Best way to set up 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password for iOS for a husband and wife

jojosmama
jojosmama
Community Member

My husband and I are both interested in using 1password, and we each have a Mac computer, iPad, & iPhone. We need help deciding how to purchase the app so that we can share some information and use it across our devices.

I have read through the Mac App Store, agilebits website, various discussions, and iTunes, and I come away with more questions than answers. I have been hunting through all the information for over 2 hours this morning and still don’t feel confident about how to proceed.

How would you recommend proceeding if the following conditions exist:
My husband and I have separate Apple ID’s.
We want shared access to certain websites.
And when we want to generate a new, more secure password for a site that we share, we want the other person to be able to use the new more secure password.
We want individual access to other websites.
We want to be able to use some of the same passwords we already have for our individual sites.
We want access to the other’s information if something were to happen to one of us and that person was incapable of decision-making or money-handling.

We also have a few questions that are inherent in the above conditions, but want direct answers:
Does 1password automatically generate a password or can we continue using the password we already have?
If one of us changes a password to a shared account, how does the other person get the new password?

Thank you for your help!!

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited May 2014

@jojosmama

Ok let me see if I can help. A little back story mixed with answers. :) You have quite a few good questions here and I am going to try and not confuse you.

The Wife and I share all passwords, we are using the new multiple vaults features. In that She has a vault on her machine that contains all her items that I don't want to necessarily see each and every time on my machine. They are still within her vault which is also on my machine (by choice) but when I open my machine I start out with my personal passwords etc. I can open other vaults which contain "Family" data etc

We have a shared vault that contains all our family logins like, bank logins, software licenses etc. All we need to do is simply change to that vault when ever we need to access that data. Changing vaults takes only a few seconds.

You can continue to use what ever password you wish with what sites you choose. 1Password will never force you to update a password. Its all in your hands. However it has a few great tools that can help you with determining the need to change the password.

The Mac App Store version doesn't support multiple vaults within iCloud syncing, and this is what I think you both are looking to do (multiple vaults). You can still use the Mac App Store version so long as you use Dropbox syncing. Additionally the AgileBits version allows Dropbox syncing.

Just so you know each vault can have separate Master Password's or they can be identical. We have a mix, so what we did was just incase of the scenarios you mention. We created a record in the "Family" vault that contains a record of all the vault passwords we use. That way as long as both parties know that password they could indeed access any vaults in those circumstances.
    The reason vaults can have separate passwords is on his machine he will create a primary vault for his passwords, logins, etc he can have his own Master Password. Which is easier on him to remember. The same situation applies to your machine, your machine your first vault will be your primary and can have a separate Master Password.
    One interesting thing is once 1Password is setup on each of your machines, it keeps a record of the hash's used to unlock the other vaults. If you have your vault, his vault and a family vault all on your machine. All you need to do is type in your Master Password to unlock the vault and 1Password knows you have access to all 3.The same goes for his machine, he enters his Master Password on it and 1Password knows he is suppose to access all vaults on that machine.

As for syncing Dropbox sounds the best and most streamlined. It is also what the wife and I use for our syncing methods.

You have the 1Password app installed and the Dropbox app installed on your Macs. When one of you updates a password for a site, it is saved in the datafile within Dropbox. Dropbox then syncs it to the other machines. 1Password on the other machine notices the change and updates the datafile. It all takes only mere seconds if Dropbox is running.

I have tried to keep the answers more direct and not give you all the little if's and's or but's as 1Password is pretty good at allowing minute changes to vary the experience of the user. I just don't want to overwhelm you and then confuse you.

I would suggest downloading the version from the AgileBits site it has a free trial available. This will allow you to kick the tires. You can do the trial on 2 machines and Dropbox allows for free syncing under 2GB of data. So you can see first hand how all this works. Its a great time to try. I would as above suggest that you set up your vault on your machine first, while setting up his vault on his machine first and then create a shared vault for family stuff.

Here is a blog post on choosing a better master password http://blog.agilebits.com/2011/06/21/toward-better-master-passwords/

I would not focus on getting all your details into 1Password at first but instead get a few logins you know you use daily and then just go about using it to login to the sites.

Feel free to write back with questions as you go thru the trial, even during setup. I am just a user like yourself whom came here much as you did about 7 years ago now and just plain and simple never left. :D Many more user abound here, and quite a few staff. So someone will undoubtedly speak up.

Cheers, till next we speak.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

ps. If you have issue and questions about Dropbox I am also a moderator over at the Dropbox forums. So don't hesitate to ask and if I can answer Ill try to point you in the correct direction.

https://www.dropbox.com if you need more info on Dropbox and the forums link is https://forums.dropbox.com

• jojosmama
    jojosmama
    Community Member

Thank you for your response!

So just to be clear... are you suggesting the family license or single user license from agilebits?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited May 2014

@jojosmama‌

Family license would be the required license for you guys. To be perfectly clear you can do the trial from AgileBits and at the end purchase from the Mac App Store. So you have a full 30 Days to decide.

There are instructions on how to switch between the versions should you guys wish to go that route. For the time being all options are open to you so try the trial and enjoy for a few days before worrying about the purchase options.

AgileBits License :

One seat of the license covers 1 user on as many Macs as they use. So if you are the sole user on 4 macs that equals one license because you are one user. Since its you and the husband that would equate to 2 seats. Additionally they sell Windows and Mac licenses combined if you need that.
    If you have Macs that cannot run 1Password 4 AgileBits can and does supply licenses for the previous versions which are compatible with earlier Mac's.
    Windows Licenses are available for purchase as standalone or family packs if windows versions are needed.

30 Day money back guarantee

• One other note and that is the iOS license is entirely separate from the Mac license because one is being bought through the App store and one thru the AgileBits store.

