Can 1Password automatically log me into a site by just going to it? [Not at the moment]

Options
tokyotony
tokyotony
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

I am trying out another password manager which seems to actually automatically log me into a site by just going to the web page itself, ie I don't have to select anything from a drop down list...it just logs me in automatically. I find this very convenient. Can 1Password do this?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

The short answer is No, 1Password can't do that. I've read a rationale for why they have done it that way, but I can't remember it at the moment. I expect you will get a pointer when an AgileBits support person happens by.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Tokyotony,

At the moment, that is intentionally not supported. However, there are three quicker ways to fill in:

1. If you already visited the site, pressing Command + \ will fill and submit the form for you without bringing up the 1Password mini
    2. You can double click on the item in the main 1Password app that'll take you to the site and 1Password will fill and submit the form for you.
    3. The same is true for opening 1Password mini up and searching for the site to log in. The quickest way to do that is by pressing Command + Option + \, which brings up 1Password mini, type the name of the site and then press the enter key on it. Note if you have 1Password mini running all the time, that means you can do this from any apps, it is not required to open a browser first.

We didn't do this originally because we feel the filling should be invoked by the user, so that the tool doesn't accidentally fill in when it shouldn't. Not to mention, many users have multiple accounts per site, so they'd like to see the list before they fill in.

However, based on the feedback we're getting, we might be able to add an option to enable this instant auto-fill feature. I'll add your vote to the list.

• tokyotony
    tokyotony
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I can understand the dilemma when someone has multiple accounts. Perhaps you have a setting whereby if there are multiple logins per account/site to not allow auto fill and/or you do it account by account. Something like that. Anyway, just a suggestion.

• Roy Nasser
    Roy Nasser
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I understand the rational for not "filling in and submitting" a form automatically... potentially this could cause problems (lets say 1p confuses a page with a password and purchase confirmation), but coming from other password managers (lastpass in particular, but others do this in some way too like even chrome or safari), I'd like to have an "indication" that the page contains saved passwords... LastPass is awesome in that it adds its little icon inside the textfield of the username/password fields. But just a change in the 1password browser extension button color, for example, would be great... It reminds us of whether we have already signed up, or whether we should maybe try with some "standard" password we tend to use (and then change it to an auto-generated one and save), or whether we just never signed up...

With about 1000 items mostly passwords on my keychain its a pain to have to click the 1password browser extension everytime I hit a login screen just to see if I have a saved password or not....

I'm currently evaluating a change from LastPass (reasons for leaving: MAIN - wanted to store attachments with information, sch as credit card images, ID images, etc, Secondary: found some of its form filling a bit cumbersome...but nothing I wanst used to...)... I'm trying out 1P again now (I used to be a v3 user for a long time), but this is really bothering me cause even though I have the attachments I missed with LP, the amount of time I spend "requiring" an ID/CC scan is much less than the amount of time I spend browsing... so in the end I may just go back to LP... Please tell me this is in the works?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Roy,

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're interested in a feature like this! I can certainly understand how it could be useful. As @MikeT mentions above, we are looking into options for this based on the feedback we have been receiving. Unfortunately, I can't give you much more detail than that. This doesn't mean that we're not working on it, or taking this seriously, but there are just too many factors involved in developing a new feature, and we certainly don't want to promise something that ultimately becomes impossible due to factors beyond our control.

I can tell you though, that our developers have been great at listening to users and implementing popularly requested features wherever possible, so please do keep it coming!

This discussion has been closed.