I requested if you would be willing to try the 1Password 4 for Mac beta.

• meathead
    meathead
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. It started 1-2 weeks ago. I have the universal lock enabled. Additionally, after the auto-lock enables the extension allows you to still see the login names, but you cannot click on any of them and if you try to enter a master password, the extension will not accept it.

This discussion has been closed.