• Even if you purchased the App store version and the Mac App Store version its is still separate purchases. You can buy the iOS app under one account and install that on all the iOS devices you own.

Mac App Store license :

You can install on as many machines as you wish under that same Apple ID. No way to bundle with Windows versions as the Mac App Store is Mac only. Much harder to get a refund from Apple.

iOS :

You can install on as many iOS devices as you own under that Apple ID. Again much harder to get a refund from Apple

Apple ID:

Refers to the purchasing account and not the iCloud account you use to sync documents etc.

Satisfaction Guarantee / Money Back :

https://agilebits.com/home/money_back_guarantee

Personally :

I will always purchase 1Password from the AgileBits site. I have seen about 3 occasions now where due to restrictions in the way the Mac App Store works, new versions were delayed by a week or possibly two at most ( If I recall correctly ). The site version due to those restrictions always arrives first and is always better at fixing bugs earlier mainly due to the Mac App Store internal review process.

I prefer to always have the latest available at the earliest. Thats why I prefer the AgileBits store version.

Some folks, prefer the Mac App Store for its sheer ease and I am one except for 1Password. So honestly if you prefer that store have no fear the versions are almost identical. With only slightly different wait times for debut of a new version. Oh and only one has iCloud syncing.

:)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@jojosmama‌

A little reading if you wish more info http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/

• jojosmama
    jojosmama
    Community Member

So, if my husband and I have separate Apple ID's, would we each purchase the 1Password for our individual computers? Or would we buy one and install it on both computers?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited June 2014

@jojosmama

What the wife and I do is purchase all apps under a unified Apple ID just for iTunes, Movies, App Store, Mac App Store purchases etc this is the ID that needs to be signed into the app store. ** Not the iCloud section in system preferences.**

We have done this for several years, and we have saved a lot on what could be expensive purchases.

So we end up purchasing once and using it on all devices. Then we each have our own ID used for syncing, emails, etc

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895 - This link will explain some of the details on the use of the Apple ID and how to use it for purchases while also using another for syncing, emails etc. * Added bonus its endorsed by Apple and its their store so... no reason not to do it.

cc // Many thanks to @AndrewParker for reminding me of the support link in another thread.

edit:

Its a great way to share movies, apps, iTunes radio / Match etc You can also use the same purchased ID on an Apple TV. It make for seamless movie purchase's on an AppleTV you can pause it, and later pick back up on iPad in the bed room etc. or a Macbook at work etc

• jojosmama
    jojosmama
    Community Member

Can we switch to this unified Apple ID if we have been using separate ones until now? Maybe just choose either mine or his to use from now on? Would one of us then have 2 Apple ID's associated with our computer or would the old Apple ID be converted into the new one? And will it affect any of the purchases we have made before the unification?

• Jasper
    edited June 2014

Hi @jojosmama,

You can download purchases from either one of your Apple IDs by signing into the App Store using one of them, and downloading any purchased apps or content, then signing in using the other Apple ID and downloading any purchased apps or content. The downloads from both Apple IDs will remain authorized on your device.

• Marc Bernstein
    Marc Bernstein
    Community Member

Hi @thightower‌,
    I am in the same boat as @jojosmama‌, however, but with a slight twist.

My wife and I have separate iCloud accounts for mail, contacts, individual calendar, documents, etc. All of our IOS devices have 'iCloud" configured to our separate account. We have a shared iCloud account for shared contacts, shared reminder, shared calendar (kids), but those are configured on through "Mail" and "Calendar" on our IOS devices. It is my understanding that you can have only one, main, "iCloud" account setup on an iPhone or iPad.

We also have separate dropbox accounts, for other reasons. While I can own multiple dropbox accounts, my computer and IOS devices can only be synced to one of them at time.

I have been playing with 1Password4 for the last week and have had great success in synching between my devices on both my iCloud and dropbox accounts. I love the app. However, I can't see a way to share any of my vaults with my wife, because:

1. With iCloud sync, it will only sync to the main account on the IOS device. It doesn't ask me for iCloud credentials when I enable sync. We each have separate iCloud accounts.
    2. With Dropbox sync, it will only sync to the dropbox account setup on the IOS device. It doesn't ask me for dropbox credentials when I enable sync. We each have separate Dropbox account.
    3. I cannot use folder sync because it's not supported on IOS devices.

Is there a solution that I am missing?

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Mark,

You're right, if you and your wife have individual iCloud accounts, it will not be possible to share vaults. Luckily, however, there is a solution using Dropbox. Simply store your 1Password.agilekeychain inside a folder in Dropbox (using the steps here: set up Dropbox in 1Password 4 for Mac, and then log into the Dropbox website and share the folder (not the 1Password.agilekeychain itself) with your wife's Dropbox account. Then this keychain will be available on all your devices.

I hope this helps, but I'd be happy to provide some more detailed instructions if necessary. :)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

Hey Mark,

Looks like Megan covered the bases. if you have further questions ask away.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited June 2014

@‌jojosmama

You can do signing in and our of accounts as needed to get the purchase you need.

BUT, Apple to the rescue. On Monday they announced account sharing. I want go in details as so many have already wrote about it. In short don't made drastic changes yet. This fall things will be much easier to manage for you in your situation.

http://mashable.com/2014/06/02/ios-8-family-share/

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

I was trying to determine if family sharing includes applications, as well as music, video, etc. But I didn't see a clear statement about applications from the App Stores. Did I miss something?

I also have become concerned about iCloud. I saw something written that said the new iCloud features would only be available to application purchased on the App Store. Will that mean that buyers from the AgileBits web store will be locked out of that, as we've always know might be possible.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@AndrewParker‌ - thanks for reading for me what I should have read for myself! :\">

This discussion has been closed.