Running into issues with the Safari extension and questions about AutoFill

Options
martinvandiemen
martinvandiemen
Community Member
edited February 5 in Mac

I'm wondering why the experience of Password Options differs from iOS/iPadOS and macOS.

In iOS/iPadOS is like to use 1Password as default in Password Options. But it's also enabled as a Safari Extension. The Safari Extension is not needed in this case. Disabling the Safari Extension will result in the fact it's disabled on macOS as well. Very annoying.

In macOS the only option we have is to use the browser extension (for Safari).

My question is. Isn't possible to add 1Password to Password Options in macOS the same as for iOS/iPadOS?

The reason why I'm asking this is that the extension in Safari is slow very slow and often gives issues after an update (Extension needs to be disabled and enabled). This would give me a much better native experience.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: 2.19.0
OS Version: macOS Sonoma 14.3
Browser: Safari

Comments

• @martinvandiemen

If you disable this section on macOS does it help?

There is a similar section on iOS.

iOS > Settings > Safari > Extensions > and uncheck share across devices.

• martinvandiemen
    martinvandiemen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_tommy for the suggestion. But this will affect all extension, not just 1Password. It's a work-around for now but I would like to see that 1Password for macOS would be available as an Password Option like on iOS/iPadOS. Or as Apple calls it Password AutoFill: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/password_autofill/

• martinvandiemen
    martinvandiemen
    Community Member
    Options

Guess there is already another topic about this which I hadn't found earlier: https://1password.community/discussion/135622/native-password-autofill-extension-macos

• martinvandiemen
    martinvandiemen
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to see this as well. Now I must disable the share across devices: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/704533

• @martinvandiemen

Thanks for the reply, I've merged your other comment into your original thread so that we can keep the conversation in one place. 🙂

The reason why I'm asking this is that the extension in Safari is slow very slow and often gives issues after an update (Extension needs to be disabled and enabled).

Can you tell me a little more about the issues that you're running into when using 1Password for Safari on your Mac? I'd love to be able to look into this further and get those issues fixed.

I would like to see that 1Password for macOS would be available as an Password Option like on iOS/iPadOS.

1Password for Safari offers the full 1Password experience and includes support for features that the macOS "Password Option" does not enable us to support:

• Use of our filling brain to ensure that fillable fields are detected correctly (and the ability to quickly update the filling brain for websites where filling isn't working properly)
    • Suggested passwords right on the page
    • Filling of credit cards, addresses, and other types of items
    • Masked email aliases
    • Integrations with services such as Privacy.com and Brex
    • Remembering and prompting you to "Sign in with" if you use a platform to sign in
    • Create custom passwords right from your browser's toolbar
    • And more!

-Dave

ref: PB-38145958