Two password generator things

Options
Censorydep
Censorydep
Community Member

First, a suggestion: I'd like to be able to use the password generator without unlocking 1password. It seems like a very low-risk feature and I can't understand why it needs to be behind the login.

Second: a small bug report: previously, I could manually select a generated password and use cmd-C to copy it. As of today's version, I must now use the "copy" button. This requires more mouse-clicks as the button seems to revert to "Fill", so I must switch it every time. Please return to allowing me to use the built in OS copy functionality, and also consider making the Copy/Fill selection sticky.

Thanks!
Todd

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

I'd like to be able to use the password generator without unlocking 1password. It seems like a very low-risk feature and I can't understand why it needs to be behind the login.

1Password needs to be unlocked so that your generated password can be stored in your vault. If your vault was encrypted, the passwords you generate wouldn't be saved anywhere.

Please return to allowing me to use the built in OS copy functionality, and also consider making the Copy/Fill selection sticky.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll pass it along to the developers.

We are looking to make the password generator more easily accessible using the keyboard in the future. :)

• riclewis
    riclewis
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to second this. Quick and easy password generation is the second-highest reason I bought this software, the first being secure storage of passwords across multiple devices.

Please enable access to the Generator without unlocking the vault. It's actually a (small) security risk leaving the vault open just to generate new passwords.

Also, an explicit "regenerate" button would be good. At the moment, the only way to regen a new pass with the current settings is to dismiss the dialogue entirely, and then access it again (via the Menu Bar or the Browser Plug-in).

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @riclewis,

We'll look into Password Generator usage with 1Password unlocked that both you and Todd ( @Censorydep ) would like. A Password Generator "Light" mode of locked usage could be possible, limiting functionality that requires 1Password to be unlocked to work properly. For example, Fill might be disabled even when a supported web browser has foreground focus. And Copy wouldn't be able to create a Password item (as it currently does) or might prompt to unlock so it could. This relates to something Todd wrote:

As of today's version, I must now use the "copy" button. This requires more mouse-clicks as the button seems to revert to "Fill", so I must switch it every time.

When the browser doesn't have foreground focus, 1Password mini's Password Generator will only have a Copy button (with an option-less inverted triangle still visible, which is a bug).

We have a request in our tracker for adding a redo/remix/regenerate button and I've added your "vote" to it.

Clicking a radio button (including a currently selected one) in the Password Recipe of Password Generator will regenerate the password, e.g.:

Toggling checkboxes or adjusting sliders there also does it. I hope that helps a bit. :)

Thanks, guys!

This discussion has been closed.