My Master password does not work on one of my Macs [resolved by starting over and resyncing]

Options
jwarchol
jwarchol
Community Member
edited August 2014 in Mac

I am encountering an odd issue - my Master password stopped working on one of my Macs (a MacBook Air). The password works just fine on my work mac and another iMac I have at home, but for some reason it stopped working on this one. I have tried logging in to the 1Password app, and into the mini app using the Chrome and Firefox extensions - nothing lets me login on the MacBook Air. Any thoughts on what I can do to resolve this? Would appreciate any advice - thanks in advance!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jwarchol,

If you think you know what the password is, but it is not being accepted, please try some of these tips.

• If you have accents such as è, î and so on, try replacing it with the regular character such as e for è and see if that’ll get you in.
    • Try leaving the caps lock on and/or off. You can also try copying and pasting your master password in a text editor. Make sure it’s an editor that doesn’t sync to the cloud automatically (you wouldn’t want to expose your password in clear view). Copy the password and then paste into the master password field in 1Password.
    • If you entered the password hint for this data file, 1Password will show it automatically in a prompt after every three incorrect attempts. Confirm it’s the right hint that you entered because if not, you may be looking at a different data file.

Please try each tip, for we have found them to be the most common causes of this problem.

If none of those help, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • What are you using to keep things in sync?
    • Do you have multiple vaults enabled?

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out! :)

• jwarchol
    jwarchol
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, thanks for the reply.
    Here's more info:

• No accents in my password, but tried regular chars and caps lock on/off but still no luck.
    • Tried copy/paste from text editor with no luck.
    • The password hint does show up after 3 attempts, and I know the password I am trying is the correct one since I can log in on my other Macs with it.

Info:

• 1Password 4, Version 4.4.1 (441008)

• OS X 10.9.3 Build 13D65 on all three of my Macs

• Chrome extension is v 4.2.1.90

• Firefox extension is v 4.2.1

• Using iCloud to sync

• Only using one vault.

Hope this info helps. Let me know if there is any other info you may need. Thanks so much for the help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jwarchol,

Thanks for getting back to me with that information. Since your Master Password is working fine on your other computers, let's just start fresh on the troublesome computer. Let's try this:

• Go to Preferences > Sync and disable iCloud sync
    • Use Command-Control-Q to quit both 1Password and the Mini.
    • Find your data folder in Finder. The location will vary depending on where you purchased your copy of 1Password (the 1Password > About 1Password menu will tell you this if you can't remember).

• If you purchased from the Mac App Store, your data file will be here:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data

• If you purchased directly from our webstore, your data file will be here:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password\ 4/Data

• Rename this Data folder to Data_old

• Restart your computer

• Launch 1Password
    • 1Password will open as a new user and allow you to set up sync with your iCloud account.

I hope this gets you all sorted out, but if you hit any snags in the process, please let me know and we'll get it straightened out. :)

• jwarchol
    jwarchol
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,
    Sorry for the delay - was away for a couple of weeks...
    I tried what you suggested above but ran into a couple of snags:

• I went to Preferences > Sync but I am unable to disable iCloud sync because 1Password asks me to unlock it before I can make changes.
    • I also looked for the data folder in the finder, but did not find it. I purchased it from the Agile Web Store but there is nothing located in either location. Odd!

I'm wondering if I should just reinstall from scratch? Or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.

• Jasper
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @jwarchol,

Sorry to hear about the continued trouble! Could you please give this a try:

• Open the 1Password app and use Command-Control-Q to quit both 1Password and mini.
    • Open a Finder window.
    • In the OS X menu bar, click Go > Go to Folder...
    • Enter the following path into the dialog box that appeared:
      ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/

• Is there a "Data" folder there? If so, rename it to "Data_old".

• Restart your computer
    • Launch 1Password
    • 1Password will open as a new user and allow you to set up sync with your iCloud account.

If that doesn't help, please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with your forum username and a link to this discussion, to support+forum@agilebits.com and we can investigate further.

• jwarchol
    jwarchol
    Community Member
    Options

@jasperP Thanks, that advice worked and I am now logged back in on this Mac. I appreciate the help. Cheers!

• You're welcome! Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.