Change Passwords

Options
jjodod
jjodod
Community Member

I bought 1Password for my Mac and the separate version for iOS today in response to the Heart Bleed bug. Maybe I have misunderstood what the program is intended for. Let me explain what I want to do. Hopefully someone will be able to help me.
I have many, many sites requiring passwords. I use a handful of different ones for all these sites. I planned to change all the passwords to something new and more secure as I came to each site. The first site I went to was my Google mail. On the sign in page I used the password generator for a new password and named and saved it in 1Password. When I went back later to sign in it wouldn't recognize the password. I had to go back to the old one. All I want to do is replace all my current passwords with something new and secure and keep them in one app with only one master password to remember. Can I do this or do I need a different app?

Comments

• Jasper
    edited April 2014
    Options

On the sign in page I used the password generator for a new password and named and saved it in 1Password. When I went back later to sign in it wouldn't recognize the password.

You'll need to visit the website's change password page, not just the sign-in page.

Please see this guide for details:

Updating your passwords

Let us know if you have any other questions. We're always here to help! :)

• jjodod
    jjodod
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the guide, Jasper. I couldn't find anything on line or in 1Password FAQ.

• Jasper
    Options

You're welcome! That article is brand new, so it might not be fully listed everywhere yet.

• paul7
    paul7
    Community Member
    Options

Question. Does this just replace the old password with the new password and keeps the username the same?

I know with 1Password 3, when I try to change the password, it gives me an option to replace my old login info. However, it saves the change password field, which usually means that ironically, it saves the old password as the main password, erases the username info (b/c there isn't a username box in most change password webpages), and it lists the new password under "Saved Form Fields."

Also, if you watch the video, it sure is a ton of clicks and steps to replace the password!! One suggestion to make it faster: 1Password could be smart and default the account to be updated to the account where you last copied the old password from. Wouldn't that make sense? And save an extra click at the end.

• Jasper
    edited June 2014
    Options

Does this just replace the old password with the new password and keeps the username the same?

Yes, only the password is replaced. :)

One suggestion to make it faster: 1Password could be smart and default the account to be updated to the account where you last copied the old password from.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll pass you suggestion along to our developers.

This discussion has been closed.