Question and Future-Request

Options
bogomil22
bogomil22
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

Hello, i am using 1P4 for Mac and iOS.
I am using Dropbox to sync all that stuff.

From time to time I create a Backup in 1P4 for Mac. I guess all that Backups are located at:
"~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups"

1) Are these "1p4_zip" Files also encrypted? If Yes i think it would be nice if Dropbox (or iCloud) is sycning that "Backup-folder" too. So if something happens on the MAC i have all that backup-files in dropbox. Maybe in future 1P4-releases there is a small checkbox in the settings where i can activate that the backupfiles are synced via iCloud/Dropbox.

2) Am I right that the "real" encrypted Data which 1P4 uses are located at: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data ?
I see that the folder-structure and files are different than the folder-structure in Dropbox. ( On my Mac: .blob2-files and in Dropbox it is divided per Vault and filenames are ".1password"). Are both data-structures encrypted with the same strenght ?? Is there a particular reason why the data/folder-structes are different? I guess a uniform folder-structure would be better or? IThe data-structure like in dropbox (one folder/keychain per Vault) is nice.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bogomil22‌

1) Are these "1p4_zip" Files also encrypted?

Yes, your backups are encrypted. You are welcome to copy your backups to Dropbox for safe-keeping, but it is not currently possible to move the location of your backups. This has been done to ensure the reliability of these backups. If the backups were moved to a cloud service, or an external drive and the internet failed, or the drive became disconnected, your backups would not be created.

2) Am I right that the "real" encrypted Data which 1P4 uses are located at: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data ?

In 1Password 4 your data is always stored in the default location. For users who purchased from the Mac App Store, this is ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite and for users on the webstore version the data is located in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password\ 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite.

You can read all about 1Password 4's database design here: Security in 1Password 4. 1Password 3 uses the Agile Keychain design. You can read more about that keychain here: Agile Keychain Design

I hope this answers your questions, but we'd be happy to help if you have any more! :)

This discussion has been closed.