Need help saving a passkey for my Google account

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Passkey and iPhone.

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello @bugwhat! ๐Ÿ‘‹

Thank you for your interest in trying passkeys! As a start please make sure that you've done the following:

1. Update your iPhone to iOS 17: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (CA)
    2. Update 1Password for iOS to the latest version: How to keep 1Password up to date

Next, check to see that 1Password is setup to save and fill passkeys:

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > Password Options.
    3. Turn on Turn on AutoFill Passwords and Passkeys.
    4. Select 1Password.

Then try to save or fill a passkey using this guide: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

If that still doesn't work then can you tell me if you're trying to sign into the Google website in your browser (and which browser you're using) or a specific Google app (and which app it is)?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    Options

I'm experiencing the same issue. The QR code popping up is Apple's implementation of passkeys. And even though in my Autofill settings I do NOT have iCloud Keychain selected for anything it still appears. 1PW and Apple's implementation appear to be stepping on each other. I don't see myself relying on 1PW to use passkeys until this fundamental issue is resolved.

• @bugwhat and @OAW

I'm sorry that you're both having trouble signing into your Google account using a passkey. I just tested the process again myself and I'm able to use a passkey to sign into my Google account on my iPhone. Can you please try the following:

1. Open and unlock the main 1Password app on your iPhone, find the Login item for your Google account and confirm that you see a saved passkey.
    2. Open Safari.
    3. Go to: https://accounts.google.com
    4. Type in your email address and tap Next.
    5. You might see two different screens:
    • If you see a screen that says "Use your passkey to confirm it's really you" then tap Continue.
    • If you see a screen asking for your password then tap Try another way and then tap Use your passkey.
    1. The 1Password "Sign in with your passkey?" prompt will appear. Tap Continue. Unlock 1Password and you'll be signed in.

If one of these steps doesn't work then can you please tell me exactly which step and describe what you see on your screen. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• @bugwhat

I'm sorry that things still aren't working. Can you check your AutoFill settings in 1Password itself:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap the icon for your account or collection at the top left and choose Settings. (If youโ€™re using an iPad, tap your account or collection at the top of the sidebar.)
    3. Tap AutoFill.
    4. Make sure that both "AutoFill" and "Show filling suggestions" are turned on.
    5. Set "Show filling suggestion from" to your entire account, not just a single collection.

Then open Safari and try to sign in again using the exact steps in my previous post: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/696253/#Comment_696253

Let me know how that goes. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• @bugwhat

I'm happy to hear that the suggestion helped and that you're now able to sign into your Google account with a passkey. ๐Ÿ™‚

For each passkey that we setup is it advisable for now to keep the old password? I would think so for a while.

For the moment, many websites don't offer the ability to fully remove your password and I wouldn't recommend removing the password from 1Password if you can't remove it from the website itself.

If you're using websites that do fully replace the password with a passkey then you won't need the old password anymore.

What about authentication app? Would you say passkey replaces that or keep as an option for a while.
    What about physical key? Would you say passkey is just as good, but keep that as an option for a while.

Unlike passwords, you canโ€™t create a weak passkey. Passkeys are generated by your device using a public-private key pair, which makes them strong and unique by default. Passkeys canโ€™t be phished like a traditional password because the underlying private key never leaves 1Password โ€“ this also makes them resistant to social engineering scams.

Two-factor authentication was designed to add an additional layer of protection to passwords against phishing. Passkeys are already resistant to phishing and can be considered to have the same level of security as a password plus two-factor authentication, with a lot less friction.

and one final question how do I setup a passkey for 1Password and if I can do that will it work for the 1Password app itself?

You can't add a passkey to a 1Password account yet. Unlocking 1Password with a passkey is currently in a private beta and we hope to share more news soon. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24139

This discussion has been closed.