Apple Watch unlock isn't working

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Unable to unlock with Apple Watch.

Comments

• testastretta
    testastretta
    Community Member
    Options

Broken. No longer works.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @testastretta! 👋

I'm sorry that Apple Watch unlock isn't working on your Mac, I've split your post in a new thread so that we can discuss the issue that you're seeing separately. As a start, can you try the following:

1. Disable Apple Watch Unlock in 1Password for Mac (1Password > Settings > Security > Uncheck "Apple Watch"). (If you don’t see the Apple Watch option in 1Password then skip this step.)
    2. Disable Apple Watch Unlock for your Mac (In the MacOS menu bar:  > System Settings > Touch ID & Password > Uncheck your Apple Watch under "Use your Apple Watch to unlock your applications and your Mac")
    3. Turn off your Mac.
    4. Restart your Apple Watch: Restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support
    5. Turn on your Mac.
    6. Enable Apple Watch Unlock for your Mac (In the MacOS menu bar:  > System Settings > Touch ID & Password > Check your Apple Watch under "Use your Apple Watch to unlock your applications and your Mac")
    7. Enable Apple Watch Unlock in 1Password for Mac (1Password > Settings > Security > Check "Apple Watch").

If that doesn't work, can you share more details of the problem you’re experiencing? Any information you can provide, such as an error message and steps to reproduce the issue, will help me understand what’s going on and work on a solution.

-Dave

• testastretta
    testastretta
    Community Member
    Options

Dave,

Thank you for your reply. I've done everything suggested above. This has been going on for awhile now. It's infrequent, but 1P just doesn't recognize the Watch being present -- even though I am able to unlock the machine with it. Generally, disabling/re-enabling Watch in 1P fixes it. Pretty elusive. No error messages at all. Just tried it now -- no problems. If I discover any other causes or error messages, I'll pass them on. Cheers.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@testastretta

I'm sorry that the steps didn't help. The next time that the issue occurs, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• testastretta
    testastretta
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

After several more failures, I am confident to attribute this to macOS losing/forgetting its authorization to my watch. I need to re-enable it for screen access, and that fixes 1P validation 100% of the time. Apple's bug, not yours. Cheers.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@testastretta

Our developers did identify a few issues on the Apple side that were causing reconnection issues with Apple Watch and feedback was filed with the Apple team. Hopefully things improve in a future update to macOS.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#18393