Google Drive Support

Options

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@mverde‌ @saad You have been in discussion with Google about your problems getting GoogleDrive to sync properly. Can you confirm whether this:

Google Drive version 3.4.0 allows users to upload and save files from other apps without touching the main Google Drive app

has anything to do with resolving the issues you've come across?

• @RichardPayne I believe that announcement is only relevant to iOS, as it is specifically about support for extensions in iOS 8. Unfortunately, this doesn't have any bearing on the issues that need to be resolved before we can adopt Google Drive support. On a positive note though, we have had some promising conversations with our contacts at Google about the specific issues that currently prevent it from being a viable sync solution for 1Password on Android. I can't share any more details than that at this point, but we will provide more information as we are able.

• flashkiddy
    flashkiddy
    Community Member
    Options

Well, nevertheless, I'm upvoting this, since I just want to ditch 1password and use Google Drive.

• peri
    Options

Hi @flashkiddy‌. Thanks for your feedback. I'm adding your vote for Google Drive support. :)

• StinkyPants
    StinkyPants
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Google Drive support

• peri
    Options

Thanks @StinkyPants‌, I've added your vote. :)

• TristanBerger
    TristanBerger
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Another +1 for Google Drive.

Currently I have Dropbox installed just for 1Password. I avoid Dropbox because renaming a file to a name different only in letter case (eg "test.txt" -> "Test.txt") causes Dropbox to fail to sync it, and when I reported the bug they told me it is a know issue, unavoidable, and to stop renaming files in such a way. I know all software has bugs, but I am very uncomfortable using software written by a team that responds to bug reports by falsely claiming that fixing it is impossible, rather than attempting to do so.

• saad
    Options

Thanks for your vote @TristanBerger‌!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@TristanBerger‌

and when I reported the bug they told me it is a know issue, unavoidable, and to stop renaming files in such a way. I know all software has bugs, but I am very uncomfortable using software written by a team that responds to bug reports by falsely claiming that fixing it is impossible, rather than attempting to do so.

Try to be a little fair to them. The people answering support questions often are not developers. They've been told that it's not possible, but probably not why. I agree with you that in it will be technically possible, but it might not be practical. You might find that given they current code base that support for case sensitivity would require changes in a lot of places with the associated testing overhead.

Impossible in this context more than likely means impractical in the short term.

• TristanBerger
    TristanBerger
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne‌

I guess you're right, my comment was a bit angry. That said, I didn't just leave them a message, I spent hours trying to communicate with them directly and through their forums and failed in both approaches. It's hard for me to believe that a company that makes it that difficult to report a bug is interested in hearing about them.

And I do understand the developer's perspective. I write software too, I know you're 100% right that I can't judge the difficulty of the fix from here. But as a user, my life gets a lot easier when I judge software by its performance, not my empathy for the people behind it. And as a piece of software, Dropbox does not sync files as reliably as its competitors. And I can't even get a "We'll look into it" out of them, I get a flat-out "We will not fix this.".

If you want to continue this discussion I would rather do it on Dropbox's forums, where they are more likely to be aware of it and get their word in.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@TristanBerger‌

I just did some testing I was wrong. I suspect that this is an Android platform issue. I just went into my dropbox folder using an Android file browser and tried to change the casing on a file. I could not, getting the error "the filename already exists".

While it is certainly true that it also doesn't work on OSes that do support case sensitive file names, I suspect that this is a "common feature set" problem. They maybe don't want to support it on some platforms but not others as it would lead to inconsistencies.

It is curious that Android is case insensitive though, given its Linux roots.

• jaybowles
    jaybowles
    Community Member
    Options

You're obviously working on this but +1 for Google Drive.

In the short-term I'll use Dropbox but syncing 1Password will be the only thing I'm using their service for.

• saad
    Options

Thank you so much for your vote @jaybowles!

• qw3r
    qw3r
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• saad
    Options

Thank you for your vote! :)

• naartjie
    naartjie
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi, I started evaluating 1Password yesterday (Mac+Android), because at first glance on the webs, it seemed better than the competition.

