Printing deletes critical text: 1P4 for Mac

Options
SoThere
SoThere
Community Member

Hi techies:

I have a problem with 1P4 Version 4.1.3 (413002).

When printing (to PDF or hard copy), text is eliminated. I've pasted in an example below. Note that 1P deletes text from the backup code. This is clearly a major problem.

It should print:

Enable two-step verification
h4qf XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
If you ever lose your phone, you'll need this emergency backup code to disable two-step verification and access your account.

Here's how it prints:

two-step verification
qf XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
you ever lose your phone, you'll need this emergency backup code to disable two-step verification and access your account.

Thanks for your expertise and ideas,

RJ

Comments

• SoThere
    SoThere
    Community Member
    Options

Also checked with Ben in tech support. He will file a bug report.

Further investigation shows that printing to PDF (or printer) also corrupts Secure Notes and Credit Cards info. Ouch!

Hope the fix will take a high priority.

Cheerio,

RJ

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @SoThere.

Thanks for reporting this bug here and through email. I've found your correspondence with Ben and it looks like there's closure for right now.

• davidn
    davidn
    Community Member
    Options

Closure for who? One user? that ends the thread sjk? I hope AB has learned a serious lesson on this issue. Don't silo your users. Give them rock-solid non-1PW data freedom options. Builds trust, builds loyalty. This 3-to-4 "upgrade" mess has deleted my trust and loyalty. Way back in November already. Finally pdf printing came along and it was not ready for prime time. SoThere/RJ might have his issue resolved but there are plenty of us out here waiting for a real fix. Please build in some secure data transport method in v 4.2 so we can both back up routinely in a non-1PW format and so we can take OUR data out of AB's silo into other products. If you do it well, I'll consider using the product again in the future.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @davidn,

Thanks for your comments. I believe sjk meant there is closure "for right now" in that we've acknowledged the bug, have it filed with our developers, and they plan to fix it.

I just wanted to add here that the 1Password Interchange Format, while developed by AgileBits and named for the 1Password product, is not proprietary. It uses industry standard JSON as its base. In fact there are already 3rd party companies that use it for distributing software licenses. It is an open format, and is even "human readable" (plain text). I'm certainly not suggesting that this is the be-all end-all (and wasn't designed / intended to be). We do plan to fix the bug discussed here so that printing will be a real option, and also have plans to export to / import from other data formats, but I wanted to point out that there is currently an option so as to not be siloed.

You can read more about JSON for a better understanding of how the 1PIF file is formatted.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.