Extended non-ASCII characters

Options
Heboric
Heboric
Community Member

At one point, I found a thread dating back to 2011 advising that there was a problem with the way that 1Password was handling unicode passwords. I am using 1Password 4 for Mac, and I cannot unlock my database on Firefox on Windows. I suspect this may be related to that same issue.

Can someone confirm that the bug is still present in the current codebase and when this might be fixed? Extended characters are a good idea because not everyone speaks English or Dutch, and extended characters also vastly expand the keyspace for brute forcing the database.

Comments

• Heboric
    Heboric
    Community Member
    Options

Update: There seems to be no problem with iOS either – just the mobile, javascript setup.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Heboric,

Thanks so much for adding your feedback here. I'm sorry to hear that you were having trouble with your Master Password. At this point in time, we are recommending that your Master Password contain only ASCII characters. Please update your Master Password to include only these characters and see if you get better results. :)

• Heboric
    Heboric
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan‌,

While I am certain that maintaining ASCII characters would work, I was hoping to hear if there was a fix planned for unicode, even if limited to BMP. It is 2014, and most products support unicode fully now. Is this an issue that's being addressed? I know that I am not the only customer to have requested this. Thanks

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @Heboric,

I'm not aware of any plans to add support for non-ASCII characters at the moment. Thanks for the feedback though!

• Heboric
    Heboric
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, well, consider this a vote towards that. You're very close already. It's only on the js code that I am having problems with it.

• Jasper
    Options

Vote counted. Thanks again for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.