Amazon.com login issue [try recreating the Login item; see post #6]

Options
danrodney
danrodney
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

Recently I'm having issues logging into Amazon.com. Now it always checks the option for "No, I am a new customer." It used to check on "Yes, I have a password." I think the problem started after the 4.2.1plugin update.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

This is no particular help to you, but just checked my account, and in my case, it still has the radio button for my being an existing user selected. This is with Safari and version 4.2.1.b2 of the extension. I assume, though, that this election is the product of a cookie retained in the browser, not anything to do with 1Password. But perhaps I assume incorrectly. I have read here in the forums that there have been some big changes introduced into the extension recently, so I suppose the fact that I am using the beta might affect the difference between your experience and mine.

Edit: Well, I have the bit about filling radio buttons incorrect. I'm told that as of version 4.2 of the extension, 1Password will indeed fill them in. Mea culpa. :\">

• ConorM
    ConorM
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this issue with Amazon.co.uk well. Don't know when it started but I noticed it today.

Even if the "Yes, I have a password:" radio button selected, when I select amazon from the 1Password mini extension, it selects the "No, I am a new customer" and then fills out the email address and password fields and clicks the sigin button.

OS X 10.9.3, Chrome Version 35.0.1916.114, iPassword Version 4.4 (440001) and 1Password mini 4.2.1.90

• crownsox
    crownsox
    Community Member
    Options

I have been having the same problem as danrodney with Amazon.com. I've replicated the issue on two systems: Safari 7.04 on 10.9.3 with the 4.2.1 plugin, and on Firefox 29.0.1 on 10.8.5 with the 4.2.1 plugin.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Are you folks using CMD \ to fill in your credentials? That's what I've been doing, without difficulty. I just go to the account page at amazon.com and press CMD and \ at the same time and off it goes.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @danrodney‌, @ConorM, and @crownsox‌

We've recently made some big changes to the 1Password browser extension, including some much more precise filling capabilities. Please try this:

• Edit the login that you currently have for this website by appending an "Old" to the title - just so you can tell them apart.
    • Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled (including the radio buttons). Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary.
    • Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    • Select Save new login.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

• David Glasser
    David Glasser
    Community Member
    Options

I am seeing this problem too in Chrome, and Megan's instructions fixed it. That said, I sure hope that every single person using 1Password Mac with Amazon isn't going to have to find this post and jump through these hoops!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi David,

I do apologize for the trouble here - I'm sorry if it feels like jumping through a bunch of hoops. The fact is though, that re-saving a Login manually is a great way to help 1Password re-learn the fields that it needs to fill in. This is usually Step1 in troubleshooting, and it often gets things behaving properly. :)

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    Options

Megan - I really believe there should have been a "sticky" posted on the forum, as was done for the auto-submit script fix. This would have saved people, including myself, from needing to post this "problem" brought about by the 4.2 extension update. Your solution seems to be solving my issues...so thank you for that.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @VirgilBoy,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here. I'm so glad that these steps have been getting things working smoothly for you again. :)

• mrsmac
    mrsmac
    Community Member
    Options

Wow am I happy to have stumbled onto this thread. I was going nuts with my Amazon acct log-in. Solution fixed the problem. I second VirgilBoy's comment regarding a sticky post for this.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mrsmac,

I'm glad you found this thread too! Please keep the 'save new Login' steps in mind whenever a Login starts misbehaving, it should save you a lot of future grief. Your feedback here is much appreciated.

• roktoberguard
    roktoberguard
    Community Member
    Options

I am also glad I found this thread. I was a beta tester and saw this issue a while ago. Now, I am back to using the release version of 1P, and was surprised to see it reoccur. Since I use Amazon quite a bit, this was a bit frustrating. Thanks for posting the solution, @Megan, and I would like to bump @VirgilBoy 's request to make this a sticky posting.

• danrodney
    danrodney
    Community Member
    Options

I was wondering if I'd have to resave it or if I could update it. I saved the new login and now it works. Thanks for the help.

• danrodney
    danrodney
    Community Member
    Options

It would be great if there was a way to force update the login without having to save a new one.

• Jasper
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :)

• bucweat
    bucweat
    Community Member
    Options

Megan's directions worked perfectly...my Amazon login is better now :-)

• Jasper
    edited June 2014
    Options

Great to hear! On behalf of Megan, you're welcome.

Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• JasonN
    JasonN
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, where is the gear icon?

Thanks

• JasonN
    JasonN
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I see it now.

• telliott
    telliott
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, when I click the gear and save new login, no new login is created. (It does for other sites, just not Amazon. I renamed the old Amazon login. What am I missing?

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @telliott,

Before clicking save new login, have you filled your login details into the form on the Amazon login page? If nothing is entered on the page, no login will be created.

• telliott
    telliott
    Community Member
    Options

Jasper, Yes, I filled in the form first. I tried it before pressing the "Sign in..." button and after. In both cases the new login did not appear.

• telliott
    telliott
    Community Member
    Options

Oddly, I tried it again today and it worked. Something must have cashed to prevent it from seeing a new login. All set.

• Jasper
    edited June 2014
    Options

I'm glad that worked! Please let us know if you have any other questions. :)

• Steemer
    Steemer
    Community Member
    Options

Lately when I try to log into Amazon using 1 Password, I get an error message that reads "You indicated you are a new customer, but an account already exists with the e-mail mazeroski@hotmail.com" I assumed this was a password issue of some sort so I followed Amazon's instructions for changing it with the same result. I called Amazon and they told me the problem was my password was too long; it should be no more than 9 characters. So I complied and still run into the same problem. I can get into Amazon by manually entering my username and password, but cannot get when the fields are filled in by 1 password. I use Firefox most of the time because I never have been able to get 1Password to work with Safari. This is quite inconvenient. Any ideas?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Try re-creating the login, it's probably the web form details are not quite right. I'm not sure about that advice you got though, my Amazon password is 20 characters long with no issues.

• TigerMO
    TigerMO
    Community Member
    Options

I’m having the same problem with Amazon.com. As soon as 1PW fills in the password, it changes the radio button to “New User” and I get an error message from Amazon saying that an email address is already associated with that email address, hence I’m not a new user. Won’t let me log in.

• Steemer
    Steemer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help; your advice worked. And I agree with you; I think that the Amazon tech support was wrong when she told me to limit my password to nine characters. But you would think they would know. Maybe not.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TigerMO,

Please give @Megan's instructions in post #6 a try for saving a new Amazon.com Login item and see if that resolves the trouble you've been having with that site/page.

Glad to hear it worked for you, @Steemer, via @littlebobbytables. :)

Thanks!

• Steemer
    Steemer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi littlebobbytales. Sorry to report that the problem has returned. The solution worked the one time that I tried it after reading the response. But when I tried it again yesterday, it reverted to the "new user" radio button issue. I can make it work by copying and pasting the password from One Password but that is a klunky workaround. Any other suggestions?

This discussion has been closed.