Window opening ignored

Options
jmvenable
jmvenable
Community Member

I have noticed "several" websites where, if I have already opened the site and have clicked 1Password to log in, nothing happens. But if I then close the website, re-locate the 1Password login info and click, a new window correctly opens and the password is correctly entered. Is there something I can do to correct this behavior? Thanks, John

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi John ( @jmvenable‌ ),

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble here. In order to get this sorted out, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What is the version number of 1Password and your operating system?
    • Which browser are you using? (Including the version number here would be extra-helpful as well.)
    • Does this issue happen consistently with the "several" websites you mention, or is this a more general issue? (If it is restricted to certain sites, I'd love it if you could send along the URLs so we can do some testing here!)

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out! :)

• jmvenable
    jmvenable
    Community Member
    Options

using 1Password
    Version 4.4.1 (441006)
    Mac App Store and OSX 10.9.3 and usually Firefox 29.0.1 and sometimes Safari 7.0.4. This test was with FireFox

I tried several sites with the same essential test. First, I had the login screen cued up in FF (try https://talentsearch.bloomberginstitute.com/) and launched the 1P login for BB. Nothing happened, perhaps because we were still one click away from the login form. Next experiment: start from (https://talentsearch.bloomberginstitute.com/login) and launched 1P. Success (secondary issue: any way to check "remember me" on the form from 1P?).

Then I click "log out" and am taken to https://talentsearch.bloomberginstitute.com/ (no login fields). I launch 1P login for BB. Again, one window is open, it's a Bloomberg window but not the required one for login. Result? 1P puts my email address in the first open field on the window and nothing else. The field isn't labeled anything close to "login" or "name" so there's no credible reason to populate that field.

To summarize: -- Browser open but No windows open, 1P will launch the correct page and correctly populate the login and password.
    -- One window open to Bloomberg domain but not the login window, 1P Login does nothing at all -- won't open new window or otherwise try to open login window, nothing.
    --Two windows open, both to Bloomberg domain, one to the login window. If login window is active, 1P works as expected. If the login window is inactive, 1P does not work at all.

I've tried to be the good scientist and carefully record everything, but there are a lot of variables out there, as you know better than I. But right now, it does not work intuitively. John V

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jmvenable‌

Thanks so much for the detailed report here!

First, I had the login screen cued up in FF (try https://talentsearch.bloomberginstitute.com/) and launched the 1P login for BB. Nothing happened, perhaps because we were still one click away from the login form.

Yup, you're right. To fill your Login on a page, you need to be on the actual login page.

Next experiment: start from (https://talentsearch.bloomberginstitute.com/login) and launched 1P. Success (secondary issue: any way to check "remember me" on the form from 1P?).

There is! You can try Saving a New Login Manually with the checkbox clicked, or simply edit your existing entry and change the setting in the web-form details like so:

I launch 1P login for BB. Again, one window is open, it's a Bloomberg window but not the required one for login. Result? 1P puts my email address in the first open field on the window and nothing else. The field isn't labeled anything close to "login" or "name" so there's no credible reason to populate that field.

When you request that 1Password fill, as you are doing here, 1Password will do its best to fill your information in the available fields on the page. Granted, it doesn't always get it right, and it is even more tricky to do when the page it is trying to fill in isn't a log in page. :)

To summarize: -- Browser open but No windows open, 1P will launch the correct page and correctly populate the login and password. -- One window open to Bloomberg domain but not the login window, 1P Login does nothing at all -- won't open new window or otherwise try to open login window, nothing. --Two windows open, both to Bloomberg domain, one to the login window. If login window is active, 1P works as expected. If the login window is inactive, 1P does not work at all.

It sounds to me like 1Password is behaving correctly here. When you are viewing the site and select your Login from the Mini/browser extension, 1Password notes that the URLs match and will attempt to fill directly on that page. If it is the login page, your details will be filled. If 1Password can find fields that appear to match, it will fill those fields. If there are no appropriate fields, you will see nothing.

To avoid this issue altogether, you might want to try using 1Password Mini to open and fill your Logins for you. Simply use the ⌘\ to open 1Password Mini and start typing the Login title you wish to use. Once it's highlighted, hit 'Enter' and 1Password will open and fill the webpage, and submit if you have that enabled. This is the method that I use for opening nearly all my webpages. I rarely type a URL into the menubar anymore. It's quite handy!

If you are already viewing a site and realize you have to login to continue, be sure you are on the login page and 1Password should fill nicely for you!

I hope this helps explain how 1Password's filling feature works, but we're here if you have any further questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.