Manually exclude duplicates from security audit

Options
alkalifly
alkalifly
Community Member

I see that there are a few threads requesting the ability to manually exclude individual entries from the security audit for various reasons, so this thread might be redundant, but I wanted to chime in with one additional issue that I haven't seen mentioned.

Both HBO Go and Showtime Anytime (I know, first world problems) require that I log in using the ID and password for my cable provider (Verizon Fios). I would like to keep separate entries for each of these sites in 1password, but of course then they appear in the duplicates section of the security audit. I guess I just wanted to mention this situation as another example of why it would be nice to have the option to remove individual entries from the security audit.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If both require the same username and password, have you considered a single login item with both URLs? if it works on both sites you then only have to update one location for both. Maybe it won't work and you will need two login items but it has to be worth a shot no?

• alkalifly
    alkalifly
    Community Member
    Options

That is actually how I am doing it now, with one single entry for the THREE URLs (HBO Go, Showtime, and Verizon Fios), but then I have to either give the entry a long name (verizon/hbo/showtime) or else remember to search for the "Fios" log in when signing in to the app on my iPhone (I know, that's an iOS problem, but the security audit is a Mac feature so I posted in this section).

It's totally workable, and far from a deal breaker, but it is a bit kludgy in the otherwise elegant 1password system. Hopefully an update will allow individual exceptions to the security audit for all of the other various reasons mentioned on this forum (e.g., an old password that the user cannot control or change, or a site that forces passwords to be a four digit number), so I wanted to add one more reason why this change would be nice.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just so we're clear, I'm not trying to imply your idea doesn't have merit when I post, just trying to think of ways that might make your current system more usable for you. I've added my name to a few suggestions that for me would really improve 1Password and I'm waiting, and waiting ;-) (I really, really want a WiFi sync that actually syncs everything as I don't like cloud services).

Anyway, back to your setup. What if you gave the login item a generic name such as cable services and in the note section said "This applies to Fios, HBO Go & Showtime). By default both 1Password and 1Password for iOS will search the notes meaning (I think) you could keep a single entry for all the ones dependent on a single login yet still allow reasonable searching? or do you tend to scan the alphabetical list in the iOS version rather than use search?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alkalifly‌

Thanks so much for taking the time to write in with your suggestions! I hope that @littlebobbytables‌ ideas help out. I do have one final tip that could make things even easier: if you find yourself frequently needing this Login, why not mark it as a Favourite? Then it will be easily available to you in the Favourites tab of your iOS device, no need to search or scroll! :)

• alkalifly
    alkalifly
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables‌, your posts were definitely clear, and I thank you for the suggestions :)
    The notes are definitely a great idea that I wasn't thinking of.

@Megan, another great idea with the favorites, thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alkalifly,

On behalf of @littlebobbytables and @Megan, you're most welcome.

In addition to their great suggestions, maybe a single unified Login item for HBO GO, Showtime Anytime, and Verizon FIOS with a shorter abbreviation-style title like FIOS/HBO/SHO or FIOS+HBO+SHO would help?

• alkalifly
    alkalifly
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @sjk,

Yes! Indeed, that is the solution that is working well for me right now :)
    I can add all of the URLs to the entry, so it's always ready to go when I am at one of the relevant sites, and having all of the names in the title makes it easy to find by searching (plus it is in my favorites as per @Megan's suggestion)

Thanks again to all!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Our pleasure, @alkalifly. :)

Yet another tip is using custom fields to include additional information with your items, when it seems fitting, as an alternative to using notes fields.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to start a new forum topic or email us directly at support@agilebits.com -- we're here to help. Since this discussion has a happy ending I'll close it now. :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

This discussion has been closed.