Sites with multiple saved passwords

Options
jifarris
jifarris
Community Member

Hi y’all!

Usually when I have multiple passwords saved for one site, 1Password will ask me which I want to use (after I've hit ⌘+). But on a few sites that have multiple passwords saved, it doesn't ask – it just picks one. This can be very frustrating. Any tips?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jifarris,

I'm sorry for the trouble here. It sounds to me like this might be the result of precise domain matching, a feature we introduced in version 4.2. Prior to that, 1Password would match Logins based on the domain only. This caused a lot of trouble for users who had multiple Logins for different subdomains of the same domain. With precise domain matching, 1Password considers the whole URL when sorting.

What this means is that if the URLs within your Logins vary slightly, one or two of these Logins might match the domain more precisely. If only one URL is a precise match, it will be filled automatically instead of presenting you with options. There are two things you can do here to improve 1Password's behaviour:

• Edit the Logins to ensure that the URL is consistent for all these Logins
    • Enable 'Lenient URL Matching' in Preferences > Browser, to return to the previous method of sorting.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• jifarris
    jifarris
    Community Member
    Options

Oh yeah! I heard about that feature but hadn't fully thought it through. Thank you so much

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jifarris,

Happy to help! Please let us know if you find anything else weird about 1Password. We'll get it sorted! :)

This discussion has been closed.