Phew, this thread is very very long, and quite old. Yes, I am here because I would like to see Google Drive sync supported on Android, but please don't thank me for my vote, I would prefer if someone from AgileBits could give an official reply with status: what is the problem with the Google Drive SDK, that the developers of SafeInCloud and Safe+ were able to work around? Is it just because they are sneaky Russians/Ukrainians? ;-P

BTW, your FB login is not working:

I know it's not the same, but maybe fix it, as it doesn't boost confidence about your app. The idea of entrusting all my online identities to you guys leaves me feeling vulnerable ;-O

• andrijn
    andrijn
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Google Drive support. My company just converted to all Google Apps and sharing through Google Drive, and Dropbox is blocked at the company's firewall. When @ work I also connect locally via Wi-Fi to the company's network with my Android phone, so Drive (folder) sync would be the easiest choice. After having a "password epiphany" given all the data breaches and password vulnerabilities I've been reading about (including several great blogs at your site) I want to start informing my work colleagues about 1Password too, and it would be a much easier sell if they could (easily) sync up through Google Drive. Thanx!

• Hey @naartjie! Thank you for trying out 1Password! While I can appreciate that you, like many others in this thread, would like to hear concrete details of our plans for Google Drive, I'm afraid that we simply don't discuss our development efforts in that kind of detail. We prefer keeping our discussion forums a place to collect feedback that includes bug reports and feature requests from our beta users.

We certainly understand the importance of having Google Drive as a sync solution in 1Password for Android and that fact is not lost on our development team. We don’t have any new updates on the development progress at this time, but we will post any new information here when we have something new to share.

As for the FaceBook error you mentioned, I am not sure what that is exactly. We don't treat Facebook logins as different than any other kind of login in 1Password, and we don't make use of Facebook's SDK for Facebook Login. I'm guessing that this is from another application that you are using! Could you please clarify how you got to this error message?

• corylowe
    corylowe
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

+1 for google drive support.

I have been watching this thread for development updates for a while but have never voiced my opinion. I don't like having dropbox solely for one password. I love one password but my employer, Georgia Southern University, uses google apps for all students and faculty. So do many other universities. I have my personal google apps account and my school account so I use those accounts to move files around and collaborate, and I only have dropbox for syncing one password.

Edit: Also, thank you for your wonderful product. It is by far the most useful app that I have on all of my devices because it is the master key to all of the services that I use. It is absolutely indispensable when security is so important and there are so many passwords to keep up with. Sorry I didn't include this praise at the beginning of my original comment.

• Thanks for getting in touch @corylowe! We appreciate your feedback, and I'm adding your :+1: for Google Drive.

Thanks also for your support and the kind words--we kind of love 1Password too! :)

• mperez
    mperez
    Community Member
    Options

Finally, this issue never ends, I'm starting to use dashlane. It's not really as beautiful as 1password but it avoids using dropbox (Yeah!).
    If it's concluding, I will migrate my coworkers.

• I'm really sorry to hear you go. :( I wish we had more news to share, but we just don't at this moment.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about 1Password in the future. Have a nice weekend!

• Snpbond
    Snpbond
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for google drive support, this would cross off one of the only 2 issues I have with 1Password (other being android fillables)

• Hi @Snpbond! Thanks for the feedback. I'm adding your :+1: for Google Drive.

Could you please clarify what you mean by Android fillables? Thanks!:)

• Snpbond
    Snpbond
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

@peri Filling password fields in android apps, I've seen your iOS implementation and it's beautiful, I hope we can get Android up to the same level...I'm following the beta on here and seeing it progress (although I don't like the keyboard approach...swiftkey all the way!)

Regardless, I've been trialing for a week or so and decided to purchase it, good work guys..I'll keep testing/pushing your android support :chuffed:

Thanks!

• Thank you for your support @Snpbond! I'm not sure if you got a chance to see our note about the keyboard implementation, but I would highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already. There are certain advantages of having the keyboard approach and you only need to switch to the 1Password keyboard when you are performing filling. We love to hear your thoughts on it!

• Angel
    Angel
    Community Member
    Options

Like a lot of other user here, I've been patient with waiting for Google Drive support. At this point, though, my dropbox is full and won't allow any further syncing with 1Password. There's nothing I can really delete from DB to accommodate 1Password. Aside from Google Drive development, is there any temporary solution that the team is working on so that I can migrate my data from Dropbox and be able to sync my data again?

+1 Google Drive support

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Have I missed something obvious? Can't you just move other files to Google drive to clear some space on Dropbox for 1Password?

• Angel
    Angel
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne It wouldn't be enough. I would exhaust my Google Drive capacity and not even clear enough space on my Dropbox for it to be usable again. Even if I could move all my files and top off my Google Drive's capacity, I would then just be shifting problems.

• peri
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @Angel.

Unfortunately, we don't have support for any other sync solutions in place at the moment. Others in this thread have had success syncing with Google Drive via local storage sync, which might work for you for time being.

That said, I'm adding your vote as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.