Moving from Dropbox to iCloud syncing - issue [moved to email]

Options
Randomizer
Randomizer
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Hello - I have a family license. My kids each use 1Password with their login (same iMac). I turned off Dropbox syncing and tried to turn on iCloud syncing and was told that there is existing data in iCloud that is to be merged in and asks for my password. Issues began here ...

1. There should not have been another account for my daughter at any time so there should be no data on iCloud.
  2. The request isn't specific as to the password it is looking for. Is it her iCloud password, her 1Password master password or something else?
  3. Neither her iCloud password nor her 1Password password actually work. Entering them just leads to the little shake that I presume indicates 1Password thinks it is the wrong password. I've tried each a half dozen times. I know they are correct (I used the 1Pass password to open the iMac application in the first place and I opened iCloud with her login details separately to double check). What password could it possibly be requesting?
  4. There are no other options. Since I know there is no other info of importance on her iCloud account, I don't need to merge the data ... but 1Password provides no option to not use it.

Essentially - syncing is now off and I cannot turn it on until I am able to overcome this. Please advise.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi @Randomizer,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password right now, and I'll do my best to get you sorted out just as soon as possible!

Now, You mention a family license and multiple users on the same iMac. Is the iCloud account you mention your daughter's own account, or does the family share an account? Please note that iCloud is currently only able to support a single vault, so only one member of the family will be able to use iCloud if the account is shared.

I turned off Dropbox syncing and tried to turn on iCloud syncing and was told that there is existing data in iCloud that is to be merged in and asks for my password.

1Password is asking for the password of the datafile currently stored in iCloud. It sounds to me like a vault may have been accidentally synced to this iCloud account at one point. To remove this data from iCloud:

• Quit 1Password.
    • Open the Finder.
    • Select the Go menu, then Go to Folder.
    • Copy & paste the next line into the prompt, including the tilde symbol.

~/Library/Mobile Documents

• Click the Go button.
    • You'll see a '2BUA8C4S2C~2BUA8C4S2C~com~agilebits~onepassword-osx-helper' there. Delete it.

Now you should be able to enable iCloud for your daughter's vault. Please let me know how this works!

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    Options

I had a family license when in PC. We've moved to Mac and purchased 1P from the mac app store and iOS app store. Each of us has our own vault. = We had all been syncing via dropbox. I'd like to switch over to iCloud. Is this not possible?

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    Options

not sure if 'vaults' is the correct word. The description of how I set it up is accurate. Each user has their own login. We do not share passwords.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Randomizer,

Let's go through what your current configuration for 1Password and iCloud looks like, and understand how you'd like to configure iCloud syncing with it.

My kids each use 1Password with their login (same iMac).

• How many of your kids are using 1Password?
    • Do they all have separate Mac accounts or share the same one?
    • Do they all have separate iCloud accounts or share the same one?

Those last two questions relate to what you mentioned in your latest reply:

Each user has their own login. We do not share passwords.

• How many total 1Password users do you have?

We've moved to Mac and purchased 1P from the mac app store and iOS app store. Each of us has our own vault. = We had all been syncing via dropbox.

• Which systems/devices is 1Password currently running on?
    • Is syncing currently configured on any of those systems/devices?
    • Was Dropbox syncing done by everyone, on every system/device, using the same Dropbox account?

Is your intention for everyone to be using a single (Primary) vault in 1Password and sharing/syncing all its data with everyone else?

If Dropbox syncing was configured and working correctly with 1Password for everyone everywhere, the way you wanted it to, then I'm curious why you're interested in switching to iCloud syncing.

Thanks in advance for answers to those questions and any additional information about your goals for iCloud syncing.

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

I switched to iCloud from Dropbox awhile back. The iPad and iPhone seems to be fine. OSX (Mavericks) gives me an error indicating: 'Problem detected (thanks for the specifics) Update preferences. I click the Fix button which takes me the sync preferences, where nothing is selected. I thought I had switched this from Dropbox but iMacs show as nothing selected. When I try to select it I get the same 'Problem Detected' error. What gives? I am doing exactly as 1Pass requests and yet 1Pass won't let me actually do it.

[Moderator note: originally posted as Syncing no longer works on either of two iMacs]

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    Options

it looks like we never finished this conversation and the issue has persisted - in fact now occurring with me, the primary user. The OSX versions of 1Password (v 4.4.1) will not sync, will not allow me to select iCloud for syncing, and the helper will not populate.

