Rarely works with Windows Hello

Daisame
Daisame
Community Member

I use 1Password on my work laptop, my home laptop, and my home PC, and it rarely works properly with Windows Hello. It is very hit or miss, but mostly miss. On my work laptop, it prompts me for my master password, THEN asks me for my Windows Hello PIN. Sometimes it will ask me for my Windows Hello PIN, but usually the other way around. On my home PC, I have face unlock and it rarely will work with 1Password, but sometimes it does. On my personal Laptop, it behaves like my work laptop, which again, will prompt me for my master password, THEN ask for my Windows Hello PIN. It is extremely frustrating. I have to keep Bitwarden installed on all my machines just to use to get my 1Password master password to unlock it, so I can then use it. Seems to work just fine on my android devices though. There is a plus.

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.10.27 (81027003)
Extension Version: 2.21.0
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Hello @Daisame! 👋

I'm sorry that Windows Hello for 1Password isn't working properly on all three of your Windows PCs. So that I can better understand the situation can you tell me the following:

1. When the issue occurs, are you usually unlocking the 1Password desktop app itself or the browser extension?
    2. When the issue occurs, have you already unlocked 1Password at least once since you last restarted or shut down your Windows PC? Does 1Password unlock properly using Windows Hello after the first unlock until the next time that you restart or shut down your PC?
    3. Are these issues new or have you always been running into them since you've started using 1Password 8?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• Daisame
    Daisame
    Community Member

Hi Dave,

1) I am usually unlocking it through the Desktop App, as the extension normally opens the desktop app.
    2) If I unlock 1Password once, it is fine for the day. When I restart or log out, I have to relog in and that is when I would be faced with the Master Password requirement and not working with Windows Hello
    3) 1password has never worked consistenly with Windows Hello in the couple of years I have been using it. I have just been working around it, hoping it would get fixed.

• @Daisame

Thanks for the reply. To unlock with Windows Hello without entering your password after you restart, your PC will need to use the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) if it has one. Try these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Click your account or collection at the top of the sidebar and choose Settings.
    3. Click Security and turn on Use the Trusted Platform Module with Windows Hello, then click Turn On.

Does that improve the situation? If the option was already turned on then let me know and I can help further.

-Dave

• Daisame
    Daisame
    Community Member

It does not help. I am aware that it requires TPM. The fact that sometimes it works, and othertimes it does not, should rule that out as the problem.

• @Daisame

I'm sorry that those steps don't help. The next time that the issue occurs, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave