feature request: hot key to login in new tab [Will consider a modifier key or a separate shortcut]

Options
gveres
gveres
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

I have asked for this a couple times in the past. The only thing I don't like about 1Password is the lack of this hot key.

I use 1Password as a way to go to new sites. When I want to go to my banking site, I press cmd-opt-\, type easyweb and up pops the TD website with me logged in. This is a fantastic workflow.

This works great until you are in a corporate environment with many servers all in the same domain of company.com. Assume I log into our wiki @ wiki.company.com and then decide that I want to go to our share point site. I know at that point that I want share point to open in a new site. I also know that I have to log in. So I want the same workflow I used above to take me to EasyWeb to work here with taking me to share point. But it doesn't. Instead that workflow will attempt to use the share point credentials to log into wiki.company.com (the site my current tab is opened to).

**What I am asking for is a hot key that allows me to tell 1Password to open a new tab, navigate to that site and log in. **

I would also like to have control over what key it is mapped to because I would map it to cmd-opt-\ and I would remap the current command of open the menu to something else that I would never use.

If you added this, 1Password would be perfect in my book.

Thanks
Greg

Comments

• bentomas
    bentomas
    Community Member
    Options

It would be awesome if holding down command or control when you clicked (or hit return) on an item in 1Password Mini would trigger a new tab.

• gveres
    gveres
    Community Member
    Options

that is also a good idea for those that use the mouse. I have found that the combination of flexiglass and 1Password and Alfred mean that I can do a lot of things with just the keyboard. I know when I am hitting the hot key to bring up 1Password if I want it to fill in the login on the screen or take me to a new tab. There is no need for 1Password to try to read my mind, the best solution is to allow me to tell it what I want / expect.

I would find having to also hit ctrl or cmd when hitting enter would be awkward in my keyboard driven workflow.

But if was using the mouse to click on 1Password, then this would be a great way to do it.

• bentomas
    bentomas
    Community Member
    Options

Huh, I never use the mouse, and would only use the command+enter (if they implemented it) in my keyboard driven workflow. To each his own I guess!

But I guess I always open 1Password Mini first and then choose the login I want. I often have multiple logins per website (my wife and I share a vault).

Were you talking about a "Fill Login on current web page" short cut that opens in a new tab always?

• gveres
    gveres
    Community Member
    Options

right now there are two hot keys:
    cmd-\ that fills the current login page with the login. If there are multiple logins for this page (i.e., Facebook for you and Facebook for your wife), it gives you the choice of which login to fill with. This is the hot key for "Fill Login on current web page".

option-cmd-\ that opens the 1Pw Mini menu and puts you in search mode.

cmd-\ works great. I love it the way it is.

option-cmd-\ doesn't work the way I would like to see it work. In my opinion, it does the wrong thing. Once I start a search, the right answer is always to open whatever site I select in a new tab. Right now when you do the search, if the domain matches the domain of the tab that has focus, instead of opening the site you selected in a new tab, it tries to find a login field. This is never what I want it to do. If I wanted to log in on the current tab, I would have used cmd-\, not option-cmd-.

So I am asking for option-cmd-\ followed by a search to ALWAYS open the selected site in a new tab. Or another way, I want it to be "Open and Fill in new tab"

BTW, this rarely affects people who use 1Password solely for home use because there are very few sites that have multiple services and multiple logins on the same domain. But in a corporate setting I run into this every single day. I will be on one internal web server and I will want to go to another web server (both share the same domain of company.com) and instead of opening the second web server, it tries to find and fill the login fields on the page I am on for the first web server.

What I think is going on is that Agile Bits is trying to be clever but it gets it wrong 25% of the time for me. I would rather learn and use a new hotkey that did exactly what I wanted 100% of the time. that is when I hit cmd-option-\ it needs to always open in a new tab.

• MikeT
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

@gveres, Thanks for sharing your use case for us. I'll file a request in our tracker to see if we can add a separate shortcut to open in a new tab or add a modifier key support, so that pressing Command + Enter will open it in a new tab instead of current tab.

PS: Since this isn't related to the betas, I've moved your thread to the general 1Password 4 for Mac forum.

• gveres
    gveres
    Community Member
    Options

HI Guys

I would like to ask people what their workflow is with multiple servers in the same domain and different passwords? In a corporate environment, there are sometimes hundreds of servers that all have potentially different user names and passwords. But 1Password gets very confused with this environment and doesn't behave consistently.

I am wondering how others are dealing with it? Here is an example of what I mean.

In our environment we have two internal servers, one for our wiki (wiki.example.com) and one for our bug tracking tool. (bugs.example.com).

It doesn't matter what my login details are for those two systems, but lets assume they are different.

My standard workflow is to use 1Password as a bookmark system. So I am constantly typing cmd-\ to open the 1Password mini menu, then typing something like wiki and hitting enter. As long as I am not on the bugs.example.com site, this will open a new tab and log me into the wiki. But when I am on bugs.example.com, 1Password searches for the user name and password field and then fills in my username and password on those fields if they are present.

This is incredibly annoying because it didn't do what I expected to do: it didn't open a new tab and log me into the wiki, like it does every time I am sitting on a site that is not *.example.com.

Does anybody else run into this? If not, what is your workflow? I run into this 5-10 times a day. And that is after I know that I should be opening a new blank tab and then doing cmd-\ to search for the wiki site.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. I have asked for a feature request a few times to make this work properly but it has fallen on deaf ears. :(

Thanks
    Greg

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi Greg ( @gveres ),

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting 1Password mini to behave the way you'd like it to.

Perhaps @Megan's explanation of Lenient URL Matching (post #3) will be of some help.

And also @JasperP‌'s description of criteria for matching/sorting in 1Password mini ( post #10).

Another possibility, at least in certain instances, might be to use the Option-Command-\ (⌥⌘\) shortcut [for Show 1Password mini] instead of Command-\ (⌘\) [for Fill Login on current web page].

Please let us know if anything suggested there is helpful. If not, we'll dig deeper for other options that are. :)

• gveres
    gveres
    Community Member
    Options

sorry when I said cmd-\, I mean option-command-.
    the problem is that option-command-\ doesn't always open in a new tab. I have requested that it always open in a new tab or that we get a new hot key that will always open in a new tab.

The frustrating part is that it is so inconsistent. (it is very consistent in its behaviour, what is inconsistent is the page that I am currently on when I want to go to another site in the same domain) Sometimes it does what I want and I love it (when I am not already on a site for that domain) and sometimes it just sits there doing nothing (when I am already on an example.com site).

I will dig up the other two feature request post.

BTW, I did try the lenient URL matching when it came out and for some reason it made it worse. I should read the post you mention and see if I did something wrong.

but really if there was a hot key that ALWAYS opened in a new tab that would be awesome. I don't know how everybody isn't running into this. I can't be the only one that uses 1Password as a bookmark manager. I open all my sites using option-command-\ and then typing part of the name i gave the site. This is a fantastic workflow - when it works.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for those additional details, @gveres.

I may have an explanation for what's happening there, but still have a few questions:

… and sometimes it just sits there doing nothing (when I am already on an example.com site).

Are you pressing Option-Command- \ and nothing happens?

BTW, I did try the lenient URL matching when it came out and for some reason it made it worse.

With the issues you've described, is Lenient URL Matching enabled or disabled?

but really if there was a hot key that ALWAYS opened in a new tab that would be awesome.

In other words, you'd like a way to open and fill with a new tab that overrides filling on the current page?

I open all my sites using option-command-\ and then typing part of the name i gave the site.

And in some cases that's filling on the current page instead of opening and filling with a new tab?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

• gveres
    gveres
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Yes if I am on wiki.example.com and I press option-cmd-\ and type bugs and bugs.example.com is selected, then "nothing" happens. what really does happen is that 1Password is trying to fill in the user name and password of bugs.example.com into fields on the existing wiki.example.com page. It appears to do nothing because I am not on the login page of wiki.example.com

I will have to try Lenient URL matching again to remind me what the issues were.

Yes I would very much like a hot key that always does an open and fill with a new tab. If I want to fill on the current page, then I wouldn't type option-commmand-\, I would type command-\.

To answer your last question, I always use option-command-\ to "go to a new site". But as I described above, if I am on an example.com site and I want to go to another site, then the option-command-\ method of "go to a new site" fails because it wont take me to the site I typed, it tried to use the password for that new site as the login creds for the page I am on.

I think I hit this issue 5-10 times a day. :(

Thanks
    Greg

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi Greg ( @gveres ),

Hopefully I fully understand your predicament now, and please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Instead of only having Login Using (Fill Login) behaviour for a selected matching item when 1Password mini is opened on certain web pages, you'd like a way to override it with Open Login (Go & Fill) behaviour.

That isn't possible at the moment but I'm happy to pass along your suggestion to our developers, including this:

If I want to fill on the current page, then I wouldn't type option-commmand-\, I would type command-.

I see your point.

The easiest workaround is to simply open a new tab (e.g. using Command-T (⌘T)) before opening 1Password mini and selecting an item. Another is to select open and fill for a website field in the item details of a mini window:

It's possible to use keyboard navigation to reach that field, then press Return.

I hope that helps!

• gveres
    gveres
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @sjk‌

yes I am aware of those methods. I mostly use the open a new tab when I recognize that I am already on a page from the domain that I want to go to. But it slows me down and puts needless cognitive burden on me for something that should just work this way anyway. :) Ok, clearly that is just my opinion.

I posted this because I am surprised that others don't run into this. Maybe most of your customers are using 1Password in a corporate environment, where the multiple domains for logins are rampant. They aren't so common for consumer use.

As for using the details page and navigating to open and fill, that is a lot of keystrokes for something that could be option-command-\ <a few characters that find the website>. Now I have to add <left arrow> tab, tab, escape. And I would have to do this for every single page that I open so that I don't have to worry about first figuring out that 1Password is going to fail to open the page given the current circumstance.

Anyway, thank you very much for listening. I do love 1Password. This is the only thing in the entire product that I really wish was changed.

Greg

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey Greg ( @gveres ),

Since you started both topics and they essentially overlap, I've appended your newer one (titled "workflow question: multiple servers in the same domain - how?") to this older one (which I hadn't noticed earlier) with your original request.

And instead of creating a new request in our tracker, I've added notes from the recent discussion to the request that @MIkeT filed for you earlier. Rather than using some other shortcut, I'd personally prefer Option-Return to override filling with the selected item on the current page and instead open a new tab. Of course any modifier/shortcut alternative would be quicker and easier than selecting open and fill in item details. :)

Thanks for your detailed feedback and the kind words!

ref: OPM-1732

• gveres
    gveres
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Just one comment, I personally wasn't knocked out with the option of having option-return force the open. It isn't really natural. Try it and then assume that this is the combination that you are going to use every single time you want to open a new web page and that this is the only interaction you have with 1Password. (Ok maybe 20% of the time you will do command-\ to fill because you clicked on a link to a website in your email.)

it just don't feel comfortable to have to go from option-command-\, to typing some characters to option-return.
    I would much rather ask for a dedicated hot key (preferably configurable because I would change it immediately to option-command-\) that will open 1PW mini in a mode where once I hit return, it will always open a new tab.

Thanks
    Greg

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for sharing your preferred preference for this option, Greg. :)

This discussion has been closed.