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

same issue here. works fine on iPad and iPhone. Does not work on OSX.

[Moderator note: originally posted in syncing problem with iCloud on my mac]

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    Options

I am having similar issues. All of mine seem to time out to an upgrade and then an attempt to move from DropBox to iCloud. Submitting has not worked since. I just rebooted and received similar, but not exactly the same errors.

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    Options

Honestly - this is darn frustrating. I should have pursued a result last time but I just quit and have been using iMac without this working. Sync doesn't work either. iPad and iPhone are fine but I've created, saved quite a few passwords from one of the iMacs and a few from the other since the attempt to switch to iCloud and so I probably have 3 out of sync databases that would need to be merged to get one complete.

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

I am experiencing the same issue. I've been doing a round robin between two iMacs an iPad and an iPhone. I think I now have all but one iPac working. Can't get the last one to sync ... or to even let me turn sync on.

[Moderator note: originally posted in syncing problem with iCloud on my mac]

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    Options

Moderator - not sure which string is going to be the one we work from. The other one had only one posting. I posted there and again here.
    I now have one iMac and the iPad and iPhone. Although - when I fired up the iPhone version it indicated that syncing could not be done because the vault database had been replaced. I then selected iCloud again and it found the iCloud database and synced. I hope I don't have multiple databases in iCloud.
    Still having the issue with the one iMac. The one with the issue has two other users. They are using the installed 1Pass as well for a small handful of passwords.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Hi @Randomizer,

It'll be most helpful if we keep your iCloud syncing issues all together in this one topic. :)

I've moved your comments from Upgrade failed to open database, endless loop here.

We'll be helping you with this as soon as we can. Thanks!
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Randomizer,

I'm really sorry you're having all this trouble with syncing and connecting to 1Password mini. Since multiple systems are involved we'd like to work with you directly in email to determine what's going wrong where and help you resolve it.

Please send us a Diagnostics Report from both of your Macs, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the reports would also be helpful. Once we've reviewed the reports we'll be able to better assist you with getting 1Password and syncing working smoothly. Thanks in advance!

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    Options

I finally decide to spend some time with this today. Sync has worked fine on my iPad, iPhone and on the Mac in my office. All have been working together harmoniously since switching from DropBox to iCloud. But the Mac in my Family Room is where the problem is. Today I followed the advice provided in another thread. I turned off sync at all locations. Then I turned it off here, selecting to delete the data in the cloud. I restarted all devices and then turned sync back on for each device. Voila ... it worked. For an hour or so. Now - the same family room Mac where the issue lie before is a problem again. Arggghhh! This is frustrating. And right after I saved a few new passwords.

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    Options

thinking this discussion might make sense merged with this one.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @Randomizer,

I'm sorry to hear you're still having an issue on the family Mac.

The other discussion is too big to merge with this one, it'd just make it more confusing to follow. We keep discussions separated to make it easier on both sides to follow.

Since it has been a couple of months since your last post here, we have to repeat the previous request, we need you to generate the fresh diagnostic reports of the affected Mac and any other Macs you're using, email them to support+forum@agilebits.com with a link to this thread, so we can connect the dots.

We simply can't fix your issues here without the extra information.

Thanks!

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    Options

Hello - I submitted my diagnostics. Please let me know what you find and what I can do to correct this. 1P is working on all other devices.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @Randomizer,

We're received your email with the report. Thanks for sending that in.

Please make sure that Sophos is configured to allow local connections on all of your Macs that run it:

Configuring Sophos

Even if it has been okay in the past, OS X updates will sometimes silently clobber its configuration.

Can you let us know if that fixes your problem? If not, we'll continue to do more troubleshooting with you through email. Thanks!

ref: QGK-32968-291

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    Options

I bailed on Sophos and removed it from my other Mac a month or so ago. But I was never having issues with that one. I just made the change to the Mac with the 1P issue. Rebooted and received this error immediately.

repeatedly hit 'try again' to no avail. Had to quit that. Tried to launch the application same error. Even 'quit' works only temporarily. Error keeps popping up. So now - 1P has put this Mac completely out of order. Issue is not an urgent one.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @Randomizer.

Looks like this problem isn't related to your Sophos configuration, although it still shows up as installed/configured on your iMac. Let's keep this discussion and troubleshooting going through email, where Eva has already sent you a reply. And I've closed this topic now so we're not getting wires crossed between here and there. :)

This discussion has been closed.